Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Not 'quite' true - Physical Address Extension (PAE) will allow you to utilize more than that barrier. Although I don't think XP will. But the Enterprise editions of Windows server (and up) and various *NIX systems support that. THus allow those 32-bit systems to utilize up to 64GB of memory.

HOWEVER, that just allows you to load more apps... but most apps written for 32-bit systems won't see past the 4GB total barrier. Meaning that if even if you have an OS that can use PAE, the applications on it most likely wont' see more than 2GB (as its assuming the other 2GB is used by the Kernel).
I just read this article: Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

How can a 32 bit OS see the memory beyond 4GB? Does PAE use a memory page frame/swapping system similar to the old Expanded Memory (EMS) to bring memory pages into a region than can be addressed with only 32 bits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:30 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,232 times
Should I make a boot dvd and how do I go about it?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
(2). When I shut my computer down (correctly), sometimes, and only sometimes it will beep and flash a red LED and won't start up. I can get it started if I pull the power plug from the rear of the computer completely out and wait about 10-15 seconds, replug, and then it turns on. Whats the problem and how can I avoid this situation?

Thanks for any help.
How many times does it beep and flash? It will do it a certain number of times, then pause, and then repeat.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
How many times does it beep and flash? It will do it a certain number of times, then pause, and then repeat.
Yes, this is exactly what it does...Why is that? I never really waited it out, just unplugged, waited a bit, and replugged & started.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Yes, this is exactly what it does...Why is that? I never really waited it out, just unplugged, waited a bit, and replugged & started.
Like I said, how many times does it flash and beep? It's a code that tells you what the problem is. If you tell me the number I can tell you the error code.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll shut it down, count, and get back to you ASAP. Can you maybe advise me how to reformat if I install xp pro 64 bit??

Old 11-19-2008, 05:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
To verify what you have -- 32 bit or 64 bit -- you can use this little program. The very front part of it will say on my computer, "Windows XP 32-bit."

Use the create report part of it and then scroll to installed drivers, you can see if they are 32 or 64.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I just read this article: Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems

How can a 32 bit OS see the memory beyond 4GB? Does PAE use a memory page frame/swapping system similar to the old Expanded Memory (EMS) to bring memory pages into a region than can be addressed with only 32 bits?
There are two methods - This would probably explain it better than I ever can - not a computer architect..... Operating Systems and PAE Support

Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Like I said, how many times does it flash and beep? It's a code that tells you what the problem is. If you tell me the number I can tell you the error code.
It didn't do it yesterday or this morning. I'll be shutting down later to run some errands and maybe when I return it will start that beep again. Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers