U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-25-2008, 06:56 AM
 
820 posts, read 3,381,703 times
Reputation: 921

Advertisements

I forgot my Macbook username and password. I know, I should have written it down. I think I did but we moved very shortly after I purchased my macbook and I misplaced the paper on which I wrote it down.
Is there a way to retrieve this information? Or do I have to go to an Apple store and have them reconfigure it for me? I can't run the programs I want to (just received an Ipod Touch for xmas) and it's frustrating.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2008, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
7,503 posts, read 14,627,148 times
Reputation: 4704
You need to use the system disk (OSX install disk) that came with your MacBook. If for some reason you lost that as well, then you would have to take it to an Apple Store, but of course they are going to need to know certain information regarding the purchase and your account.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 09:31 AM
 
Location: property tax hell
2,012 posts, read 3,993,730 times
Reputation: 1586
you can use the OS X install CD, there's a utility to change your password. Another option is to just boot into single user mode:

reboot the machine and hold Apple+S enter single user mode.
When you get the # prompt, type in:

#sh /etc/rc
#passwd <username>

#reboot

Keep in mind the 2nd option will not change your keychain password... this means you'll lose all your keychain passwords if you can't remember the original.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
7,503 posts, read 14,627,148 times
Reputation: 4704
Eh, I guess that I am assuming that it is stolen. Of course there are ways around this 'problem'.

Merry Christmas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 10:11 AM
 
820 posts, read 3,381,703 times
Reputation: 921
It's not stolen. I bought it at the Apple store in November 2007. We moved in December 2007 across country and I misplaced where I put the slip of paper where I wrote down my information. Since my husband and I have always shared a PC for over 10 years, I really wanted this macbook for myself, and therefore put in a password only 'I' would know. Of course this backfired on me b/c I put in a password that was a little too unique and something I easily forgot. All in the name of independence!
I will try what everyone has suggested. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 11:01 AM
 
820 posts, read 3,381,703 times
Reputation: 921
I tried what posters suggested, and even installed my Mac OS X install Disc 1 and I still can't understand how to change my password. Guess I'll have to take it back to the store and have an employee help me figure it out.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
7,503 posts, read 14,627,148 times
Reputation: 4704
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
It's not stolen. I bought it at the Apple store in November 2007. We moved in December 2007 across country and I misplaced where I put the slip of paper where I wrote down my information. Since my husband and I have always shared a PC for over 10 years, I really wanted this macbook for myself, and therefore put in a password only 'I' would know. Of course this backfired on me b/c I put in a password that was a little too unique and something I easily forgot. All in the name of independence!
I will try what everyone has suggested. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I tried what posters suggested, and even installed my Mac OS X install Disc 1 and I still can't understand how to change my password. Guess I'll have to take it back to the store and have an employee help me figure it out.
Ok. But you wouldn't believe how many times "I forgot my MacBook (or other brand) password" appears on various forums around this time of the year. Then again, if this MacBook is stolen the only way that it can be tracked down is if you use it. So....

Here is what you do.

1) Insert the OSX install disc that came with the MacBook.

2) Re-start the MacBook and when you hear the chime sound hold down the 'C' key.

3) Choose the proper language and hit continue.

4) Now you will be at the installer. Choose Utilities and then Reset Password.


However, if your password was saved to the firmware than there is nothing that you can do.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 02:03 PM
 
820 posts, read 3,381,703 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Ok. But you wouldn't believe how many times "I forgot my MacBook (or other brand) password" appears on various forums around this time of the year. Then again, if this MacBook is stolen the only way that it can be tracked down is if you use it. So....

Here is what you do.

1) Insert the OSX install disc that came with the MacBook.

2) Re-start the MacBook and when you hear the chime sound hold down the 'C' key.

3) Choose the proper language and hit continue.

4) Now you will be at the installer. Choose Utilities and then Reset Password.


However, if your password was saved to the firmware than there is nothing that you can do.
YOU ARE A GENIUS and such a HUGE help!!!! Your directions worked!!!!
I just installed "Office:mac 2008", a program my husband bought for me back in April. I couldn't install it back then because I forgot my password and didn't know how to retrieve it. Later today I'm going to play with my iPodtouch and download music. He's been getting after me for the last half year b/c I've been too lazy to go into the Apple Store to ask for assistance. I think he bought me the iPod touch to light a fire under me! And it worked, thanks to YOU!
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 07:09 PM
 
1 posts, read 156,623 times
Reputation: 24
im trying to do it also
but it asks me to put a password
and how am i supposed to do that if i forgot it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 148,583 times
Reputation: 42
you can search Password Genius from Google
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top