U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be intrested?
Yes 6 50.00%
No 1 8.33%
Maybe 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:32 PM

82 posts, read 238,530 times

Advertisements

I know I know, that can get you into a lot of trouble....

Anyway, I've been reading a lot of the threads both in computers and internet asking how to do this or what do I need to do that etc. SO, I was thinking about doing a weekly or bi-monthly post on 'how to ______'. Each post would give all the needed information, possibly some video and for sure some images of how to do whatever the topic happens to be...

Would this be something that the people that read this section would be interested in or would I be wasting my time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,497,278 times
Maybe.

I don't have a lot of spare time, and I already have plenty of projects for the time I do have, but I like the idea and wouldn't be averse to contributing. Just can't guarantee anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualevo View Post
I was thinking about doing a weekly or bi-monthly post ...
(was that supposed to be semi-monthly?)

Old 10-09-2008, 10:52 PM

82 posts, read 238,530 times
Contributing, by all means I would be more than willing to let anyone else that wanted to help do one to toss one up. I am saying that I'm willing to do it

Yes, I guess to clarify, semi would be the correct term as bi can mean 2 times a month or every 2 months.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Yac

5,970 posts, read 6,634,876 times
This is a great idea for a city-data based blog I say: go for it!
Yac.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 AM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
I agree with Yac that it seems to be an idea ideally suited to a blog. This is a difficult forum in which to participate. We often try to answer questions without having enough information from the original post to be able to do our best, and many of the threads have died without the contributors ever finding out if the advice they gave was useful. There could even be some entries about how to pose good questions in this forum.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:34 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I agree with Yac that it seems to be an idea ideally suited to a blog. This is a difficult forum in which to participate. We often try to answer questions without having enough information from the original post to be able to do our best, and many of the threads have died without the contributors ever finding out if the advice they gave was useful. There could even be some entries about how to pose good questions in this forum.
Maybe somebody could post a "Read this first" sticky, asking for pertinent information so people answering will be less likely to have to ask for it.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM

11,744 posts, read 11,315,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Maybe somebody could post a "Read this first" sticky, asking for pertinent information so people answering will be less likely to have to ask for it.
Good thought. As this all gets discussed, something good will come. Perhaps a Sticky with some "How to get help here" suggestions as well as some links to blogs with ideas like mentioned in the OP.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:33 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,079,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Good thought. As this all gets discussed, something good will come. Perhaps a Sticky with some "How to get help here" suggestions as well as some links to blogs with ideas like mentioned in the OP.
Some in Cnet ask that people put information about their computer and system in their version of "about me," for quick reference, but I doubt many do. There's no obvious way to do it in City-data.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Yac

5,970 posts, read 6,634,876 times
If someone creates a short faq thread it would be great as a sticky. I could also edit it to add new questions as they pop up.
The only thing we need now is someone with a bit too much time on their hands
Yac.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:16 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,645,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
If someone creates a short faq thread it would be great as a sticky. I could also edit it to add new questions as they pop up.
The only thing we need now is someone with a bit too much time on their hands
Yac.

Did someone say my name? Oh well, back to work...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers