U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 11:55 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,425,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I loved my Dell laptop. Bought an Acer a few months ago and not very happy with it. Doesn't "remember me", freezes up. Screen is too reflective. And when I close it, I sometimes have to push harder than I think I should- just doesn't seem to catch very well. I had heard that they had gotten better, but I regret the decision.

5 people I know with Acers and all satisfied. Mostly because of price. However, lol, that doesn't mean there aren't bad machines out there.

If your machine is suddenly "freezing" up, there are three common causes....

1. Search for a piece of software called "Memcheck86". d/l it and run it. That will tell you if you have bad memory in the machine.

2. Run "Disk Defragmenter". This will find and block out any issues on your hard drive. It's not absolute, but it comes with Windows.

3. Check your video drivers. The easy way is to run "Windows Update". If will usually point you to a more current driver.

-TT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 AM

9,362 posts, read 23,002,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
5 people I know with Acers and all satisfied. Mostly because of price. However, lol, that doesn't mean there aren't bad machines out there.

If your machine is suddenly "freezing" up, there are three common causes....

1. Search for a piece of software called "Memcheck86". d/l it and run it. That will tell you if you have bad memory in the machine.

2. Run "Disk Defragmenter". This will find and block out any issues on your hard drive. It's not absolute, but it comes with Windows.

3. Check your video drivers. The easy way is to run "Windows Update". If will usually point you to a more current driver.

-TT
Great info- thank you! The only thing I have heard of that you have suggested was the defrag, but it never occurred to me to run it, as this is so new. I will try all!

Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,410,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Na, Vista has a minimum with 512 Megabyte RAM, it recommends 1 Gigabyte for all the colorful features.
It depends what version of Vista you're going to be using. Lots of RAM is required even to make the "Aero" graphics work. That's the part that makes it look as pretty as a Mac ;-)

It's true - MS recommends a certain amount of RAM, but ask somebody who's used VISTA how it works with the minimum recomended amount of RAM.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:16 PM

252 posts, read 992,073 times
Brian, I checked those on TigerDirect, one of those is refurbished are u saying that is a good choice?

That site does have some pretty nice computers that are refurbished, but I am a little leary.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:10 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
It depends what version of Vista you're going to be using. Lots of RAM is required even to make the "Aero" graphics work. That's the part that makes it look as pretty as a Mac ;-)

It's true - MS recommends a certain amount of RAM, but ask somebody who's used VISTA how it works with the minimum recomended amount of RAM.
*Talks to self*

I've used it while it was still codenamed longhorn. I'm still not impressed. I don't care that they hardened the TCP and Network stack of the OSI model. I don't really care that it's as good as an ISA server now. No operating system should have those kinds of requirements. It's ridiculous!

And no all the requirements are the same for all editions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx

Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 PM

10,189 posts, read 25,081,718 times
Why not a MAC and not simulate one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post

Old 02-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Why not a MAC and not simulate one?
I'm upset with MAC for choosing Intel over AMD! That makes me sad! *cries* lol.

But no really, If MAC went with AMD I'm pretty sure they could lower their price to something even more affordable. Not 600 for a 1.6 GHZ system.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Brian, I checked those on TigerDirect, one of those is refurbished are u saying that is a good choice?

That site does have some pretty nice computers that are refurbished, but I am a little leary.
Have you searched half.com?

Or geeks.com?

Many people like newegg.com never used them myself.

The one thing I would check with on tigerdirect is to make sure that have the smallest warranty. Because even 2 days is more than you get with ebay.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I loved my Dell laptop. Bought an Acer a few months ago and not very happy with it. Doesn't "remember me", freezes up. Screen is too reflective. And when I close it, I sometimes have to push harder than I think I should- just doesn't seem to catch very well. I had heard that they had gotten better, but I regret the decision.
Don't forget regular disk cleanup as well as virus scanning and malware/spyware checks!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:50 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,425,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Don't forget regular disk cleanup as well as virus scanning and malware/spyware checks!

Ahh yes, that's the next thing, spyware. It's generally not responsible though for "freezes" or more commonly known as "hangs". I use two free apps, one called AVG Anti-Spyware, and the other is Ad-Aware from Lavasoft.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers