U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:29 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,224,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
it can be an xp vs vista, 64bit for vista is supported more
People complain about Vista and driver support but XP 64 has worse support than even Vista does. Its still for the most part a niche OS while Vista 64 has gone mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:59 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,307,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Vista32 and XP32 will see the exact same amount of RAM. As will Vista64 and XP64. So XP vs. Vista is a non-issue. Its 32 bit vs. 64 bit. A 32 bit OS has 4GB worth of address space but won't be able to address 4GB of RAM because it needs space to communicate with hardware in the system. For example, if you have 4GB of RAM and a 512MB video card, that 512 gets taken off the top and now the most Windows could ever get access to is 3.5GB. I run Vista32 with a 256MB video card and can address about 3.3GB of the 4GB installed. If you're going to move to a 64 bit Windows, I'd go with Vista64 because XP64 was seriously lacking in the hardware and software compatibility department. Vista64 is better supported. I also would go with more than 4GB of RAM if you're going to go 64 bit.
This is the best description of the issue. Dealing with the 4GB limit is not one that can be easily solved by debating the merits of XP or Vista. XP seems to perform well in 32 bit with many hardware drivers and few application snags. If 64 bit is needed, Vista may be a better choice.. My guess is that Windows 7 in 64 bits will become common.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 AM

12,717 posts, read 18,844,205 times
Having over 2 GB of RAM is almost useless for XP unless you do alot of mutlitasking on heavy applications. Otherwise I can't even see why anyone would feel the need to upgrade to 4 gigs for XP - waste of money with no benefit.

500m is plenty for most, 1 gig if you are a gamer or run video applications, 2 gigs is you do alot of multitasking. Over 2, and with XP I have to assume you have an older computer, than the bottleneck to PC performance will be your CPU in any event, not RAM.

Now, for Vista, that is totally different.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-20-2009 at 11:03 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,899 times
You can try the /3GB switch for Windows boot up. This is commonly used for people with RAM intensive software and seems to help allow more RAM to be used for the system. This is what I'm using with 4GB on 32bit XP.

Available switch options for the Windows XP and the Windows Server 2003 Boot.ini files

Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 PM

215 posts, read 538,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post
This is correct.

Only problem with running 64 bit is some software won't work on it. I have a total of 8gig in one of my machines, but all the rest run with 4gigs as they only have 32bit OS.
Not true. I hate when people say that. 64 bit systems are picking up and there's hardly any compatibility issues with them now. I use the computer 30+ hours a day and use a LOT (~100+ different) kinds of software and have noticed no issues with using a 64 bit system.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,265,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Not true. I hate when people say that. 64 bit systems are picking up and there's hardly any compatibility issues with them now. I use the computer 30+ hours a day and use a LOT (~100+ different) kinds of software and have noticed no issues with using a 64 bit system.
If you have the very limited hardware that has drivers for 64-bit. No backward compatibility with 32 bit drivers, they simply cannot be installed if they are not signed for 64 bit.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,339,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If you have the very limited hardware that has drivers for 64-bit. No backward compatibility with 32 bit drivers, they simply cannot be installed if they are not signed for 64 bit.
You can't call Vista64's hardware compatibility "very limited" unless all of your peripherals are from 1997. There's more drivers for Vista64 than there are for XP64 and pretty much anything you buy today will have Vista64 drivers in the box.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,265,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You can't call Vista64's hardware compatibility "very limited" unless all of your peripherals are from 1997. There's more drivers for Vista64 than there are for XP64 and pretty much anything you buy today will have Vista64 drivers in the box.
Why are the vista supporters so hung up on the 1990's, accusing anyone not singing vista praises as users of 90's era applications and peripherals. Why do I want to go out and spend $250 - 300+ on a high end scanner (high resolution and negative capable) when I have one that works just fine, and is less than 2 years old?

I'll probably replace it when USB 3.0 becomes a cost effective reality, but certainly not just for an OS. After all I only use an OS to launch programs, and manage the file system on my computer.

But I will confess, my HP 1100 laser printer goes back that far, works just fine, trouble free, and there isn't a damn thing that a new laser printer can do that this one doesn't.

Oh, and my truck is a 97, runs fine, very reliable, and it's paid for, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about the fact my truck is 12 years old.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,524,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Why are the vista supporters so hung up on the 1990's, accusing anyone not singing vista praises as users of 90's era applications and peripherals. Why do I want to go out and spend $250 - 300+ on a high end scanner (high resolution and negative capable) when I have one that works just fine, and is less than 2 years old?

I'll probably replace it when USB 3.0 becomes a cost effective reality, but certainly not just for an OS. After all I only use an OS to launch programs, and manage the file system on my computer.

But I will confess, my HP 1100 laser printer goes back that far, works just fine, trouble free, and there isn't a damn thing that a new laser printer can do that this one doesn't.

Oh, and my truck is a 97, runs fine, very reliable, and it's paid for, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about the fact my truck is 12 years old.
comparing cars to computers is well, like comparing apples to oranges. The computer industry does not stop for those using old tech. It moves faster than any other industry in development. In order to take use of newer programs, you must use newer hardware and vise versa. No one is telling you, you must move into the newer stuffs, but for those of us that do, and need to (that work in industries that need to follow tech.) we will. No tech. company will stay in one place for the people that want to move at a snails pace, it is bad for business.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM

526 posts, read 942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
where do u live that u have over 30 hours in a day? clearly i want that world too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers