U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,205,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Silly question makossa, but why not a Macintosh instead of a PC?

I'm in a shop that employs graphic artists who use PCs (company requirement) and to a person they'd all rather be using Macs.
I keep hearing that about Macs and I'm beginning to mull it over. Are programs like coral, photoshop etc. compatible with Macs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:19 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,723,336 times
All Adobe software, including Photoshop, is fully supported on Mac. Adobe.com: Adobe software and Mac OSX

Quote:
Adobe software and Mac OS X v.10.4 (Tiger)

Adobe software got its start on the Macintosh computer. Today, millions of creative customers around the world rely on Adobe and Apple. Since the introduction of Mac OS X in May 2001, Adobe has delivered more flagship applications on this platform than any other software vendor, satisfying the needs of our creative professional customers.
With the introduction of Mac OS X v.10.4 (Tiger), Apple has brought the Macintosh platform to new levels of ease of use, performance, and reliability. It is a great platform for our latest generation of Macintosh-compatible software.
I do know that the graphic artists in my shop all use Adobe products, albeit on their PCs.

Corel is not supported on Mac OS X. CorelDRAW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, I'm not a Mac users nor am I a graphic artist. You'd be better off checking with someone who is a graphic artist and who uses Macs and ask them about what software they use.

Where are the Mac fanboi's when I need em?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:28 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,577,928 times
[quote=makossa;5394104]

Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I keep hearing that about Macs and I'm beginning to mull it over. Are programs like coral, photoshop etc. compatible with Macs?
Macs are designed to almost specifically do what you want to do.

Coral, no. Photoshop, and Adobe in general, yes (just be sure to buy the Mac version). Also, with Macs you can use most Linux programs like Gimp (a free Photoshop equivalent)

Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 PM

82 posts, read 238,530 times
HP - NO
Compaq - HELL NO
Dell - OK
Gateway -MAYBE
E Machines - HELL NO
Acer…………………..etc. - DO THEY MAKE DESKTOPS ANYMORE?

I will agree with all of those that were posted except the Gateway one. They're on my Hell No list forever. They have NO customer service! Ok maybe the E Machines one needs to be changed to: Not if that is the only computer that is available to be purchased.

And yes, Acer does make desktops. But if you are buying Acer, go with their laptops.

My suggestion is to build your own. That is what I do for a living. I build custom machines for small business, home office and gamers. The process is rather simple as long as you are willing to take your time.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM

620 posts, read 1,884,414 times
[quote=K-Luv;5458200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post

Macs are designed to almost specifically do what you want to do.

Coral, no. Photoshop, and Adobe in general, yes (just be sure to buy the Mac version). Also, with Macs you can use most Linux programs like Gimp (a free Photoshop equivalent)
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but I'll agree with the rest.

I'd recommend the 24" iMac.

http://images.apple.com/imac/specs/images/config_24in20080429.jpg (broken link)

Apple - iMac - Tech Specs (http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/ - broken link)

You'll have an all in one desktop machine. No towers to hide. 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a 1066 MHz frontside bus. Up to 4GB RAM. 64 bit native OS. NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory. Mini-DVI output port with support for DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite video connections via adapter. Support for external display in extended desktop mode. Up to 1 TB internal serial ATA Drive. Built in Firewire 400 and 800 for as many high speed external scratch/backup drives as you care to own. The absolute best software in the industry, starting with the OS, which has Time Machine, an automated hourly backup to external drive system with easy access to retrievals.

Apple - Get a Mac - Why you'll love a Mac

Don't miss the fact that you can still run Vista or XP concurrently with the Mac OS. So you're not really giving up anything by selecting the Mac platform.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,577,928 times
[quote=Bull Winkus;5477533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but I'll agree with the rest.
When Apple ditched the 'PC' market in the early 90's they re-emerged as a 'workhorse' machine for pro-level applications (albeit artistic); namely graphic design, music and non-linear film/video editing (for which Macs were one of the firsts, if not the first). Macs continued on like this until at least 2004; when they officially become 'cool'; which is probably the main, if not only, reason why Apple does not offer an entry level model to any of their product line (the Mac Mini aside, but most hard core Mac fanatics just use those things as their entertainment centers [i.e., to house their movie and music collection] anyways). It was just assumed for over a decade that if you bought a Mac, then you were going to use it for something processor intensive, not just farting around reading emails and browsing the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or