Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times

Advertisements

My 6 month old new Emachine freaking crashed ( it previously had to be sent in at my expense to get the modem & drivers repaired) & they had my do a destructive restore,which of course wiped it out,then charged my to send me a restore CD. I spent about 2-3 hrs w/ at least 4 people from India who could NOT understand the situation,couldm't understand ME,or simply babbled on about stuff the OTHER techs already had me do,asked me,etc.

When I put the restore CD in & restart,nothing happens. They had me reinstall XP ,but still no drivers/modem are recognized in the hardware manager,etc. I demanded to speak w/ someone who spoke/understood my language but was on hold for 45 minutes. If anyone knows a solution to my problem,or can point me in the right direction,it would be appriciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:25 PM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
Ok, so you have XP installed, correct? All you need to do now is install the drivers for it. Often not all devices are recognized by XP. Insert the drivers CD that you should have then start installing. Or you can go to the emachines website and download them. If you can give me the make/model I can point you to a link for it.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Ok, so you have XP installed, correct? All you need to do now is install the drivers for it. Often not all devices are recognized by XP. Insert the drivers CD that you should have then start installing. Or you can go to the emachines website and download them. If you can give me the make/model I can point you to a link for it.
OK the 1st tech dude (the day it crashed) sent me to the library to download these drivers onto CD,install them,didn't work. That's when they sent me the Restore DVD which is supposed to reinstall the drivers & OS programs. When I insert the CD & restart like it instructs,nothing happens,except the same screen that flashes up quickly EVERY time it restarts,something about restore press "R", etc. but it goes really fast. The restores have me at the same point.
The techies did NOT understand that ,I think my head nearly expolded w/ tech #4. No clue how to get anything off this DVD,or what it's supposed to DO!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:24 AM

Insert the DVD and reboot. When the machine starts you should see something at the top right of the screen that says F2 for setup, F10 for boot menu. You want to hit F10. When that screen appears select CD/DVD. That should allow it to go into the setup. Sometimes it can take a few times to get your timing right, so don't get too frustrated, ok?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Insert the DVD and reboot. When the machine starts you should see something at the top right of the screen that says F2 for setup, F10 for boot menu. You want to hit F10. When that screen appears select CD/DVD. That should allow it to go into the setup. Sometimes it can take a few times to get your timing right, so don't get too frustrated, ok?
OK did that. Stillno modem or drivers listed.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 AM

No modem drivers or no drivers for any of the devices?

What is the make/model of that eMachine? Sometimes there are multiple modem drivers available.

Do this. Right click on My Computer then go to Properties. Click the hardware tab then Device Manager. What items are yellowed out? They should all be in one area.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 AM

It is a CGM84I0001574. Nothing is in yellow in device man. I can see. And the "find modem" isn't producing it either. Neither did installin a new Vista.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM

If you double click on the modem icon, what appears? Anything?

What model? It should be like C8415, etc.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM

As I said before,there IS no modem recognized.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:00 PM

My bad. I mean what model number computer? Desktop? Laptop? Unlike some places eMachines doesn't allow you to look up info by the serial number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers