U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 AM

347 posts, read 1,012,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If the most important feature for you is scanning, then you should look at those specs and focus on the reviews that talk about that feature.

In the specs for a scanner, you're looking for optical resolution - the higher the better. Ignore anything about "software" or "ehnanced"

What is the minimum I should look for? Some products state just a dpi, some dpiXdpi... How do I calculate and decide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,493,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttrBug View Post
What is the minimum I should look for? Some products state just a dpi, some dpiXdpi... How do I calculate and decide?
Any modern scanner should have sufficient resolution for you, unless you're going to be scanning photos and are anal about the results. My scanner is 600dpi, and I'm happy enough with it, even for photos. Even cheap scanners now are at least that, if not 1200, so pretty much anything will probably be ok.

I'd narrow it down to three or four models that you're considering based on specs, then go looking for reviews. If you're going to be doing a lot of scanning of photos, you could also ask in photography forums, to see if anyone there has any experience with those models.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:46 AM

4,593 posts, read 8,198,614 times
Personally I'd avoid all in ones. They're nothing but trouble in my experience - of course, I've only had experience with HPs... so maybe its the vendor and not the technology.

But, if you're looking at just scanners - I did this research a number of years ago when I was looking to scan in about 5000 medium format negatives of my wedding. At that time, the best scanner in my price range was an Epson Perfection 4870. It was around $600... but compared to the Minolta that costs $4K, it was a bargain.

As for optical resolution needed - I think you need to determine that yourself based on your need. A quick search shows that most are 4800dpi. Just as a reference, the scanner I had was 4800x9600... and at the time that was pretty good without going into the professional realm.

Oh - and keep in mind the interfaces. Most will support USB - but I'd suggest you go the firewire route if you can.. makes life easier.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:50 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,690,863 times
ugh, I have an HP all in one (cost just under $100) and I hate it with a passion!!. this thing is constantly jamming, the cartridge is constantly stalling. I get pop ups asking me to take HP surveys (never got them before installing this printer), I get these update pop ups on my task bar that never seem to pop up correctly, so I have to really dig around to find the "ok" or "cancel" button (this could be an issue w/ my laptop, but this only happens w/ HP updates). and, when I do try to install updates, it sometimes asks me for the install disk, which I don't keep nearby. and of course, I get plenty of HP offers in my email that I unsubscribe to about every other week to no avail

before this printer, I had this super simple Canon photo printer, though not an all-in-one. that thing gave me little problems, just a very infrequent paper jam here and there. only reason I got rid of it was b/c I moved out of state, though nowadays, I wish I had packed it into my carry-on and bought it with me. I'm not sure if the problem is w/ HP or if it's just b/c all-in-ones are more prone to these types of issues than regular photo printers (unfortunately, I need a scanner to scan pages from books for school, otherwise, I'd just get a used cheap inkjet)

sorry, just needed to rant about this. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with HP printer issues

Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
I've installed, and then recommended for others, several Visioneer USB flatbed scanners. They've been used for scanning photographs, OCR applications for blind users, general document scanning, etc. We had one just quit working after a few years, but it was simply replaced with a new one since they only cost $79-$89 each. I don't remember what model number they were, but I'd be looking for something cheap.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 AM

Mensaguy, I never heard of Visioneer until now. Where do you get them for $80-$90? The lowest I see is $175. Is Visioneer owned by any of the big name brands?

Lots of useful information from everyone. Gave me lots to consider and think about. Thanks! Looks like I will have to start over and go look at the stores this weekend.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:10 AM

11,727 posts, read 11,309,113 times
There are many places to shop. One I like is NewEgg.com. I went there, then clicked on Printers and Scanners under Computer Hardware, then selected Flatbed Scanners, then selected Visioneer under manufacturers. Four items came up with the first one priced at $89.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM

4,753 posts, read 12,447,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ugh, I have an HP all in one (cost just under $100) and I hate it with a passion!!.
Ditto. Right now my HP all in one is having some issue where I can't copy or scan and I don't have the time to spend six hours trouble shooting it. I wanted to save desk space but if this is representative of HP all in one reliability, next time I will likely buy a scanner and a printer, not try to get both in the same machine.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:08 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Ditto. Right now my HP all in one is having some issue where I can't copy or scan and I don't have the time to spend six hours trouble shooting it. I wanted to save desk space but if this is representative of HP all in one reliability, next time I will likely buy a scanner and a printer, not try to get both in the same machine.
It's just representative of HP. I would recommend a canon.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Yes, I personally have had trouble with both my hp printer and scanner. But I chalked it up to issues with windows 98. Guess that probably wasn't the case then.

So no HP. Canon's are great, I agree. But pricey. Probably worth it though.
What about Kodak? I'm seeing a lot on sale now. Everyone seems to have a great price on their ESP 3se? But it's a all-in-one, and after reading all the posts here, I'm angling towards just a good scanner. Still, I'd like to know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or