U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 05:05 AM

28,400 posts, read 48,163,871 times

Advertisements

Hi, I want to replace my 2002 desktop computer with a more up to date model. What site on the internet would buy a computer from?

Thanks, John.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 06:32 AM

525 posts, read 2,169,176 times
Tiger Direct dot com. We run a computer business and get everything there. Nothing beats it I PROMISE.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:51 AM

405 posts, read 1,154,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Tiger Direct dot com. We run a computer business and get everything there. Nothing beats it I PROMISE.
I would personally stay away from TigerDirect. I have ordered from them twice and had nothing but trouble.

Try looking on edealinfo.com - they post the best deals everyday. They instruct you how to get the best price from companies like Dell. I purchased my last two Dell systems after seeing the sales on eDeal.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,425,135 times
Quote:
Before doing that, search on "tiger direct rebate problem" or "tiger direct rebate scam" on google. Yes they have some deals, but be wary of any carrying a rebate.

As for me, I advise all of my non-technical friends and relatives to use Dell. Their machines are built fairly well, and their tech support is decent by comparison. Before purchasing search google for "Dell coupon". Sometimes you can get some EXCELLENT deals with coupons.

...and for you JSN, have you tried newegg.com, chiefvalue.com, or zipzoomfly.com? You can even pick up some deals using pricewatch.com as a search engine. I mostly get my parts through newegg.com and on occasion through zipzoomfly.

-TT

Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM

525 posts, read 2,169,176 times
Thanks yap I will check it out. We have never had any problems for several years with Tiger, though we do not use rebates or any thing like them. We have had MAJOR problems with Dell over the years, and will never ever ever use them again, nor will any of our clients if we can help it!

Frankly, Bill Gates, Microsoft, and PCs are really more problems than solutions, but they are the way of most people's and business's worlds so.........

Old 02-23-2007, 09:32 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,425,135 times
Quote:
Thanks yap I will check it out. We have never had any problems for several years with Tiger, though we do not use rebates or any thing like them. We have had MAJOR problems with Dell over the years, and will never ever ever use them again, nor will any of our clients if we can help it!

Frankly, Bill Gates, Microsoft, and PCs are really more problems than solutions, but they are the way of most people's and business's worlds so.........
I guess it depends on how you deal with Dell. If you have a larger corp account with 10,000 of their machines in the company they treat you pretty well Although, I have not had any complaints from friends or relatives. They are always able to get what they need when they call Dell support. I know this because they don't have to call ME now, lol. This is why I love Dell. They returned peace and quiet to my evenings

Just in case, if you're looking for a real "whoop-dee-doo" gaming machine, you might try Alienware.com
Expensive, but for an off the rack PC they're a force to be reckoned with. This is what I consider to be a "high-end" pc.

Here are some places/names I would avoid.....

-TigerDirect (but as we see experiences are mixed)

-Hewlett Packard/Compaq machines. - LOW quality control, and they're not always designed well. They have some great machines, and some VERY bad ones. It's a crap shoot if you don't know what to look for. Although, if you're looking for a laptop, they make some EXCELLENT business grade stuff.

-eMachines - You get what you pay for. This company ALWAYS uses bottom-end parts in their machines. A warranty does not retrieve lost data.

-Gateway - Their support is horrible, and their machines are flaky. They might have changed in the last couple of years, but I remember them as always having something oddly proprietary inside the box. Avoid.

-Local computer stores. They generally load the machines with very low end parts, including refurbished, and you can't be sure they'll be around to honor the warranty they offer. If you can get an honest to goodness referral it might not be a bad idea, but as I said, they may not be around to honor the warranty.

-TT

Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Id definately reccomend TigerDirect.com . Ive used them for personal and business for about five years now. My first experience with them was this, i bought ALOT of pc stuff and cost alot cheaper than their rival companies. I had 350$ worth of rebates that i FORGOT to apply for. And six months later i got a letter from the CEO stating i forgot to do it, but heres your check. IMO you cant beat service like that.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,495 times
Default re Online orders

TekFreek and others, what are the names of the places you like to buy from? I can't think of them to save my life.

New people might be interested, too. This time around, I'm going to bookmark them.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:56 AM

40,255 posts, read 41,823,633 times
newegg.com gets my computer business.

bhphotovideo.com gets all my camera/video/general AV business.

B&H is an absolutely outstanding company, they were brick and mortar and huge before the internet. I ordered a product from them once with three day shipping and it was here the next day. Granted they are only 2.5 hours from me and there is a major UPS a few miles from my house it was still pretty cool.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
I usually look at:

Tigerdirect.com
newegg.com
cdw.com
CompUSA.com
OfficeMax.com
Staples.com

I usually (almost always) buy from Tiger Direct or New Egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or