U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
So, can you change a flash drive to NTFS volumes? Or failing that, use more folders?
I don't think so. They always format FAT32. Because of that, they often cause SCANDISK to run if a flash disk is plugged in when the PC starts up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 AM

I have done a "Select All" on a CD full of files and then copied them into a flash drive; all at once. There is definitely something wierd going on here.

Has the flash drive been reformatted?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Update! Since a flash drive is formatted using FAT 32, the number of files is limited to 256 entries per directory. Therefore, you often have to make folders in order to store a large number of files.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:50 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,493,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Update! Since a flash drive is formatted using FAT 32, the number of files is limited to 256 entries per directory. Therefore, you often have to make folders in order to store a large number of files.
256? No... Try 64k.

Quote:
...the FAT32 volume size is capped by the 0xFFFFFFFF maximum sector count, and at 512 bytes per sector, this results in a theoretical maximum FAT32 volume size of 2TB. (While we’re on the topic of FAT32, the maximum size of a single file is 4GB, and the maximum number of files per directory is 65535.) Long before you hit the theoretical maximum volume size, you will reach the practical limits.
Windows Confidential: A Brief and Incomplete History of FAT32

Back to the OP... Sounds like you may have a defective drive, although I wouldn't expect that particular error (but anything can happen, and usually does with Windows). If you're not trying to put an enormous quantity of files on it, there's probably something wrong with the drive itself.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:38 PM

28,622 posts, read 40,604,922 times
I've formatted flash drives to NTFS (yes, it can be done), but it wasn't good. Back to FAT32 and will stay there.

We've not heard back from the OP...

Old 09-30-2008, 06:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,230,196 times
Ancient history... But when we started using Iomega 100mb Bernoulli disks at work for data acquisition during research tests, we ran into the 256 file limit puzzle. We were using 486's and DOS because we needed to collect data in real time. Windows time shifted operations. We didn't know what was happening at first, the D/A program would just crash. Finally figured out that the OS would not permit more than 256 files in a volume's root directory. Simply added a sub directory to the Bernoulli disk for data, and unlimited data files could be added until the disk was full.

I'm sure this is not the OP's flash drive program, but it was an interesting situation

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM

I don't mind being corrected when I goof. I think most smaller flash drives (say 1 GB or smaller) are formatted with FAT, not FAT32, and the file count limit is on the root directory, not other folders. These are not issues that generally require much attention. There are some flash drive formatting programs out there that are supposed to add stability as well as options such as NTFS and bootability. I haven't had experience with those.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:53 PM

Well, if the OP is dumping all the files in the root, then...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:53 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,756,563 times
Well this thread couldn't have been more timely. We bought 2 flash drives to contain backup files for Quickbooks files. Have had no problem backing up using the QB backup facility until about 4 days ago when hubby upgraded to v 2008. Intuit tech support actually asked him to reformat the flash drive to FAT32, which leads me to assume that the flash drive came as NTFS originally? What would make it originally able to backup files from an NTFS drive and then suddenly require at FAT32 format? Additionally, he was told that flash drives have a tendency to fragment more often than say an external hard drive and suggest we run defrag occasionally to remove the bad sectors. Is this right?

Old 10-03-2008, 02:58 PM

bibit612,

Plug in the flash drive, open My Computer or Explorer, find the drive icon and right click. Click properties. The general tab will list the file system type.

Anything and everything I get from Intuit tech support is taken with a grain or ten of salt. They are some of the worst in the industry.

Formatting? If you are changing the version of QB to 2008 I would recommend it simply because they have changed some of the file formats - didn't he (hubby) have to go through a conversion during the upgrade? It never hurts to start fresh.

As for defrag, you can ask the program to analyze the disk first. Run it every so often and ask it to analyze. If there is not enough fragmentation to warrant running the program it will tell you.

These flash drives are stored off site right? Right? {Tap, tap, tap... well?}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers