Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 05:42 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times

Advertisements

I have subscribed McAfee Security Center Suite running on my pc, for about three years now, without problems. It installs updates automatically. Yesterday something new appeared, McAfee Site Advisor Toolbar in my IE7. I have a P4 running WinXP, ver 2002, SP3 (with auto updates also).

I can't absolutely pinpoint it but it seems that at the same time, I have a problem with IE. Used to be when one moused over a underlined link, the address of the link appeared in the "status bar" at the bottom of the screen. Gave one some idea of whether you wanted to click on that link. Now the status bar is blank when mousing over a link. If you right click on the link, then the address appears in the status bar.

I don't like this, and the McAfee toolbar adds an unwanted layer to the IE header. Have to close the MA toolbar upon each start up. I note that when right clicking on it to close it, it asks if you want to upgrade to the "plus" version. NO I don't like the un plus version. Checking on "add/remove programs," this pesky program does not appear in the list.

Has anyone heard anything about this? I'm wondering if it is causing the disappeared addresses from the status bar. Sometimes things like this happen. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
McCrappy is worse than any virus. Get rid of it before it completely hoses your computer.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:18 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
quiet walker -- by chance did you just upgrade to IE7? I installed a couple of Windows updates recently, and one of them was for IE7 -- innocently I said "sure" when it asked if I wanted to do so. Big mistake. Thank goodness for time travel with System Restore and I could go back to IE6. Some of the things you described in your OP were the peskies I encountered with my IE upgrade.

I also agree with EscapeCalifornia -- in my book, McAfee and Norton are running neck-n-neck for dead last in the virus scan program world. Both have caused numerous issues in their obsessive missions to 'protect' me from nasties. I use AVG and have had no problems whatsoever - I've have no infections and, best of all, I've been in control of it rather than the other way around.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Some call 'em bugs; some call 'em undocumented features. I don't use this product, but if I'm not mistaken in what I read, recent updates have made the toolbar an integrated part of the Security Center. If you want the Security Center, you have to take the toolbar with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers