U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Um...do a lot of people purchase gaming cards for "video processing, internet, or regular office-type programs"?
People will purchase anything someone tells them to, even if they have no clue what it is, even if they need it or not, never underestimate or assume in the PC business, or when answering questions. It would not surprise me at all for someone to think the "FPS" of their desktop should increase by twice what a card with half the memory did, my questions were to clarify what the OP was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
I got a new video card -- my old card had 1/2 gig of DDR2 -- the new one has 1 gig of DDR3. However, I don't see a difference in performance. The new card, a Visiontek 4670, is quieter than the old card, a Visiontek 2600XT, and I believe the new card uses less energy, but I don't really see a gain in FPS.
What are your computer specs?
Putting a new vid card in a computer that can't handle the technology is worthless.

There are many upgrading articles online.
Maximum PC just did an upgrade story in the last 6 months. If you'd like to know which issue, let me know I have it in the other room.
It explains why they upgraded what they did in 3 systems and why throwing a card in like the one you purchased wouldn't do anything in the computer they were upgrading.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:43 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,523,957 times
BF2 is not the symbol of modern graphics capabilities. Testing a brand new card on a 3-4 year old game you will not see benefits. There are several programs out there that will do the tests, and give you real good results instead of eyeballing results. I do not know ATI cards all that well, but the two cards are not that different from each other from what I have looked at in my 30 second search. I would suggest using programs like 3dmark vantage to gage what you are gaining.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 AM

956 posts, read 2,725,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I do not know ATI cards all that well, but the two cards are not that different from each other from what I have looked at in my 30 second search.
You've done a better job searching than I have. I've been trying to find a comparison between the two cards, but could not find anything. I was under the belief that the newer card used a very different architecture than the older one, which is why the heat sinks are a lot smaller on the newer card.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
People will purchase anything someone tells them to, even if they have no clue what it is, even if they need it or not, never underestimate or assume in the PC business, or when answering questions. It would not surprise me at all for someone to think the "FPS" of their desktop should increase by twice what a card with half the memory did, my questions were to clarify what the OP was talking about.
Okay -- sorry -- my mistake. You're right, nothing can be assumed I suppose.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
You've done a better job searching than I have. I've been trying to find a comparison between the two cards, but could not find anything. I was under the belief that the newer card used a very different architecture than the older one, which is why the heat sinks are a lot smaller on the newer card.
you can do a search on the amd website (they bought ATI a couple of years ago.)

Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
you can do a search on the amd website (they bought ATI a couple of years ago.)
I'm looking at the specs of both cards right now, and they seem very different to me. Different # of transistors, different fetch times, etc. Are you sure you compared the 2600 to the 4600 series?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:03 PM

When I get a chance I will take a peak again. There is also a website that will compare hardware against other hardware, I will look for the link for that as well. As I had said, I did a quick 60 second look at the two together at 2:00 am

Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
There is also a website that will compare hardware against other hardware, I will look for the link for that as well.
That was the first place I looked, but I couldn't find a comparison at the time between a 2600 XT and a 4670.

I think the bottleneck is in the OS or other hardware in the system. I am glad I upgraded, though, since the new card is quieter and I'm betting it consumes less energy when I'm not gaming.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
That was the first place I looked, but I couldn't find a comparison at the time between a 2600 XT and a 4670.

I think the bottleneck is in the OS or other hardware in the system. I am glad I upgraded, though, since the new card is quieter and I'm betting it consumes less energy when I'm not gaming.
have you tried running a game like crysis on the old card, and then the new one? or using 3dmark or any other analasys programs? BF2 is far from a modern game that would take use of the new tech. like DX10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers