U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 03:32 AM
HDL HDL started this thread
Status: "Have a safe and blessed holiday season :-)" (set 2 days ago)

3,165 posts, read 6,086,356 times

Advertisements

All day TODAY I have been getting an error message that the program is NOT responding while trying to launch my email in MS Office Outlook !! No matter what I do (rebooting, shutting down for hours, closing the error message, etc.) it continues to come UP like a bad POP-UP AD !! I'm ready to throw my computer out the window any second now .

What is the BEST way to figure out what's wrong? My dial-up ISP? Microsoft issue? Virus? Thanks in advance for all your help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,493,942 times
It's not the advice you're looking for, but I strongly recommend switching to another e-mail client if possible. Outlook, while very feature rich, is horrible when it comes to bugginess such as what you're experiencing. Most people don't even use most of the features Outlook supports, and would be served as well or better with another mail client.

If you're really locked into Outlook, you can try these things...

First, make sure that your Office installation is completely up-to-date. Visit http://update.microsoft.com/ and install any Office updates that are available.

Once you've done that, you should run a check on your PST file, which is the data file that Outlook uses. There's likely some problems with the consistency of that file that could easily be causing the problem you're experiencing. To check/repair the data file, follow these steps:
  • Make sure you've exited Outlook completely.
  • Make a backup of your existing data file. It is usually found in C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. You can backup just the files ending in .pst, or to be extra safe, you can back up (make a copy of) the entire directory.
  • Run scanpst.exe. For Office 2007, this program is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12. If you're using another version of Office, you can find this program by using the Search function on your Start menu.
  • In the scanpst program, select the PST file (if you have more than one, run this program on each of them) and click the "Start" button.
Most likely, these things will clear up your problem. I cannot stress enough how much happier you'd likely be if you switched to another email program, though.

Last edited by swagger; 09-28-2008 at 04:22 AM..

Old 09-28-2008, 03:12 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Have you scanned for viruses, spyware, etc? If yes, are the definitions current?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:26 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
Another possibility is that there is a corrupted message on your mail server. If you can log in to the web interface of your mail server, you can find the offending message and delete it there.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM
HDL HDL started this thread
Status: "Have a safe and blessed holiday season :-)" (set 2 days ago)

3,165 posts, read 6,086,356 times
Thumbs up Thank you ALL for your responses so far!

I am trying various things and nothing is working so far. It appears to me to be a problem / glitch with MS Office 2003 . I have contacted them and get 2 FREE helps , so of course I was on the phone this morning 'trying' to understand the person helping me . Needless to say, I couldn't understand him and he would not put someone on that spoke clearer English , so the best I've got right now is to remove Office 2003 and then reinstall it !

So, long story short, I have the original CD to reinstall, BUT my drive for it is on the blink and I don't care to pay to fix it, as I had hoped to get a new computer in the next 6 mths, but not sooner . And if I use the web to download (via dial-up), "Sameer" told me that it can take 2 days to do it !!! Does anyone know what will happen if I use the music CD slot to reload MS Office ???!

Oh yeah, and the error messages that I keep receiving are like POP UP SPAM and lock everything and won't go away easily, and they come up ONLY with ALL of the Office Suite apps , if that helps at all. Some days I have to wonder why I even get out of bed . HELP!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
Scanned for viruses, spyware, etc? Never saw a response... Are your definitions up to date for those programs?

AdAware, AVG, SpyBot, etc.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:30 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,469,830 times
"Oh yeah, and the error messages that I keep receiving are like POP UP SPAM and lock everything and won't go away easily, and they come up ONLY with ALL of the Office Suite apps , if that helps at all. "

That would be malware. Start by finding, downloading, and running the free Spybot Search and Destroy.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
While all of us are giving you good advice, we might be able to do better if we knew exactly what the error message said. First it "comes up like a BAD POP UP AD, after it was "not responding." Then we hear about the "error messages that are like POP UP SPAM." If you'll tell us what it says, we might have a better chance at figuring out what causes it.

BTW, yes, you can use your music CD slot to load Microsoft Office. You can also load it from a copy placed on a USB drive. I often copy it onto the hard disk before installing it.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,299 times
i m having the same problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or