Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu View Post
I have to say that I loathe it... My old laptop was 7 years old and on its last legs, so I had to get something... and this was it...

It came with a huge amount of annoying software that I had to waste time trying to track down where the programs were to disable them. Who's genius idea was it to put the face recognition software there for logins? It's a laptop... you travel with it... is the ambient light and angle of the screen the same in an airport lounge as in my livingroom?
Blame the OEM, not Microsoft or Vista. This is why I build my own desktops and reformat new laptops. That's the only way to get a clean system that works right.

Quote:
I printed something to file last week and I STILL can't find where Vista's logic thought it should go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I just downloaded the beta and am running it in Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 which normally isn't the quickest VM software but its running pretty well with only 1GB of memory allocated to it. The GUI seems a lot snappier. I can't wait to install it on a real computer so I can check out the new Aero enhancements.

Do you know if BlackBerry desktop will run and sync on Windows 7? I'd like to install it on my wife's computer but that's the only app I'm concerned about not working since she really only uses Office, Firefox, Blackberry, and Quicken.

What do you think of the new taskbar?
No idea on the blackberry, my phone is Windows Mobile.

I like the taskbar so far, granted I haven't given it alot of attention.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
I have to say that I loathe it... My old laptop was 7 years old and on its last legs, so I had to get something... and this was it...

It came with a huge amount of annoying software that I had to waste time trying to track down where the programs were to disable them. Who's genius idea was it to put the face recognition software there for logins? It's a laptop... you travel with it... is the ambient light and angle of the screen the same in an airport lounge as in my livingroom?
I agree with the earlier post. Why are you placing blame on MS and Vista for the crap the the seller put on your PC? Do you honestly think all that stuff was part of Vista?

Quote:
I printed something to file last week and I STILL can't find where Vista's logic thought it should go...
The word of the day: responsibility. It is YOUR responsibility to keep track of where a file is saved. How on Earth could you ever blame software for losing a file? I'll not go into understanding defaults and Option menus.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I agree with the earlier post. Why are you placing blame on MS and Vista for the crap the the seller put on your PC? Do you honestly think all that stuff was part of Vista?
I would have to guess the majority of issues are not caused by Vista, but by inadequate hardware or the bloatware installed by OEM's. One of my customers bought this tiny little Sony laptop against my recommendations, had like a 1.3 Centrino and 1GB ram. Even after wiping it and loading Vista clean it still ran like crap, the hardware just wasn't up to the ask.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,777 times
Tek_Freek - yep, I would love to track that down... any clues how? If I print to file - it disappears... any of the advanced settings and defaults and stuff will let me change how the file looks when printed... but there was nowhere in the print settings that let me choose the print to file location.
I'm not proud... if you know where they're hidden, I'll go look... not even using the search function could find them...
Did you get them, by chance??? They're not on my computer!!!
Thanks!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 AM

Depending on the program you're using, you might be asked to choose where to save the file or to create a file name. Otherwise, the portable print file will typically be saved in your Documents folder.

Print to file - Windows Vista Help

Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,777 times
nope... I checked there... and my desktop and everywhere else I could think of.. I had opened an Adobe pdf document, tried to print a couple frames as a file... - as I said...even performing the search and didn't find the file. Thanks... I know it's silly, but it should not be this difficult!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Quote:
Tek_Freek - yep, I would love to track that down... any clues how? If I print to file - it disappears... any of the advanced settings and defaults and stuff will let me change how the file looks when printed... but there was nowhere in the print settings that let me choose the print to file location.
I'm not proud... if you know where they're hidden, I'll go look... not even using the search function could find them...
Did you get them, by chance??? They're not on my computer!!!
Thanks!!!
First, check your "My Documents" folder. I always change the default folder, but I think that's what Vista uses.

I loathe the new "Search" in Vista. But, when you go to the search function, make sure that it's searching your entire drive, not just some arbitrary folder. If you select the "Start" button, there is a search section at the bottom of the list. Make sure you also select "Search Everywhere."

Old 01-10-2009, 01:03 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,380 times
WELL 7 in its beta is excellent im suprised microsoft was capable of making an OS worth using right off the bat! hmmm... could they actually be listening to customers for once?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Once again it's not Vista, it's Adobe Reader. The program is saving the file, not Vista. I can't tell you offhand where it would save the print file and I don't have time to research it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers