U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,721,559 times

Advertisements

I have a laptop dell with xp it is a 2002, and still works great, but runs somewhat slowly. I now
have the dell inspiron 1720 with vista. When I first bought it I had a few problems. Dell suport
was really great, I even got a call asking how the computer was doing. That day there was a
blue screen error, and Dell told me I would be sent a new computer. They also were great with
problems with my 2002 computer when it was new. They are trying harder with the tech support.
they also sent out a tech b4 I was sent a new computer. I kept getting adapter messages, and a blue
screen error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 PM

3,031 posts, read 8,115,986 times
I do warranty repair on Dells and HPs. All I'll say is that I don't own a Dell OR an HP.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:22 PM

436 posts, read 780,783 times
Dells are good just pray you never need their customer service.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
I have had very good luck with a number of Dells. My Dell server has been running 24/7/365 for about 5.5 years now, without a burp. Next time I'm looking for a new system there is a very high probability it will be another Dell.

I used to build all my own systems till I realized I could buy Dell's for less than I could assemble my own custom build.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,641,709 times
I bought two of these:

Dell Refurb specs

2nd machine was $10 more, as it has a 19/1 card reader.
Dell emailed me a coupon for 15% off with free shipping. Total for 2 machines, with sales tax was about $1515.

We formatted the hard drive and loaded Windows 7 RC on both. So I can upgrade for free to W7 Home, or use one of the W7 Pro upgrades I got from New Egg for $99.

If I had built my own, I may have had a better case and a better power supply, but I don't know that I could have had a whole lot better value. Certainly would have not had the same convenience.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
Anytime you make an online purchase such as a computer, before you click submit open another browser window and Google "_________ coupon code" be it Dell or Tiger Direct, etc. Last laptop I ordered through Dell I found a code that took yet an additional 10% off the total price.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 AM

13,325 posts, read 20,374,795 times
I've owned the following Dell computers:

Inspiron 8200 (probably my favorite, but now it's old.)
Inspiron e1705
Inspiron e1405 /640M
Inspiron 910 / Mini 9 (this computer I'm using now)
Inspiron 530

Every last one of them has been very good. I've also owned HP, eMachines, Sager,Tandy, and Packard Bell in the past. Dell has been the best of them. Thinking of custom building a PC tough, or at least getting one built for my business. Was going to get another Dell, but I can't get an acceptable price for what I want.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,641,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I've owned the following Dell computers:

Inspiron 8200 (probably my favorite, but now it's old.)
Inspiron e1705
Inspiron e1405 /640M
Inspiron 910 / Mini 9 (this computer I'm using now)
Inspiron 530

Every last one of them has been very good. I've also owned HP, eMachines, Sager,Tandy, and Packard Bell in the past. Dell has been the best of them. Thinking of custom building a PC tough, or at least getting one built for my business. Was going to get another Dell, but I can't get an acceptable price for what I want.
Everybody should build at least one.
But, it's like building houses...
After you build one, you will want to build another better one.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM

2,172 posts, read 6,942,393 times
I was determined to build my last "workhorse" computer myself (as opposed to the refurbs and old laptops around) but after spending weeks just researching the pieces, decided not to risk it.
I bought the components from mwave.com and then had them assemble them. Which they will do for another $80. They did an excellent job and their component prices are good. They'll do as little or as much as you want, from installing any flavor operating system you buy and other software, or just put the motherboard/CPU together.
There may be other companies that offer a similar service. I can only recommend mwave. I was thrilled with the job they did on it. Plugged it in, started it up, was ready to go. No junk of any kind whatsever to remove.
They sent the manuals and CDs for the Motherboard and chipset and all the components plus any cables and such that came with them.
For me, it was a good compromise. I got the components I wanted without the hassle of doing the build myself. A friend of mine who builds high-end computers had recommend mwave to me. He uses them to do barebones builds for some clients.
I like the idea of having a good case that I can get a lot of stuff in and not having anything proprietary to the computer maker. Everything is upgradeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers