U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,524,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh please tell me what the newer, and resource hog vista can do for me that XP can't, except nag me, but that is not a benefit.

Oh please tell me what I can haul in a 2009 pickup that I can't haul in my 97 pickup. (except a payment book good for 5 - 7 years)

Oh please tell me what I can print on a new b/w laser that I can't print on my 90 something era HP laserjet.

It is a perfectly good analogy for those that are looking for function and not glitz or to impress the neighbors. But if your life revolves around impressing the neighbors, well........ knock yourself out. I'll spend my money for some good locally brewed ale's.

And who is to say that Vista is an advancement? SATA II drives are an advancement over PATA, and someday solid state drives will become a reality, USB 3.0 is coming, those are advancements. Vista is 'pretty' bloatware, but it is not advancement, save for the bottom line of M$.
you do not have to be smug with me, kindness will land you in a much better position than being an A$%

Vista can handle much more intensive graphics, Vista offers arguably stronger security for the home user. Rather than running as an administrator under normal conditions, most user tasks are run under a limited account. When a task is undertaken that requires higher privileges, the user is prompted to verify that they do, in fact, want to perform this action. They also need to enter an administrative password. On the positive side, it keeps users from performing tasks mindlessly, without considering the repercussions. Unfortunately, the number of tasks that prompt the verification is overwhelming. There is a significant risk that users will either disable the administrative protections, or grow accustomed to always typing the password in, without giving due consideration. You know your own habits best.

Vista is a complete redesign compare to XP. Vista can manage the task and CPU usage based on disk input and output priority. This suppose to save the background applications from slowing down the system.

Vista also come with many diagnostic and reporting tools. It can test the hardware and software and basically tells you how "reliable" is your computer from time to time.

The farther we move away from XP, the more the differences will be. Windows 7 will build upon the benefits Vista has and beyond.

Windows 3.1 did everything you listed as what you do, why are you not still using windows 3.1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 AM

526 posts, read 942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
you do not have to be smug with me, kindness will land you in a much better position than being an A$%

Vista can handle much more intensive graphics, Vista offers arguably stronger security for the home user. Rather than running as an administrator under normal conditions, most user tasks are run under a limited account. When a task is undertaken that requires higher privileges, the user is prompted to verify that they do, in fact, want to perform this action. They also need to enter an administrative password. On the positive side, it keeps users from performing tasks mindlessly, without considering the repercussions. Unfortunately, the number of tasks that prompt the verification is overwhelming. There is a significant risk that users will either disable the administrative protections, or grow accustomed to always typing the password in, without giving due consideration. You know your own habits best.

Vista is a complete redesign compare to XP. Vista can manage the task and CPU usage based on disk input and output priority. This suppose to save the background applications from slowing down the system.

Vista also come with many diagnostic and reporting tools. It can test the hardware and software and basically tells you how "reliable" is your computer from time to time.

The farther we move away from XP, the more the differences will be. Windows 7 will build upon the benefits Vista has and beyond.

Windows 3.1 did everything you listed as what you do, why are you not still using windows 3.1?
OH SNAP!
couldnt have said it better myself
kudos rep point for you!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM

11,723 posts, read 11,307,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
..... Vista can handle much more intensive graphics, Vista offers arguably stronger security for the home user. Rather than running as an administrator under normal conditions, most user tasks are run under a limited account. When a task is undertaken that requires higher privileges, the user is prompted to verify that they do, in fact, want to perform this action. They also need to enter an administrative password. On the positive side, it keeps users from performing tasks mindlessly, without considering the repercussions. Unfortunately, the number of tasks that prompt the verification is overwhelming. There is a significant risk that users will either disable the administrative protections, or grow accustomed to always typing the password in, without giving due consideration. You know your own habits best.

..... Vista also come with many diagnostic and reporting tools. It can test the hardware and software and basically tells you how "reliable" is your computer from time to time.

..... Windows 3.1 did everything you listed as what you do, why are you not still using windows 3.1?
Thank you for saving me so much typing. You have described precisely why I prefer to run XP on my own computers. I don't need stronger security. I prefer to run my computers with Administrator accounts. I'm not going to screw them up and it saves me a lot of time and frustration when I have changes to make. I don't perform tasks mindlessly.

I'm not yet convinced that I want my computers reporting on anything. I haven't yet seen any advantage to me in doing that.

There are many good reasons to no longer use Windows 3.1. Hardware drivers are probably not available for many devices. The printing process does not function nearly as well as later versions. The biggest reason is that I have found no free virus protection available for it.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM

watch out for ashville native, he seems to have a negative for vista on any forum.
i hope his copy of xp self implodes

Old 05-04-2009, 02:13 PM

11,723 posts, read 11,307,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
watch out for ashville native, he seems to have a negative for vista on any forum.
i hope his copy of xp self implodes
If you would quit treating Vista like it was some kind of religious experience, it would probably enable you to see other valid points of view. It might also help avoid sanctions for negative or personal attacks, which I'm guessing are close right now.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you would quit treating Vista like it was some kind of religious experience, it would probably enable you to see other valid points of view. It might also help avoid sanctions for negative or personal attacks, which I'm guessing are close right now.
who said it was a religious experience?
i dont have the disk nailed to a cross and bow down to it...
YOU FOUND MY SECRET OUT!
how did you know i chant this every night:
ALL HAIL WINDOWS VISTA SP1 (10X)
until my body shakes and destroys any other OS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers