U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 PM

347 posts, read 1,012,556 times

Advertisements

Too bad your laptop died. Yes, it does sound like the battery. Hopefully you can source a new battery. Remember to fully charge the new battery, and then let it drain completely the first 2-3 times before you recharge it. And let it drain completely at least once every 6 months. This logic is true for any rechargeable battery. Makes them last really long.
Well, Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Well, it finally died. It was getting worse and worse, I would reboot it and within 5 seconds it would just click off...all color indicators gone black. Or sometimes it would just have the black screen with that error message that I mentioned before "call your vendor blah blah blah hardware problem" I also think there may have been a problem with the cord from the laptop to the elect. outlet, because I could wiggle it and the indicators would go on and off.
I wonder how hard it would be to find a new (cheap) power cord with that big 'brick' on it? Or are they all standard?[/b] I ended up buying a desktop Dell XPS series which I am MADLY in love with . (So much for my meager savings account...) It is super fast!! However, I did have some photos and stuff on the HP laptop I would like to retrieve if possible, plus it would be nice to get it working as a back-up, or for travel.
By the way, ya'll are smart!! I love smart men ;-)
(oops sorry 20yearsinbranson if you are indeed a country GIRL! love you too!)
Laptop hard drives have different connectors on them to desktops, especially the older ones.

The good news is you can buy inexpensive converters that will allow you to use a laptop hard drive in a desktop computer. These should be available at your local computer store.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:30 AM

3,219 posts, read 5,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
I ended up buying a desktop Dell XPS series which I am MADLY in love with .
I hope that your BF or Husband is not jealous.

I'm sorry about your laptop.

Enjoy your new computer!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:12 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,767,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
Laptop hard drives have different connectors on them to desktops, especially the older ones.

The good news is you can buy inexpensive converters that will allow you to use a laptop hard drive in a desktop computer. These should be available at your local computer store.
When I purchased an external enclosure (MadDog was the brand, spent $30-40) to house a hard drive I had removed from a dead desk top (to subsequently attach it to my new desktop with USB), I noticed similar enclosures for laptop drives. Is that what you mean by a 'converter'?

It's simple as pie to remove a hard drive from a desktop, but I've never attempted one in a laptop - is it just as easy?

If all the above is true, would that be the easiest and cheapest solution for kitty3 to retrieve data from her dead laptop?

Old 10-13-2008, 06:28 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,008,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
When I purchased an external enclosure (MadDog was the brand, spent $30-40) to house a hard drive I had removed from a dead desk top (to subsequently attach it to my new desktop with USB), I noticed similar enclosures for laptop drives. Is that what you mean by a 'converter'?

It's simple as pie to remove a hard drive from a desktop, but I've never attempted one in a laptop - is it just as easy?

If all the above is true, would that be the easiest and cheapest solution for kitty3 to retrieve data from her dead laptop?
No, that is an enclosure, you can purchase a converter/adapter that allows you to plug a 2.5 (laptop) IDE hard drive into a desktop hard drive controller.
SATA drives use the same connectors for desktops and laptops so no converter is needed.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
You can get a USB external enclosure for a laptop hard drive for about $10-15 plus shipping. I usually check Newegg or TigerDirect when I need things like this.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post

If anything, it is easier to remove a hard drive from a laptop than a desktop. You just have to undo the screws for the HDD cover on the underside of the laptop, undo maybe one screw or clip for the hard drive, and slide it sideways to unlock it, and lift it out.

Laptop IDE HDDs have power built into their IDE connector, but as has been said, the SATA connectors on a laptop are the same as a desktop.

You can buy enclosures for 3.5" HDDs, but I was talking about a small circuit board that has a laptop IDE HDD connector on one side, and a desktop IDE connector and power connector on the other. These are designed to fit inside a desktop computer permanently. They look a lot like IDE to SATA converters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or