Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 12:24 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,362,267 times

Advertisements

Just curious on either a standard inkjet vs laser general printing of less than 100 pages / labels a month. What's the self life of the inks and the drum.... either in the unit and or boxed un opened......?
And talking about labels is their a easy way on either printer to register your page so you know what column and what label the printer will start on next time you print a label.... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,329,448 times
I am regretting the day I bought my HP all in one. I had an older HP printer/copier/scanner that worked great with XP but when I bought a new computer it didn't work with Vista, so I went out and spent about $200 on a fancy schmancy HP all in one printer/copier/scanner/fax (C7280) and it sucks. I didn't hook it up for over a month because I was moving and decided to not unpack it until I was settled. So today I got a fatal error message when I tried to install it and THREE hours on the phone with HP tech support got me nowhere - I ended up screaming and swearing at the guy in tech support because he refused to transfer me to level 2 support, or let me speak with his supervisor (I had tried for over an hour to get him to transfer me and he just kept up with the infuriating excuses in that annoying voice). I ended up calling back and after 15 minutes with the next person I got a supervisor. They are supposed to be calling me tomorrow with higher level support. We'll see what happens.

I wish I'd tried to install it sooner because now it's too late to return it. I'm thinking of trying to sell it on ebay and buying a different brand. I liked the feature to print wirelessly but it's not an absolute requirement, so maybe I can find something cheaper and just connect with the USB when I want to print/scan. I usually sit with my computer on my lap in the living room, so the wireless would have been nice. I just don't think the aggravation with HP is worth it. Another $100 and I can save my sanity.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 AM

339 posts, read 1,259,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Just curious on either a standard inkjet vs laser general printing of less than 100 pages / labels a month. What's the self life of the inks and the drum.... either in the unit and or boxed un opened......?
And talking about labels is their a easy way on either printer to register your page so you know what column and what label the printer will start on next time you print a label.... ?
Most of the drums have a best before date on them, or on the box, but it is generally in the order of 20-24 months if the cartridge is stored in a cool,dry, location in it's original packaging.

EDIT: As for the label printing, you could create a table in word or other package and make the cells the same dimensions as the area of the label you want printed and put other columns/rows in between to act as buffers.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 PM

9,679 posts, read 14,149,908 times
Generally speaking, I go with HP for everything....EXCEPT....for the scanner. I bought a very cheap, Canon Lide60 and it's been great! No bells or whistles, just performs a simple task, with a simple click. It's a couple years old, and no problems.

I'm not one for buying equipment that does 2-3 different tasks. One of my best investments in 1995 was a Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4000 b/w printer! That thing STILL rocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers