Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:33 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times

Advertisements

The word "can't" doesn't exist in my vocabulary - the word "how" is always used. However, lately, it seems that the dang "can't" word keeps trying to worm its way in - I can't get my computer to work right, I can't make AOL 9.1 behave, I can't understand the difference between DRAM or RAM or the rest of the alphabet soup .. and so forth.

So, I was thinking why not learn how a computer works so that I can indeed fix things myself or at least understand the problem rather than tear my hair out.

Obviously this kind of education can't [there's that word] be acquired overnight. And my crazy schedule means I can't [again that word] commit to day or night classes at a local college. I don't need a degree or certificate (although a piece of paper would be nice to frame on my wall, but it's not necessary.) So, how [a better word]?

Are there any worthy online classes out there? Or can I book learn? I do have a thicker-than-a-NYC-phonebook manual on Win XP which I've cracked once in blue moon for help, and I have a decent supply of Dummies books that have, on rare occasion, helped with a problem.

As I said elsewhere, in the olden days of BASIC and COBOL and double floppy drives, I was the family geek. I'd like to catch up on the technology and be the geek once again. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 06:31 AM

16,672 posts, read 15,668,595 times
A reasonable place to start is with gathering the skills needed to obtain certification under CompTIA's A+ testing. It's pretty well universally recognized as the first certification a technician needs. After that one, you can take as many as you want to pay for. It's been a lot of years since I did that one, but I'd do a search for free online resources related to that subject.

One result I got is here:

Free CompTIA A+ Essentials: A+ Certification Exam Study: Comptia A+ Certification Test Practice: A Plus

I found it by googling "free online comptia a+ training" and picked one that looked worth reading.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
A reasonable place to start is with gathering the skills needed to obtain certification under CompTIA's A+ testing. It's pretty well universally recognized as the first certification a technician needs. After that one, you can take as many as you want to pay for. It's been a lot of years since I did that one, but I'd do a search for free online resources related to that subject.

One result I got is here:

Free CompTIA A+ Essentials: A+ Certification Exam Study: Comptia A+ Certification Test Practice: A Plus

I found it by googling "free online comptia a+ training" and picked one that looked worth reading.
Thanks mensaguy! I did start a google search but didn't know how to limit my search and I got such lists of way too much junque. Now I can focus!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:10 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Thanks mensaguy! I did start a google search but didn't know how to limit my search and I got such lists of way too much junque. Now I can focus!
The A+ study material is a good start, I recommend though getting a comprehensive study guide for it which should meet your needs on learning about computers. Also, just head down to the bookstore and look around the books there. Browse through them and look for something that fits your learning style.

As for the A+, its more of a entry level cert that prepares you for the basics of the current industry. I think the test numbers for the exams are 601 and 602 currently which is the essentials and the tech exams. Both are required for the A+ cert. They are fairly similar, though obviously by its title, the tech one will spend a bit more time on the details and more focus in the troubleshooting areas.

Now if you really want to delve into the details of a computer, I suggest finding study material for the 301 and 302 tests. They are the old exams for the A+, but they contain a lot of details on older dos and win3.1/9x stuff. The benefit of it is that you learn about the machine at a bit of the lower level. For instance, manual configuration of various hardware devices is no longer covered on the new A+ exam due to the fact that most things are self configuring at that level with only minimal adjusting on your part.

The study material for those exams should give you a better understanding of windows machines both software and hardware with a tad bit dealing with Linux and Mac. It will cover the basics of products as well as how to troubleshoot common issues.

If you really want to get a low level view, basically seeing how things tick, how it all comes about, then I highly suggest this book:

Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software, by Charles Petzold

It is an excellent book that will cover the core of computer science explaining everything from the most basic concepts of code structures to the low level function of a circut written in a very easy to understand and often humours way.

Here is the table of contents:

Quote:
Table of Contents

Preface iv
Chapter 1 Best Friends
Chapter 2 Codes and Combinations
Chapter 3 Braille and Binary Codes
Chapter 4 Anatomy of a Flashlight
Chapter 5 Seeing Around Corners
Chapter 6 Telegraphs and Relays
Chapter 7 Our Ten Digits
Chapter 8 Alternatives to 10
Chapter 9 Bit by Bit by Bit
Chapter 10 Logic and Switches
Chapter 11 Gates (Not Bill)
Chapter 12 A Binary Adding Machine
Chapter 13 But What About Subtraction?
Chapter 14 Feedback and Flip-Flops
Chapter 15 Bytes and Hex
Chapter 16 An Assemblage of Memory
Chapter 17 Automation
Chapter 18 From Abaci to Chips
Chapter 19 Two Classic Microprocessors
Chapter 20 ASCII and a Cast of Characters
Chapter 21 Get on the Bus
Chapter 22 The Operating System
Chapter 23 Fixed Point, Floating Point
Chapter 24 Languages High and Low
Chapter 25 The Blossoming
Acknowledgment
Index

I don't want to overwhelm you, but if you are really interested in computers, learning the core will build a solid base where all other things are easily picked up.

The A+ is a start and there are numerous certs in all areas you can study both giving your the knowledge you seek as well as even adding some support to your resume.

Comptia is the certification organization that will most likely fit your needs at this level. If you go through the A+ stuff, they also have other exams at entry level to intermediate concepts such as the Network+ (generic concepts in networking with various systems), Security+ (everything from how certificates work, hashes, encryption, and even basic security policies both physical as well as virtual), Linux+ (Similar to the A+, yet focused entirely on Linux and the various distributions), Server+ (various types of server setups from various systems ranging from E-mail to Domain Name Servers) as well as many other area focuses.

Anyway, to basically answer your question, yes you can self study this on your own if you start with the comprehensive material. Who knows, you may eat up a lot of it and decide to change your focus in life. Ive seen it happen before. Good luck and Good learning!

Old 10-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Since you're interested in learning for learning's sake, I would suggest looking at Network + topics also.

However, first of all, you need to find out of you're really geeky enough to do this. To find out, go here:

Geek Out with the Original Geek Test

Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Since you're interested in learning for learning's sake, I would suggest looking at Network + topics also.

However, first of all, you need to find out of you're really geeky enough to do this. To find out, go here:

Geek Out with the Original Geek Test
lol that test while somewhat accurate in its "stereotypical" approach to those in the field, what I have always found is that mere interest in a topic and the willingness to go beyond the surface is all anyone needs in the field.

I once met an IT director who was the "outdoor type" (hunting, fishing, hiking, owned horses, etc..) who was very knowledgeable on many aspects of computers ranging from network infrastructure to low level programming and he would fail that test horribly. Maybe he was the exception, but Ive always found tests that attempt to "place" people into a possibility as merely a uniformed structure of the masses. Point being, if a person is willing to take on the subject, all that matters is their dedication and perseverance mixed with some honest interest and they will do fine.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Don't take the Geek Test seriously. Just have fun with it. My daughter sent me the link several years ago, then followed up with, "How'd you do, Dad?" So, in true geek fashion, I told her that I had passed the test and had electronic copies to prove it that would be saved away to compare with future scores should I ever decide to take it again.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-20-2008 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: too many commas ,,,,

Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM

I did post that I did take the Geek Test, but <sigh> it must have gone into cyberspace and hit an Orionid meteor or something because my post never showed up.

Anyway, I fall somewhere between Total Geek and Major Geek, so I guess I qualify. Just kiddin' - you're right, Nomander, that "if a person is willing to take on the subject, all that matters is their dedication and perseverance mixed with some honest interest and they will do fine."

It was a fun test - really made me look at who I am!

I do have to say that all the replies to my OP have made me realize that an old dog can learn new tricks, and I actually had the confidence today to dissect AOL to remove an Active Update that's been nagging me (every 20 minutes) to install. Don't want the update; don't want to be annoyed with the dang popup. So far so good - it's disappeared (although tomorrow is another day.)

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,131,243 times
I'm a 'poser'!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Don't take the Geek Test seriously. Just have fun with it. My daughter sent me the link several years ago, then followed up with, "How'd you do, Dad?" So, in true geek fashion, I told her that I had passed the test and had electronic copies to prove it that would be saved away to compare with future scores should I ever decide to take it again.
Oh I'm not, I think it is fun and to be honest as I said, it tends to be representative of a lot of people focused in those fields. I just didn't want the OP to look at it as some "requirement" or get discouraged if they don't meet the criteria. *chuckle*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers