Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you getting a MacBook?
Yes 5 22.73%
Maybe 4 18.18%
Waiting for improvements 3 13.64%
No 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:33 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
By the way, it was Bill Gates who coined the term "Mac tax", and it was in reference to Mac users paying more for ascetics (appearance), and nothing else.
I meant to write aesthetics, but I guess ascetics could also work in a Fruedian slip kind of way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Personally, I find it ironic that the Apple fanboys are the ones quoting 8% market share, as a defense of their product. Are you trying to convince us that Apple isn't trying to take over the world like Microsoft?

And remember, that 8% is for ALL laptops. And, I can tell you right now, that if you looked at private laptops, not the ones purchased by or for businesses... Apple is looking at up to 40% of that market. Considering how if you look at laptops in my house, its 2/3 Apple to PC. 2/4 if my work laptop counts again.

And I'm not against buying a Macbook pro, and I think I would, if it wasn't so much more damned expensive than others.

Though, I am leaning towards the macbook air, and other similar ultra lightweights.
I have always found the term fanboys cute, and up until about 2005 it would have suited me to a T. But now, I really don't care.

That 8% is for all Apple computers, not just laptops, although I could see how they might have a larger share of the laptop market. The iPhone and the iPod are what is really dominating Apple's success, so the figures can get a little skewed if you do not keep that in mind.

I wouldn't say that Apple is trying to take over the world; if they were then Apple would open back up to the third-party market. There are a lot of people who like, and would buy, OSX if they did not also have to purchase an Apple machine. Personally, I think that Jobs gets off on rubbing the success of Apple into his critics faces, since his business plan is either complete genius, or completely moronic. But either way, the man is definitely running the show how he wants to run it despite how many people laugh at his ideas.

By the way, if Apple did run the world-wide computer market, you better believe that they would introduce something niche to compete against themselves. Maybe bring back NeXT (which became OSX, anyways)?

One thing about Macs, though, is that when they introduce a new product to their line (usually in the form of an upgrade), they usually drop the price on the rest of the line as well.

Blu-ray. There were rumors that the new Macbooks that just came out were possibly going to have blu-ray, but Apple may be a long time coming with this as they want people to buy or rent movies from iTunes; as you know, that is their business model.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM

190 posts, read 882,275 times
Quote:
Blu-ray. There were rumors that the new Macbooks that just came out were possibly going to have blu-ray, but Apple may be a long time coming with this as they want people to buy or rent movies from iTunes; as you know, that is their business model.

Three things Apple won't do | Apple - CNET News

Old 10-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPolice View Post
Yeah, too bad about the NetBooks, though. Personally I think that they would sell really well.

Another thing about Mac laptops is that they retain a really high resale value. 12" G3 iBooks are still going for $200 - $400 and some G4's are going for $1,000+.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:01 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
Yeah, too bad about the NetBooks, though. Personally I think that they would sell really well.

Another thing about Mac laptops is that they retain a really high resale value. 12" G3 iBooks are still going for $200 - $400 and some G4's are going for $1,000+.
You got that right!

I like my Mac over my Windows because of: OSX,iLife and High Resale Value! My Windows machines aren't worth anything, as far as resale.

I'm buying a new MacBook as my Christmas gift to myself !

I bought my refurb G4 Powerbook 15 for $1200 (plus tax) from Apple 2 years ago. It still works great. But I can sell it for around $1000 - 1200 US or overseas. So not a bad investment at all.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
I've never really understood why resale value for tech equipment is so valuable..

Maybe its just me, and my desire to collect and keep everything I own... but I use my PCs down to the very very end. Hell, I still have an Athlon XP 2200+ proc collecting dust somewhere. But, for me, I treat my computers like my cars.. I use them and care for them until something breaks so irreversably that I cannot fix it. Theres no reason for 'resale' value. I'm not leasing a notebook or buying one as an investment.

But, thats just me.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 AM

715 posts, read 1,149,042 times
Quote:
I've never really understood why resale value for tech equipment is so valuable..

Maybe its just me, and my desire to collect and keep everything I own... but I use my PCs down to the very very end. Hell, I still have an Athlon XP 2200+ proc collecting dust somewhere. But, for me, I treat my computers like my cars.. I use them and care for them until something breaks so irreversably that I cannot fix it. Theres no reason for 'resale' value. I'm not leasing a notebook or buying one as an investment.

But, thats just me.
I'm the same way. Kept PCs and parts all over the house.

Then I started getting better at selling on the Web. I try to spend at least 1 hour preparing sell ads on Ebay or Craigslist or Amazon. So far, I'm making quite a few bucks, while cleaning out my house in the process. It's actually a lot of fun. Also got into donating Linux loaded PCs to folks who can't afford them.

All I have left are three Pentium-4 PCs that I got free from my wife's office when they bought all new PCs. I dual booted them with XP and Linux Mint or Ubuntu. I've got an even older Pentium 3 machine, dual boot with Windows 2000 Pro and Xubuntu. Then two Pentium 2 laptops, both with Xubuntu (crawls), dualboot with Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux (usable, but still haven't solved the wireless problem).

Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Theres no reason for 'resale' value. I'm not leasing a notebook or buying one as an investment.

But, thats just me.
I agree, don't claim to understand it, but that is just how it is. What I really do not understand is that plenty of people are willing to shell the loot for these older laptops when they can get a new one for a couple hundred more, if not for the same price. I know that some people like the older Macs because they still use Classic (OS9) or they would have to (think that they would have to) upgrade all of their software for the new Intel Macs so they are sticking with what they can use, but other then that, I don't get it.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM

15 posts, read 24,020 times
Default mac vs windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I refuse to pay a premium on hardware that's no better than Windows based laptops.
what are you talking about? Windows SUCKS compared to MACS!!!! Macs are the best computers out there. However, they are only great for someone who is working with music, video editing, and media stuff like that. If your just boring and just use a comp for internet then go windows! but macs are way more advanced

Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery_Raymond View Post
what are you talking about? Windows SUCKS compared to MACS!!!! Macs are the best computers out there. However, they are only great for someone who is working with music, video editing, and media stuff like that. If your just boring and just use a comp for internet then go windows! but macs are way more advanced
And here's a Mac fanboy now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers