U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,091,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Ive had my computer for years and its time for a new one.
I have heard some bad things about Dell related to upgrading,etc
I use a computer for basic stuff and a little gaming.
I was an technician for the gov't, and the primary computers utilized were DELL notebooks and desktops. I believe the gov't went with DELL due to coming in on lowest bid, but also these systems will take a lickin'....but must also say that for my personal system, I went with an upgraded Toshiba, with all the bells and whistles. Have had it over a year now and not a single problem on this system, has built in modem, 17 inch screen, dual processors and 260-HD, 2GB RAM..... Good luck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post
Some Dell's don't like memory upgrades, and all their cases seem to be proprietary mounting (Meaning you need to get a Dell mobo if yours dies.)

Other than that, like mentioned above, no better PC for the money than a Dell
Which Dell's don't like memory upgrades?

Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 AM

34 posts, read 115,912 times
My first computer was a Compaq, and it was a POS. The tower was about the size of a VCR and was not upgrabeable whatsoever. For it's time period, there was no USB and the computer had no PCI or ISA slots so it was impossible to upgrade. Note: Not all compaq's are like this.

I kept that computer for 11 months then got a Dell. I kept that Dell for 3+ years just upgrading it little by little. Example, I upgraded video card so I could player newer games, I upgraded RAM, I added a CD burner, added a TV card, etc. It was by far the best computer I ever owned. I gave it to my Aunt and she kept it for 6+ years until it started acting a little unstable and by then I figured it was time to trash it. From them on, I always built my computers up until about 6 months ago. I got another Dell as I just didn't want to deal with building a computer anymore after doing it for nearly 10 years.

Dell is great, you won't regret it. Just do your research on your model. The only thing I didn't like about my model was it cannot run Windows XP (no drivers for a lot of the hardware) which is one reason I wish I didn't get it as I am stuck with Vista. Don't get me wrong, I like Vista but it's just too bloated and buggy for my liking.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,837,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexbaud View Post
My first computer was a Compaq, and it was a POS. The tower was about the size of a VCR and was not upgrabeable whatsoever. For it's time period, there was no USB and the computer had no PCI or ISA slots so it was impossible to upgrade. Note: Not all compaq's are like this.

I kept that computer for 11 months then got a Dell. I kept that Dell for 3+ years just upgrading it little by little. Example, I upgraded video card so I could player newer games, I upgraded RAM, I added a CD burner, added a TV card, etc. It was by far the best computer I ever owned. I gave it to my Aunt and she kept it for 6+ years until it started acting a little unstable and by then I figured it was time to trash it. From them on, I always built my computers up until about 6 months ago. I got another Dell as I just didn't want to deal with building a computer anymore after doing it for nearly 10 years.

Dell is great, you won't regret it. Just do your research on your model. The only thing I didn't like about my model was it cannot run Windows XP (no drivers for a lot of the hardware) which is one reason I wish I didn't get it as I am stuck with Vista. Don't get me wrong, I like Vista but it's just too bloated and buggy for my liking.
I think you should of built another computer as then you would've been able to run Windows XP.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,128,285 times
I had a Compaq once and i wasnt a fan they built everything so you..
Couldnt take stuff out or upgrade at all!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,355,827 times
ive bught 4 dells and been happy with all of them. my most recent came with vista and was having some trouble, but ever since i put xp on it it has been great

Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM

197 posts, read 740,411 times
I don't think you can go wrong with a Dell, or a Gateway or HP. I use a Dell at work and my experience is that their chat technical support is very efficient, but that may be because we have gold level support. I have an HP at home, no issues whatsoever. I have a Gateway desktop from 1999 that is still running with Windows 98.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,449,284 times
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Dell (two lemons including one that caught fire). For PCs, I like Thinkpads/Lenovos. But given the current state of the Windows operating system, I am seriously considering getting a Mac.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I've had nothing but bad experiences with Dell (two lemons including one that caught fire). For PCs, I like Thinkpads/Lenovos. But given the current state of the Windows operating system, I am seriously considering getting a Mac.
Your experience has surely been different from mine. I've been using Dell computers (more of them than I can count) for over 15 years and have always had good experiences.

On the other hand, ThinkPads come with a great deal of preinstalled software that I consider useless and are much more difficult if you want to install Windows on a blank hard disk and then download only those drivers you need to get it running. Dell drivers are much easier to find online. Current Lenovo ThinkCentre computers are experiencing a greater than average failure rate on motherboards. I've got to change another one today.

Again, this is just my experience. My employer stopped buying Dell computers almost 3 years ago and started buying Lenovp. Personally, I'm really sorry they did that.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM

3,627 posts, read 12,995,967 times
I think Dell USED to be great but we have had 2 Dells in the past few years [us and my father] that really have not been what we expected. I would not pay for the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers