Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 PM

76 posts, read 263,073 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I don't think I have a Windows XP disk. I have a box that has the software that came with my laptop and the only CD in there is a recovery DVD. I'll keep looking around for one, though.

I tried unchecking everything but TCP/IP to no avail...

Norton's is completely off my computer and I couldn't re-install if I tried because I can't connect to the Internet.

I think I'm going to start offering a reward to the person who is able to solve the mystery!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Well I did something and now I can't connect at all - it won't get past the "Acquiring Network Address" stage when trying to connect. When I do repair, it can't renew the IP address - any ideas how to fix that?

Old 01-04-2009, 05:45 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieBJones View Post
Unfortunately I don't think I have a Windows XP disk. I have a box that has the software that came with my laptop and the only CD in there is a recovery DVD. I'll keep looking around for one, though.

I tried unchecking everything but TCP/IP to no avail...

Norton's is completely off my computer and I couldn't re-install if I tried because I can't connect to the Internet.

I think I'm going to start offering a reward to the person who is able to solve the mystery!
What about the ethernet test?

Old 01-04-2009, 07:22 PM

What do I have to do for that?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Go to the router.. and plug in a Cat5/ethernet cable (looks like a bigger phone jack) from 1 of the usually 4 ports directly into your laptop and see if it is online fine/surfs fine.. and doesn't resemble the problems you've been getting if you need a diagram on what to do I'll find you one online..

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM

Hm, no go on that either...the same thing, it gets to where it tries to acquire the IP address and stalls.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM

If you tried ethernet.. and it didn't work.. your diagnosis is clearly software

A over-install of windows xp is what I'd suggest if you can't borrow a copy from your neighbor you should either download a copy (technically not illegal if you own that license as it's backup media) or call the manufacturer and see if they can you get a cd.. the over-install has a 50/50 chance of fixing your problem.. pending that you should look at a system restore/format..

Old 01-05-2009, 02:38 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Go to the router.. and plug in a Cat5/ethernet cable (looks like a bigger phone jack) from 1 of the usually 4 ports directly into your laptop and see if it is online fine/surfs fine.. and doesn't resemble the problems you've been getting if you need a diagram on what to do I'll find you one online..
Wow, this was first suggested in post #4 on December 14th. A lot of time and effort was wasted because the OP didn't try this and report back then. A lesson learned about thorough reading and testing when trouble shooting...

Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Go to Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware tab/Device Manager and find the NIC card. It will be under Network Adapters and be a description of the card followed by Ethernet NIC.

Check the properties if necessary and get the brand, model number, etc. Go to one of the other computers and download the drivers from the manufacturers website that match the NIC and your operating system, to a flash drive.

Pay attention during this process to two things:

1. Where is it downloading on the flash drive, and

2. Does it need to be unzipped before you can use it?

Note: Sometimes you will be told to run the file you downloaded insted of pointing the wizard at it so you want to read the description of how to use it on the download site before continuing.

Go back to the spot in Device Manager as described above, right-click the Ethernet NIC, and uninstall.

Exit All Dialog Boxes, programs, etc. and reboot.

Note: If the manufacturers website says to skip the Wizard and run the program from the download you just made cancel the wizard and run it as instructed. If not, then -

When Windows starts you should get a New Hardware Wizard Dialog Box. When the New Hardware Wizard asks for drivers point to the flash drive location where you saved the download.

This will only reinstall the NIC card, not the wireless. You can run the same process on the wireless, but reinstalling and testing the NIC is a simpler process and is a good place to practice the procedure.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wow, this was first suggested in post #4 on December 14th. A lot of time and effort was wasted because the OP didn't try this and report back then. A lesson learned about thorough reading and testing when trouble shooting...

My apologies, with so many suggestions (not just from you guys) I honestly just overlooked it - or maybe didn't quite understand what you meant. Either way, it didn't work, and we've pretty much deduced it's been a software program all along.

I do appreciate all your efforts to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers