U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
 
2 posts, read 5,979 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello, I am new here today. I am having trouble with wav email notifiers. I download them and save and they end up in my documents folder instead of my Windows media file. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be most appreciated. Thank uoi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,689,927 times
Reputation: 487
When you download them, are you manually instructing the download manager where to drop them? It's possible you need to reset the default download location. Or else just manually drag and drop them to the appropriate folder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 AM
 
2 posts, read 5,979 times
Reputation: 10
Default wav email notifications

Thank you for your reply. However, I am a novice as far as the pc is concerned. Could you please tell me how to do this - baby steps please. Thank you. By the by could you please tell me/show me how I check for email notifications for this thread. Thanks again

Last edited by coachesmummy; 10-08-2008 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,689,927 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachesmummy View Post
Thank you for your reply. However, I am a novice as far as the pc is concerned. Could you please tell me how to do this - baby steps please. Thank you. By the by could you please tell me/show me how I check for email notifications for this thread. Thanks again
Hey, no problem. And don't worry about being a novice. We all were at one time. My dad still doesn't know anything [much] about computers, and is thinking about getting a laptop at the beginning of the year. So I'll have to show him how to do everything....including all the terminology and how to navigate, etc.

Anyway, baby steps it is:

First things first, let's get the easy part out of the way...email notifications for this thread.

1.) You have to be subscribed to a thread before you can receive email notifications, so go to the blue bar that runs directly above your first post. You'll see something called "Thread Tools". Click that open and then click on "Subscribe to this thread".

2.) On the page that pops up, you'll see a scroll menu that says "Notification Type". Click somewhere in the text field and select an option.

3.) Click on the button that says "Add subscription".

You'll be taken back to this page.

From there, go up to the blue bar at the very top of the page, and click on where it says "My Settings".

1.) On the left side of the page, you'll see a section titled "Settings and Options".

2.) Click on the link that says "Edit Options".

3.) Scroll down to the "Messaging and Notification" section.

4.) You'll see a subsection called "Default Thread Subscription Mode". In that section, click in the text field and select an option.

5.) Go down to the very very bottom of the page and click the button that says "Save Changes".

Now, you should start receiving emails to let you know when you've received new responses in the threads you're subscribed to. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. If it doesn't, you may need to check with a moderator or admin.

Next, I'll do a separate post to explain how to change your default download folder.

Last edited by aquila; 10-08-2008 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,243 posts, read 12,767,359 times
Reputation: 3796
Thanks Aquila for posting ... you beat me to it!

And reiterating - yes indeed we were all newbies once (and I'm still workin' at getting more computer savvy ... thanks to all of you, I'm getting there faster than I thought I could!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,689,927 times
Reputation: 487
As for changing the default download folder in your browser, it basically depends on which browser you are using.

For Firefox:

1.) At the top of the browser, click on the Tools menu.

2.) Click on "Options..."

3.) In the window that pops up, click on the icon that says "Main".

4.) You'll see a section called "Downloads".

5.) Place a mark in the little circle that says "Save files to..."

6.) Click on the browse button and navigate to the folder where you want to save your downloads. Click on the folder and then click OK.

That's how you save your default download folder in Firefox.

For Internet Explorer, I don't think there is a default download folder. It simply places your downloads in the last folder you used. But normally when you download something using IE, a window pops up asking if you want to run a program automatically, or if you want to save the file first. Generally you should click on the button that says "Save" and it will allow you to choose which folder you want to save the download in. Simply navigate to the folder you want to use, and then click the "Save" button.

As for how to set up the .wav file to play automatically when you get a new email, I'd have to know which email system you are using. If you have AOL or gmail, I won't be able to help you because I don't use either one of those. But usually there is a folder on your computer where .wav files are stored. Try the following navigation string:

If you know how to get to your "My Computer" folder, open it and click on the drive for your hard disk. Then click open your Windows folder. Find the Media folder and click it open. That's where your main .wav files are stored for the various system sounds on your computer. Drag and drop the new .wav file you downloaded into that folder.

From there, I'd have to know what email system you use before I could help you any further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 02:13 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,689,927 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Thanks Aquila for posting ... you beat me to it!

And reiterating - yes indeed we were all newbies once (and I'm still workin' at getting more computer savvy ... thanks to all of you, I'm getting there faster than I thought I could!)
COOL! I think a lot of people, my dad included, are scared of how "overwhelming" it can be to learn how to do stuff with a computer, and especially the internet. He's contemplated getting a computer before, but when I start trying to tell him how to do something, he seems to get a bit flustered. (I'm not sure I was cut out to be a teacher. ) For someone who has never used a computer before, I sometimes forget that you have to go all the way back to "Computing 101" and explain to them what a mouse is, and what the "Start" button does.....even how to click open a folder, etc. So I think when he gets his laptop, I'll have a daunting task. But I know once he gets going, he'll enjoy it. What I've found is that it's like everything else in life....once you learn and keep practicing, it becomes second nature. In fact, it wasn't that long ago that I taught myself HTML. After learning, it's not hard at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 02:27 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,689,927 times
Reputation: 487
Apparently the email notifications aren't working properly, because I'm subscribed to this thread, and I just checked my email but did not receive a notification that mawipafl left a response in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,243 posts, read 12,767,359 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Apparently the email notifications aren't working properly, because I'm subscribed to this thread, and I just checked my email but did not receive a notification that mawipafl left a response in this thread.
Sometimes you'll only get one email notification until you revisit the thread, so posts to the thread can happen and you won't get the email notification because you already got one after your last visit. (Hope that makes sense.)

Quote:
COOL! I think a lot of people, my dad included, are scared of how "overwhelming" it can be to learn how to do stuff with a computer, and especially the internet. He's contemplated getting a computer before, but when I start trying to tell him how to do something, he seems to get a bit flustered. (I'm not sure I was cut out to be a teacher. ) For someone who has never used a computer before, I sometimes forget that you have to go all the way back to "Computing 101" and explain to them what a mouse is, and what the "Start" button does.....even how to click open a folder, etc. So I think when he gets his laptop, I'll have a daunting task. But I know once he gets going, he'll enjoy it. What I've found is that it's like everything else in life....once you learn and keep practicing, it becomes second nature. In fact, it wasn't that long ago that I taught myself HTML. After learning, it's not hard at all.
Don't worry! You'll be a good teacher because you can speak English with very little Computerese mixed in :-) The most difficult part is the beginning during which you have to teach the newbie that a computer is nothing more than a file cabinet operated by a robot to which one gives the commands to do a task. I just tell my "students" to envision themselves standing in front of a typical file cabinet and that there's a neato robotic 'servant' standing there, too. And I ask my students "what would you tell the robot to do?" They'd respond with "open the drawer", and I'd show them on a keyboard how to give that command through their fingers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,689,927 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Sometimes you'll only get one email notification until you revisit the thread, so posts to the thread can happen and you won't get the email notification because you already got one after your last visit. (Hope that makes sense.)
Well, some sort of magic worked overnight because sure enough there were a bunch of notices in my email today! Of course they were in my spam box, so I had to designate them as NOT spam. But I guess it does work. Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Don't worry! You'll be a good teacher because you can speak English with very little Computerese mixed in :-)
Cute word...I'll have to remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
The most difficult part is the beginning during which you have to teach the newbie that a computer is nothing more than a file cabinet operated by a robot to which one gives the commands to do a task. I just tell my "students" to envision themselves standing in front of a typical file cabinet and that there's a neato robotic 'servant' standing there, too. And I ask my students "what would you tell the robot to do?" They'd respond with "open the drawer", and I'd show them on a keyboard how to give that command through their fingers.
Interesting teaching method. Yeah, I pretty much just say things like "see this little bar with the pointy things at the top and bottom? Click here and move the mouse to make the box go down" when I'm really referring to the scroll bar. But call it a scroll bar? Uh uh.....he'll be lost. LOL! (I guess I'll have to explain what "LOL" means, too! He's my dad. He's old....er than me, so what can I say. I'll learn him how to talk gooder English one of these days. HA!)

See, the thing with my dad is that he always wants answers I can't give him, or else I have to go back all the way to the very start to explain the basics. It's not just how to drive a car......it's how you get into the car, and WHY you have to use a key to turn the ignition, etc. Same thing with a computer. He'll say things like "well, why do they call it a desktop when it looks more like a bunch of little symbols in a frame? Why not just call it the main access frame?"....or... "Why have the number keys across the top of the keyboard when you already have the numbers over here on the side (referring to the 10-key pad)?" And I'd reply "I don't know, Dad. That's just the way it is."

If I asked him what he'd like the robot to do, this is how the conversation would go:

Him: "Show me one of those neat aerial maps that show my house"...or..."how do I look at some pictures?"

Me: "Okay....here's how you tell the computer to do that for you"....and upon explaining that he needs to open a file cabinet (folder) to view the individual pictures, he'd probably say something like...

Him: "Why doesn't the folder open up like a regular folder?"

Me: "Because this icon just represents the folder where the pictures are.

Him: "Well, why doesn't it just look like a photo album?"

Me: "Because it's not actually a photo album. It's a FOLDER that contains the pictures....kinda like a file cabinet."

Him: "Why doesn't it look like a file cabinet?

Me: "Because the file cabinet symbol is used for something different".

Him: "Why keep the damned photos in a folder in a file cabinet"....

Me: "It's not really a file cabinet, Dad.....it's just what they CALL it."

Him: "Why don't they just call it a photo album?"....and I'd have to explain that the same folder icon is used for different types of folders.

Him (continuing): "Well, that doesn't make any sense."

Me: "Yes, I agree....but that's just the way it is. Now, if you want to see the pictures, you have to open the folder to access the picture files. In order to do that, you have to click on it here to make a different window open up."

Him: "Well, if it's a file cabinet, why don't you just click on the handle and pull the mouse to open the drawer? Why does it open a new window?"

Me: "DAD! - I...DON'T...KNOW!!! That's just the way it is!"


LOL!

Hoo, boy.....I'm really not ragging on him. I'm sure it won't be that hard to teach him. He's actually pretty good at doing something if I write down step-by-step instructions. (No offense to you, coachesmummy. ) I just know that when it comes time to show him how to use the computer, it's going to be an ongoing thing where I have to show him something several times before it locks into his memory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top