Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times

Advertisements

For each client, I have two colums: Total Sales and Total Returns.

Each client has multiple transactions so I subtotaled (using the subtotal function in Excel) the "Total Sales" and "Total Returns" column.

Now I need to find the percent of Total Returns to Total Sales. How can I do this on the subtotal only without doing it for each transaction? I tried dragging the formula down, but it does the calculation for each transaction when I want it for the subtotals only. There's a LOT of customers so I'm trying to find an easier way than having to manually delete all the percentages from each transaction and keeping only the subtotal percentage.

If anybody has an idea - I'd appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
It sounds like a reference issue. When you move the formula down, it's doing each calculation based on the relative position of the source cells, when you want it to stay locked on the subtotal cell. To fix that, you need to change the reference in the formula to the subtotal cell from relative to absolute. The Excel Help feature can advise you on setting references in your formula.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM

i will look the reference thing up - thanks!!

Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
How can I do this on the subtotal only without doing it for each transaction? I tried dragging the formula down, but it does the calculation for each transaction when I want it for the subtotals only.
I tried something like this, so hopefully it works for you.

Make sure you have a header row (e.g. "Customer Name" "Total Sales" "Total Returns").

Select the header row and click Data->Filter->AutoFilter. You should now have a pull down menu in each of the header cells.

Click the "Customer Name" menu, and select "Custom..."

You want to Show rows where Customer Name Contains total
- in the first pull-down menu select "contains"
- in the first text box, type "Total"

This should give you a worksheet which only shows the subtotals (which will likely all be $0.00).

Now you can insert your formula (which will show up as #DIV/0!) and drag it down to each of the subtotals, without getting the intervening transactions.

Select Data->Filter->Autofilter and you should be back to normal (without the #DIV/0!)

Hope this works for you.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:05 PM

great idea with the filter ... thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers