U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Yeah, I just checked too. Oh well. At least we got a good sticky thread out of it.

I found some really good prices at buyextras.com a couple of years ago. I had to return something that did now work for me and had a good experience with that too.
Yeah, I think the info here is more important than the start date of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 PM

28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
I forgot about these. Can find some really good deals!

Computer deals - Find the best deals on Computer at dealmac.com

Computers - FatWallet.Com will save you money! - Shopping Comparison

Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 AM

40,255 posts, read 41,823,633 times
While on the subject... who not to purchase from...

You need to be very careful when you come across that deal that seems to good to be true. They may very well be very "legitimate" companies but their business practices in some cases are borderline criminal. I'll outline two very common but legal scams.

The first one I've come across myself while shopping online, what they'll do is offer large ticket items that typically come as package deals like expensive DSLR cameras and video camcorders but at a really low price. However what they are offering is just the body of the camera or camcorder. No battery, no strap, no lense or any of the other things you would typically expect when buying a camera retail. Legitimate retailers also offer this but it will be clearly marked as body only whereas the scammer company will have it fine print. They do the same thing with computer equipment, offering OEM versions but you'll only find that out if you look in the fine print.

The second scam is the old bait and switch and offer something at a very low price that they know they will never deliver on. Once they have your money they'll give you the run around and since most people are still gullible enough they'll let it drag out. Fianlly they'll offer to return your money but will offer an "upgrade" to a different product that is typically priced above what it should be.

Buyer beware... as the old saying goes if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,765 times
I don't have much idea but i could suggest you a website(reviews.digitaltrends.com/category/13/desktop-pcs-reviews) which could help you

Old 05-25-2009, 12:03 AM

215 posts, read 538,802 times
TigerDirect is horrible. Their now bought out, at least the store in my area is, thank god. CompUSA bought the store in my area =).

I HIGHLY suggest NewEgg for all online orders. I've ordered probably over $10,000 worth of stuff from them and their 3 day guanarteed shipping service has always ended up with me getting my stuff in the first 2 days of the 3 day shipping. Very good support to.

Just stay away from some of their reviews. A lot of asshats will rate good items poorly just b/c they know nothing of how to get that item to work. Always ask on a forum for that type of item first to get a real review on it.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:45 AM

11,497 posts, read 21,900,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
TigerDirect is horrible. Their now bought out, at least the store in my area is, thank god. CompUSA bought the store in my area =)..
Comp USA went out of business.
Tigerdirect bought them out.

Google. You'll see

Tiger is fine to order from.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:03 PM

654 posts, read 3,134,878 times
I've placed my orders from Newegg....reliable and never had any problems with them. For all of my computer builds, its where I get my parts from. If I needed something right away I would go to Fry's here locally.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 PM

898 posts, read 1,239,323 times
A lot of Schools and towns buy in bulk from Dell, and they don't seem to have many problems, so I'd give a plug for Dell. If you want to customize, build your own, than either Tigerdirect.com or Newegg.com

Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 AM

3,926 posts, read 10,413,780 times
I cannot believe my favorite isn't mentioned (I'm negative on Tigerdirect also). It's Fryes (formerly known as Outpost). I haven't used them in a couple of years though, and it appears they are now carrying lower end products. Oh well, at least it's another resource for research.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:56 PM

11,497 posts, read 21,900,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I cannot believe my favorite isn't mentioned (I'm negative on Tigerdirect also). It's Fryes (formerly known as Outpost). I haven't used them in a couple of years though, and it appears they are now carrying lower end products. Oh well, at least it's another resource for research.
I've found Fry's to be more expensive for most things..

If anyone is considering ordering from zipzoomfly, I hear they are going down the drain..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or