Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM

115 posts, read 366,371 times

Advertisements

I currently use Irfan View to manage my digital photos and recently I emailed some to a local photo store for some hard copies and a message came back and said that they were sized wrong for 4x6 photos and would end up with borders. I resized them three different times and each time I received the same message. Does anyone know what size in Irfan View equals a 4x6 photo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
When you do a "CTRL-R" [resize] command, you should see three options to set new size:
1. use pixels
2. use cm
3. use inches
Is this what you've used?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM

Yes,

I've used both the pixel and size choice and have failed miserably!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

Whether I select Pixels or inches I get the same response. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Old 12-15-2008, 01:22 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
I wonder if you could discuss w/ the local photo store to review what exactly they are doing too... maybe its something on their end also. However, not knowing exactly all the details, version of IrfanView, etc. can't offer much more help, sorry... however, maybe something w/in the following could shake some assistance for ya?
Best way to resize digital pictures to print 3x3? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PS: I've also sent you a DM just now too...

Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
What they are telling you is the aspect is wrong. For example if your image is has a 600px width and 400px height it has a 6:4 aspect. Since the print medium is 6:4 it will fit perfectly.

What your issue is consumer digital cameras create 4:3 images. As an example if your images are 650px wide and 400px high they have an aspect of 6.5:4 . If you resize the image to 600px wide and 400px high you'll have the correct aspect for the print paper HOWEVER the image is now going to be skewed. e.g balls will take on a slight egg shape. That's why they won't print it as you have sent it to them, they are actually doing you a favor because most places will either skew the image or crop it. Cropping manually introduces issues you might be cropping off heads etc.

To get the right aspect you need to crop it yourself. Irfanview unfortunately does not do this in batch mode except by coordinates but you can do it with a single image by ratio. Open the image, then click edit>create custom crop selection . Choose 3:2 which is the same as 6:4.

Hit ctrl and drag the selection box so at least one side goes fully across the image. You can move the selection box by right clicking it however make sure you do not reposition it outside the image. Then click edit>crop selection. Save the file using "save as" to crete new file and send to printer.

You can do this in batch mode if you know what the amount of pixels you need to crop are. You can base it on the image you just created. For example if you're resultant image is 600px by 400px and the original is 650px by 400px set the coordinte to cropp 25 px off the top and 25px off the bottom.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM

Shadow, Thanks for the help, but it still won't let me in.

Coal Man, Thank you for that info. You hit the nail on the head. I'll give it a try!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers