U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times

Advertisements

As some of you know: my Mac Mini died a couple of months back (hard drive died) and I replaced it with an H-P Pavilions machine running Vista 64bit.

It came with Nortons preinstalled; ran that antiviral software till it expired then pitched it for Avast, the 'free' home edition that I downloaded.

Any thoughts on whether it was a good move or not? Several computer Geeks whom I know recommended Avast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,077,804 times
I like Avast, since it also has a firewall and VRDB (right click the icon and click VRDB for more information.)

Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 PM

82 posts, read 238,489 times
Norton is horrid. I would rather run no AV than run with it.

Avast is fine. Will do the job, but I would pick up a few other mal/spyware programs.

One of my personal favorites is:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 PM

I run CCleaner (good one), a-squared, and for a bit more insurance, keyscrambler, in case a keylogger ever gets by.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 PM

82 posts, read 238,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I run CCleaner (good one), a-squared, and for a bit more insurance, keyscrambler, in case a keylogger ever gets by.
I've never personally been a fan of CCleaner. I find it does a fair job but isn't exactly what I like to see. Try that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and let me know what you think of it.

Seeing you put the keyscrambler (BTW, the premium version of that software is just wonderful!)up there is kinda odd... I'm actually in the process of writing a program that will allow a number pad to be shown on the screen. Just like the 10Key accept after each number is input the numbers themselves scramble therefore even if they had a detection of mouse clicks, they couldn't get in.

Once I get it all setup and working the way I want it I will start putting it on my business machines for clients, at a small fee of course. I'll keep you in mind when I go to test it out and might send you a free copy of it if you wouldn't mind trying it

Old 10-10-2008, 12:39 PM

I wouldn't suggest CCleaner as the only program, but it does get rid of a bunch of unnecessary stuff that happens to have maleware in it. Only bad thing is you have to sign in to some sites, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or