Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
Ok this is the problem.

Every time I log onto the computer, I get a box WINDOWS INSTALLER, trying to install something called Roxio Media Manager.
"please wait while Windows configures Roxio Media Manager"

Then though I try to hit cancel, it looks like its trying to cancel but then starts installing again. I have tried to stop the running process of this application on Task Manager. Can't. I can't find it in my Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

Then when it's done trying to install, the message comes up:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package. (shows a browse button). If I hit Ok, the same thing happens as above. If I hit cancel, it still attempts to install. If I hit browse, it goes to System folder and there is no such folder containing the installation package (unless it's called something else in the System folder)

During one of these attempts of this Windows Installer trying to install Roxio, a WINDOWS message showed up "Data Execution Prevention", stating it has closed this program for "safety" or something like that. Well if it did, it didnt work. Roxio still keeps trying.

Then I get an ERROR 1706 "no valid source could be found for product Roxio Media Manager. The WIndows Installer cannot continue. But it does.

BACKGROUND:

ONLY THING THAT HAS HAPPENED UNUSUAL IN LAST 24 HOURS....Couldnt get online. Called Tech Support of my network provider. Found out I had an IP address that was something the DSN or whatever assigns if they cant find one or whatever....Tech support troubleshooted, and fixed it. Said it was a WINSOCK corruption.

I have WEBROOT SPY SWEEPER. Not picking up any viruses during full sweeps. CCleaner has been used to clean out any crap, as I do every day. I have WINDOWS FIREWALL on...however it was off during network provider troubleshooting, because they told me to, trying to figure out why i wasnt getting a Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection.

NO ONE uses my laptop but me. I live alone. I live waaaay out in the sticks, I mean so far that not even GPS picks up where I live here in Texas, so to tap into my DSL wireless, they would have to have an incredibly strong signal or something to reach to my wireless line.

My Dell Inspiron 2200 works fine now, other than that annoying problem described above.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME! This is drving me to drink! ARGH!!! Thank you and God Bless. I will subscribe to this thread so I get reply notification STAT!

You may have system issues, but as far as the problem in the OP, Roxio is a fairly lame CD/DVD burner program Dell bundles with their PC's. The version they give you is an even more lame demo version that will annoy you forever, first to register, and then to buy the full version. By far the easiest thing is to go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. Find it on the list and remove it from there. Don't use an uninstall that comes with it if it has one. The program isn't all that whippy to begin with, and there are better ones available by download. I'll attach a link to one that seems to be popular right now. If that doesn't fix it you do have system issues and you'll probably end up formatting and reloading everything.

Something else I always recommend; (1) make sure your disk has adequate "free space". Should be about 20% of the disk. (2) defragment regularly, especially after a major change, like adding or removing a program. Be sure your screen saver is off when you do it. IMO this is essential for any Windows version and something I've done since we switched from DOS. Without it you'll get increasingly funny behavior, ending in a crash.

CDBurnerXP: Introduction and News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 21,103 times
Mensaguy - Norton AntiVirus is part of SystemWorks, but whichever way you acquire it you need to have an annual subscription to get the virus signatures. I can see you are not a Symantec fan :-)

Last edited by hyscore; 02-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: to reference reply to original message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyscore View Post
Mensaguy - Norton AntiVirus is part of SystemWorks, but whichever way you acquire it you need to have an annual subscription to get the virus signatures. I can see you are not a Symantec fan :-)
You won't find many Symantec fans here. Now that you mention it, I guess AntiVirus was part of SystemWorks (last copy I owned was 2002). I just always installed it without the antivirus and installed AVG. It's free, and it is much less of a resource hog than Symantec.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:56 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I've had similar issues with different programs trying to install themselves. I've used Task Manager and then Search to help me get rid of them.

When the "I wanna install!" popped up, I went to Task Manager and clicked on the Applications tab. There listed was the install I didn't want. I right clicked on it and chose Go To Process. That took me to the Processes tab and highlighted the actual process I needed to dump. I now knew the name.

I went to Search and looked for that file's name. When I found it, I right clicked on it and chose Open Containing Folder, and that took me right to it. I simply changed the name of the file by adding NO to the beginning of the name.

Sometimes renaming a file isn't allowed, so I've stepped up to the folder itself and renamed that instead.

This does not remove a program (like Roxio) from your computer, but it will give you relief from annoyance if another insistent install pops up in your future.
You are crafty...

Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
If you know the file, you can drag and drop to Inferno. It will be sliced and diced to little bitty pieces.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
Default Removing Roxio after uninstall

Download CC Cleaner and use the settings below

tab: Registry Integrity
checkmark the following, (when asked to make a registry back up say yes)

Missing Shared DLLs
Unused File Extensions
ActiveX and Class Issues
Applications
Application Paths
Obsolete Software
Run at Startup
MUI Cache

Scan for issues, then fix selected issues.

Hope this helps~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers