U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 12:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,995,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Ahh yes, that's the next thing, spyware. It's generally not responsible though for "freezes" or more commonly known as "hangs". I use two free apps, one called AVG Anti-Spyware, and the other is Ad-Aware from Lavasoft.

-TT
Oh my, spyware can do a whole plethora of bad things. I get to see all these wonderful things occur first hand since I'm going to school for computer science, but not just that, one of my friends computers was riddled with spyware, and you should of seen the things that poor computer was doing. It wouldn't boot into normal mode for a time, but eventually i could, BUT, you couldn't open programs, couldn't get to the start menu, the programs that would almost run, took about 5 minutes to load before they told you memory access violation. and my favorite... It wouldn't let you install anything either.

I use AVG on my laptop.

I use Lavasoft, spy-bot, and even spywareblaster on my desktop.

But spyware blaster is preventative and I'm really beginning to wonder if spy-bot even does anything anymore.

Lavasoft however, that thing has saved my butt more than once.

And yes, I know you said generally, but more and more these days, that wonderful spyware that gets installed silently and does bad bad things.

And I forgot!

When in doubt system restore! It's very very useful... but if the restore points become infected... Then uh-oh spaghetti o's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 12:15 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,425,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
Oh my, spyware can do a whole plethora of bad things. I get to see all these wonderful things occur first hand since I'm going to school for computer science, but not just that, one of my friends computers was riddled with spyware, and you should of seen the things that poor computer was doing. It wouldn't boot into normal mode for a time, but eventually i could, BUT, you couldn't open programs, couldn't get to the start menu, the programs that would almost run, took about 5 minutes to load before they told you memory access violation. and my favorite... It wouldn't let you install anything either.

I use AVG on my laptop.

I use Lavasoft, spy-bot, and even spywareblaster on my desktop.

But spyware blaster is preventative and I'm really beginning to wonder if spy-bot even does anything anymore.

Lavasoft however, that thing has saved my butt more than once.

And yes, I know you said generally, but more and more these days, that wonderful spyware that gets installed silently and does bad bad things.

And I forgot!

When in doubt system restore! It's very very useful... but if the restore points become infected... Then uh-oh spaghetti o's
Yeah I guess I hardly ever see the stuff on my machines. Most of my friends are in the business, so they also rarely see it. I just run AVG Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Spyware, Zonealarm firewall, and scan every so often with Ad-Aware. No issues to speak of for a LONG time.

Oh yeah, I use Firefox for almost everything. That in itself is a huge help.

LUCKILY, I haven't had to do desktop support for something like 8 or 9 years In the windows 95 and the IE 4 days we didn't have to worry as much. Just good old fashioned viruses.

-TT

Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Yeah I guess I hardly ever see the stuff on my machines. Most of my friends are in the business, so they also rarely see it. I just run AVG Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Spyware, Zonealarm firewall, and scan every so often with Ad-Aware. No issues to speak of for a LONG time.

Oh yeah, I use Firefox for almost everything. That in itself is a huge help.

LUCKILY, I haven't had to do desktop support for something like 8 or 9 years In the windows 95 and the IE 4 days we didn't have to worry as much. Just good old fashioned viruses.

-TT
lol I had problems with AVG so I had to find something else to take it's place. Found 2 nice ones that are working VERY well together. I use to use windows defender, then it wouldn't run... Go figure.

I use Firefox as well. (Have you noticed how many people STILL spell Firefox wrong even though they say on their site how to spell it?)

lol Desktop support is FUN I have to do that all the time... FOR FREE... Stinkin me being nice to my family LOL! But yeah, you're right, viruses back then were super bad! And we didn't have all the nice freeware being distributed that we have now.

And even though i'm using windows, I keep getting lost! LOL! I'm more of a Linux person!

Well why I'm on the subject of Freeware...

First of all, LINUX most distros are FREE. But Linux is HARD to learn. I am becoming a Linux administrator.

AVG Free
Antivir
Clamwin
Spybot Search and Destroy
Javacool Spywareblaster
Ewido(now avg) Spyware scanner(scans mostly for trojans)
Windows Defender(you have to validate so becareful! )
Zonealarm Personal
Sygate (it shouldn't exist but it still does! )
CCleaner

WHOOPS!

Forgot the best freeware out there!

ANYTHING FROM THE MOZILLA CORPORATION!

Last edited by Ronzou; 02-26-2007 at 12:47 AM..

Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 AM

3,350 posts, read 12,797,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Deciding on a laptop, there are refurbished ones on ebay for less than $400 I imagine u are taking quite a risk with those, or not?

I am not electronic savvy so I don't know what "notebook" means vs. "computer" they both look alike to me. Do the notebooks do less?

There are so many out there, how do I choose?

I need a computer badly and thought I would just go ahead and get a laptop this time around.
We bought my son a new compaq at compusa a few weeks ago that will cost us aprox $430. after rebates. It's brand new and has a "warranty". I don't know what your recourse would be buying a used one off ebay should it go bad.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 AM

Here are some!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...503&CatId=1905

That one is an "open box" which means it's been opened then sent back because someone doesn't want it.

Unfortunately it's an Intel Celery Mobile.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...204&CatId=2242

It's a Intel Pentium M! (Centrino)

Oh my here are a plethora of them

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...tegory=Laptops

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB

Geeks gives you a 90 day warranty on anything refurbished.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834146186

I don't really trust newegg because reading reviews everyone has a "high" techlevel knowledge, and it makes me feel stupid just visiting the website.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,410,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
*Talks to self*

I've used it while it was still codenamed longhorn. I'm still not impressed. I don't care that they hardened the TCP and Network stack of the OSI model. I don't really care that it's as good as an ISA server now. No operating system should have those kinds of requirements. It's ridiculous!

And no all the requirements are the same for all editions.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx

Iriquoispliskin -

You know more about computers than I do. That's for sure.....

I looked at your link and found this, which says there's more RAM needed for the fancier versions, and less for the basic...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

Do you know if I'll be able to buy a new computer with XP...or will I be forced to buy VISTA? Your post makes me want to stick with XP for various reasons...

Old 02-27-2007, 12:49 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,410,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Why not a MAC and not simulate one?
Two reasons for me - First, I earn a living with a program which doesn't come in a Mac flavour. Second - To use a workaround, I'd buy a Mac which uses an intel chip and use one of the programs which allows Windows to be run on it. New Mac laptops with 17 in screens cost about $3,000 all in, if I include the cost of Windows etc. I can buy a super duper Windows machine for $2,000.

Actually, there's a third reason - My stepdaughter recently got a brand new Mac laptop. It's been back to the factory twice and it still will only work when plugged in. The experience has been a real eye opener for me. They seemed to have little interest in making us happy to boot: they put used parts in and insisted on selling some service plan to us or they wouldn't continue to talk to us on the phone. If I want lousy service, I'll buy something generic at a box store, but this was a real shock to us...

Other than that - I'd buy a Mac in a heartbeat...

Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Iriquoispliskin -

You know more about computers than I do. That's for sure.....

I looked at your link and found this, which says there's more RAM needed for the fancier versions, and less for the basic...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...uirements.mspx

Do you know if I'll be able to buy a new computer with XP...or will I be forced to buy VISTA? Your post makes me want to stick with XP for various reasons...
It was probably in one of those little asterisks wasn't it? I never look at the bottom of a web page LOL! It's hard enough to stare at all the wonderful colors on most of them these days.

And here is what it says at the bottom for this page. I actually looked for once.

Windows Vista minimum supported system requirements

Home Basic / Home Premium / Business / Ultimate
  • 800 MHz processor and 512 MB of system memory
  • 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space
  • Support for Super VGA graphics
512 is the minimum for all. It doesn't really matter because we all know it's not going to run on the minimum.

Whatever happened to keeping it simple? Gosh lol. It makes my eyes hurt to look at all the moving object on web sites these days.

I don't know anything more than the next person(at least i don't think i do), I'm just going to school for it, so I get a lot of information before others get it. And I get to see and experience first hand with all this wonderful new technology.

For buying a new PC with XP, eventually no, you won't be able to. Because Microsoft has already announced their *Dead* dates for XP Home and XP Pro. It says they are both to be stopped supported 2 years after general availability so 2008 I guess is when you probably won't see XP anymore. I actually rarely see it now.

As for Vista it is VERY fancy, it's insane, it's like a complete make over, I understand that they wanted to do like apple and say here's the point, we've got to do something new, but they've been so backwards for so long, it's just too insane. The new control panel makes no sense to me there are so many icons I can click on it's not funny.

But if you have an XP Home/Pro (I like pro better, more options) install CD and you buy a new PC with Vista on it, make sure you get those recovery CDs, because you might like you might not. I won't move to Vista until there is a service pack out, which shouldn't be too long... LOL!

It's all a matter of opinion. I'm more of an XP person, because it's been out so long, it's just finally a nice operating system. Few BSODs(blue screens of death) but they are there, and well, it can still play those old MS-DOS games!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:51 AM

136 posts, read 549,107 times
512 mb is the magic number because most programs these days require you to have at least this amount in order to run software or programs on them. FYI you can't upgrade the operating system from like windows 2000 to windows xp without having at least 512 mb.

I would not order a laptop off of ebay because they can tell you the laptop will have this and that but who is to say that it will have what they say when it arrives. For a example, it may say all plugs, adapters, and cords included. Sure it may come with all of these things but they may be generic, universal, or from another laptop but works with the one you bought. Also, you run the risk of buying a laptop that arrives in worse shape then what you thought. Me when I buy something second hand I like all of the original parts and manuals. There is no telling what you may get you very well could luck out and get a good deal. Be weary of anything that you may purchase on the internet!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:11 AM

67,081 posts, read 16,511,476 times
I have a refurbished Averatec laptop.
I think it is just like buying a used car. It can be a good one
I keep it at the office. No problem with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers