Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,904 times

Advertisements

I bought 2 flash drives. A SanDisk 4 GB and an 8 GB. I have over 4,000 pics I have uploaded from my digital camera to my Canon Program. The sales guy said I could fit about 5,000 pics on the 4GB and 10,000 on the 8 GB. Well so far I have used up the 4 GB and the 8 GB and have only uploaded less than half on those two flash drives. There are lots of short videos I have mixed in with the pics too. Could this be why less than half of my pics filled up those two flash drives?
The way I am going I will need like 3 or more 8 GB Flash Drives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Are you talking about a flash memory card that goes inside the camera or a flash drive that connects to the computer? A flash drive has a USB connector and plugs into a computer but it sounds like you're describing a memory card. I'm not sure why you'd be putting so many pictures on a flash drive.

Anyway, the device has a storage capacity measured in bytes. How many pictures you can store on it depends on how many bytes each picture consumes. For example, I have a 12 megapixel camera and it can save each picture as a large, medium, or small jpeg using either low or high compression. It can also save each picture as a raw (uncompressed and unprocessed) file that consumes a lot of space. So depending on how I configure it, my 4GB memory card can hold anywhere from 250 pictures to thousands of pictures. Video clips use a ton of storage space and can fill up a card pretty quickly.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,305,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Are you talking about a flash memory card that goes inside the camera or a flash drive that connects to the computer? A flash drive has a USB connector and plugs into a computer but it sounds like you're describing a memory card. I'm not sure why you'd be putting so many pictures on a flash drive.

Anyway, the device has a storage capacity measured in bytes. How many pictures you can store on it depends on how many bytes each picture consumes. For example, I have a 12 megapixel camera and it can save each picture as a large, medium, or small jpeg using either low or high compression. It can also save each picture as a raw (uncompressed and unprocessed) file that consumes a lot of space. So depending on how I configure it, my 4GB memory card can hold anywhere from 250 pictures to thousands of pictures. Video clips use a ton of storage space and can fill up a card pretty quickly.

is the configuring something done in the camera ? i have a 4 meg camera for now and a 1gig card.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Flash drives, as you have found out, are poor choices for backing up large amaounts of data, a better option would be an external hard drive. Anyone that tells you that you can fit X amount of photos in X amount of space has no clue what they're talking about. Digital picture file siza can vary greatly depending on your camera and it's settings, EscapeCalifornia explained that for you.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Did you make any folders on the flash drives? We had an earlier discussion about flash drives and some of them need folders to be able to hold really large numbers of files.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
is the configuring something done in the camera ? i have a 4 meg camera for now and a 1gig card.
Yes, its in the camera's menus. If you have pressing need to capture more pictures on a memory card, you can tell the camera to take smaller pictures (less pixels) and/or compress them more, reducing quality. But as cheap as flash memory is, just leave it set to the highest quality and buy more storage. 8GB SD cards are like $15.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, its in the camera's menus. If you have pressing need to capture more pictures on a memory card, you can tell the camera to take smaller pictures (less pixels) and/or compress them more, reducing quality. But as cheap as flash memory is, just leave it set to the highest quality and buy more storage. 8GB SD cards are like $15.

yeah, i was just wondering what it was. i have way more room on my 1 gig card then i need anyway. i always remove the pictures shortly after i take them anyway. when we went to the state fair to see brooks & dunn with zz top i took over 300 pictures. so i would say i have more than enough room. i'm thinking about a 10 meg camera so i should get a bigger card with more meg right ?

Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
yeah, i was just wondering what it was. i have way more room on my 1 gig card then i need anyway. i always remove the pictures shortly after i take them anyway. when we went to the state fair to see brooks & dunn with zz top i took over 300 pictures. so i would say i have more than enough room. i'm thinking about a 10 meg camera so i should get a bigger card with more meg right ?
Yeah a camera with more pixels will create larger files. My 12MP camera creates jpeg files that are around 4MB each.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 AM

Wink thanks everyone for helping me answer all my questions

Quote:
Yeah a camera with more pixels will create larger files. My 12MP camera creates jpeg files that are around 4MB each.

so when i up grade to a 10 mega pixel camera what would be the right size for that camera ? sorry for all the dumb questions but it's the only way i can find anything out.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
OP:

To determine how much space you need for your pictures and video right click the folder that holds them and click on Properties in the menu. This will tell you how many files there are in the folder and how much space they take up. Do this for each folder and you will know how big your storage device needs to be.

You can buy very large flash drives now for a decent price. There is nothing wrong with storing your pictures on them, just don't make it the only place they are stored.

Newegg.com - 16GB, USB Flash Drives, Flash Memory & Readers

Newegg.com - 32GB, USB Flash Drives, Flash Memory & Readers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers