U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:27 AM

258 posts, read 796,796 times

Advertisements

accidentally got my mouse pad wet on my laptop, is there anything I can do to fix it? My space bar is kind of sticky also...........gggrrrr! Only one side of my mouse pad works
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 AM

72 posts, read 210,048 times
Download the manual for your laptop. It will show you how to remove the keyboard. Clean it and let it dry completely before installing it and turning on your laptop again.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:02 PM

thank you, but I don't understand what you mean about downloading a manual. I don't really get the jist of the keyboard thing. Can you help me further in more detail. I am pretty much a nitwit when it comes to these things. I am using it now but the spacebar is still a bit sticky and the mouse pad only works on the right side. I thought maybe the circuits or wires underneath got wet and then I would be screwed and not be able to do anything. I appreciate your reply and please help me to understand what you mean. Thank You

Last edited by Putty; 10-19-2008 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: mistake....oops

Old 10-19-2008, 01:07 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,877,079 times
Take it to a competant shop, it needs to be disassembled to asses the damage, if you've never done that to a laptop before, starting on one that you want to keep is not a good idea. Moisture will start corrosion on the tiny cables and contacts within days, the longer you wait, the more it's gonna cost.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:39 PM

yesterday when I did it, I got it dry by wiping it off, didn't know what else to do, then I tried it and it was alright until I noticed that the left side of the mousepad wouldn't work, it pushes down but nothing happens, the right button works fine. Right now I have to use my right button and of course this doesn't work because when I click on something a menu comes up . I went into the mouse settings and tried to change it from left side to right side, and vice versa. This didn't work, everything else is working fine. After using my spacebar a while this morning it seems to be working just fine, it had been sticky yesterday. I pretty much do not know how this happened, I set my laptop down and went to get a refill on my coffee, and I guess when I got up there must have been coffee dripping from the bottom of my mug and I didn't realize it until I got back with the refill.......I am sick, if it can be fixed, I am thinking this will cost a fortune. I guess I have to take it into Circuit City where I bought, I am new in town and I don't know who I can trust in the yellow pages. Who knows he/she might mess it up more you know? Even if someone says the person is good. This costs me alot of money, and I can't afford to get it messed up even more if I don't go to someboby reputable like Circuit City where I bought it from, and of course had I boughten the service agreement, it wouldn't have covered a spill anyhow. Oh well, it has been 24hours and it still doesn't work. I guess it is going to curcuit city tomorrow. If Eric, comes back on, maybe he can help me with that manual download thingy.

Last edited by Putty; 10-19-2008 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: posters name

Old 10-19-2008, 01:48 PM

I would highly recommend you NOT take it to circuit city, most of them (same as best buy) are clueless minimum wage people (I will not call them techs) that have no clue what they're talking about. I've had more than one person in my shop to get a second opinion from theirs, and I was appauled at what they are telling people, not to mention they are way over priced, you pay a premium and get morons. Ask around and find a good local shop.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,905 posts, read 4,587,714 times
I don't know much about the care of a laptop, either, and I notice that some of my keys are sticking -- I'm thinking maybe some of that aerosol cleaner might help. Do you think so??

Also, with regard to the mouse not working properly, could a wireless mouse maybe substitute??

Just curious, as I'm not sure how to care for mine either -- thanks!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM

That aerosol cleaner? No idea what that is, but if it's not safe for electronics stay away from it. Also keep in mind that if you go spraying cleaners into your laptop, the junk it loosens up has to go somewhere, and that will be down, deeper into the laptop, not exactly a good idea.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:11 PM

I can use a mouse, with the wire, or wireless but I prefer to use the one on my laptop. I am so use to the mouse pad. Furthermore I hate using those mieces to pieces.....lol.

Wisteria, are you talking about the computer air spray cans at the stores? They are made for computers right? They just spray pressured air in between the cracks?

I use wipes for my glasses, u can even get wipes for electronics that look just like the glasses wipe.

Ok Dave, now your scaring me! Guess I will have to ask around at work, and pray they are reputable and know what they are doing. I thought the guys at circuit city are trained technicians that work on the computers. If all else fails, I think the computer geeks at circuit city could help, for a high cost I am sure. These aren't the technicians you are talking about are they?

Old 10-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Canned air isn't gonna do much for a wet laptop as you not going to get the air where it's needed.
Yes those are the people I'm talking about, you may get lucky and find a good one, but most of them are far from technicians.

Digg - Geek Squad .. SUCKS! (http://digg.com/tech_news/Geek_Squad_SUCKS - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers