U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,538 times

Advertisements

My tutor recently did a PhD in Computer forensics, and he studied the effectiveness of antivirus programs to see how they rated. These are his findings for the four that he tested:

Norton(corporate edition)(commercial) found false positives (seeing a virus that isn't there) 0.2% of the time. It had positive negatives (not seeing viruses that are there) 4% of the time, and it took on average one day for Norton to issue an update.

Kapernsky (Sp?)(freeware) found false positives 8% of the time, it had positive negatives 6% of the time, and it took 3 days to have updates issued. However, this product came out worst in terms of usability and support so is NOT RECOMMENDED.

These are the two to watch:

AVG (freeware) found false positives 72% of the time, and positive negatives 78% of the time, and it took 1 day for updates to be issued. Also, AVG uses the largest amount of computer resources out of the four. Therefore, I recommend you change AVG for another antivirus program.

The best performer in the freeware category was Avira. It found false positives 4% of the time, and positive negatives 6% of the time, ranking it very close to Norton. It is also very resource light, meaning it will impact less on your computer than all the others compared (other than Norton).

Therefore, my recommendation to you is to get Avira, as none of the other freeware antivirus products compared will do their jobs as well as Avira, especially not AVG.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants a DVD of malware, then PM me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,480,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Rubies77, the general rule-of-thumb is to never have more than one version/brand of any kind of security software running on your computer at one time. So if you have a version of anti-spyware that is about to expire, just go ahead and uninstall it. Then do a clean install of the new anti-spyware/antivirus program.
Aquila, I bought my computer at Best Buys in NY and the Geek suggested that I use two different ones. I did uninstalled one, and kept the other one for both security issues. I thank you. My thanks also, to all those wonderful people who put up with my lack of computer knowledge. Reps to you all..............

Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
My tutor recently did a PhD in Computer forensics, and he studied the effectiveness of antivirus programs to see how they rated. These are his findings for the four that he tested:

Norton(corporate edition)(commercial) found false positives (seeing a virus that isn't there) 0.2% of the time. It had positive negatives (not seeing viruses that are there) 4% of the time, and it took on average one day for Norton to issue an update.

Kapernsky (Sp?)(freeware) found false positives 8% of the time, it had positive negatives 6% of the time, and it took 3 days to have updates issued. However, this product came out worst in terms of usability and support so is NOT RECOMMENDED.

These are the two to watch:

AVG (freeware) found false positives 72% of the time, and positive negatives 78% of the time, and it took 1 day for updates to be issued. Also, AVG uses the largest amount of computer resources out of the four. Therefore, I recommend you change AVG for another antivirus program.

The best performer in the freeware category was Avira. It found false positives 4% of the time, and positive negatives 6% of the time, ranking it very close to Norton. It is also very resource light, meaning it will impact less on your computer than all the others compared (other than Norton).

Therefore, my recommendation to you is to get Avira, as none of the other freeware antivirus products compared will do their jobs as well as Avira, especially not AVG.

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants a DVD of malware, then PM me
Yeah, I've read about Avira and how it stacks up against some of the other AVs. For some reason I don't see it mentioned very often.

What firewall do you like?

Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 AM

625 posts, read 1,645,362 times
A company called eEye makes a great all in one scanner that finds things that most others wont

Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 AM

625 posts, read 1,645,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Aquila, I bought my computer at Best Buys in NY and the Geek suggested that I use two different ones. I did uninstalled one, and kept the other one for both security issues. I thank you. My thanks also, to all those wonderful people who put up with my lack of computer knowledge. Reps to you all..............

Dont trust anything a member of the geek squad tells you--most of them are fresh out of high school or tech school, have very limited real world experience, and offer the same solutions to most problems--format and re-install.

I had a customer call me after buying a pc from Best Buy and the geeks(who did the home install) suggested that he install Webroot and Norton on it--they installed it (never rebooted) and left, the next day he went to turn it on and it kept rebooting just prior to the logon screen, best buy said it wasnt covered (because it happened after the "tech" left and it must be something he did to it) so I went over, booted in safe mode and uninstalled Webroot--voila it booted normally. The Norton and Webroot were conflicting and it was a well known problem at the time--some experts Geek Squad are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or