U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,555,859 times

Advertisements

I am going insane here. On xmas day I lost all my emails from the past 3 years. I didn't delete them as all deleted emails would go to the delete folder, which would have to be purged first. I remember my purse brushing on the key board for a second or two and when I looked up everything from my inbox was gone...at least that's what I think happened.

The hosting company has only been able to restore one particular account, but only going back to October and I'm waiting to hear of the fate of the other accounts. All our business emails. My sent emails were not affected. Is there a way to find/restore these emails?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 07:00 AM

535 posts, read 1,573,969 times
If you click on View, does it show them as being hid? I have my stuff so only new emails are shown.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
If you click on View, does it show them as being hid? I have my stuff so only new emails are shown.
It was the 1st thing I did. It's set at "show all".

Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 AM

535 posts, read 1,573,969 times
Have you viewed the folder where OE stores the emails? Maybe a corrupt .dbx file? Look around for "Advanced Outlook Express Repair", maybe that might work.

I'd also consider using something like gmail, etc vs pop email. With pop it's downloaded to your computer, if your drive fails then you can lose it all. With an online service you're better protected.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 AM

40,184 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Well if they are absolutely important, stop performing any tasks on the computer as of right now. Data is never deleted until it's overwritten, continue to use the machine and it will inevitably get overwritten.

You'll need to remove the drive and hook it up to another computer so no data will be written to it anymore. This will preserve anything that might be left. Download and install this program to the second PC :

CONVAR & PCinspector Data Recovery Datenrettung recupero dati datarecovery récupération données

Turn the computer off and you'll have the drive up you want to recover file from.

Boot the computer and use that program to search the drive for deleted and partial files. I'll venture to guess you''l find a partial one, you only need to look for ones with a .dbx extension as they are what holds emails for Outlook Express..

If you get that far or need more istructions I'll try and help.

Again I'll warn you if they are that imporatant you should close all your programs and shut the computer off. do not use it again until after you have recovered the files using a seperate computer.

The likely success of recovering at least a partial file is very likely but the more you use the compouter those odds drop.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Have you viewed the folder where OE stores the emails? Maybe a corrupt .dbx file? Look around for "Advanced Outlook Express Repair", maybe that might work.

I'd also consider using something like gmail, etc vs pop email. With pop it's downloaded to your computer, if your drive fails then you can lose it all. With an online service you're better protected.
I hear you as of early this year I started having all my emails also sent to a yahoo acount. So a copy of everything that comes to my computer also goes to yahoo. I'm no computer whizz so .dbx files sounds like Russian to me . I'll have my computer guy look at it 1st thing in the morning.

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well if they are absolutely important, stop performing any tasks on the computer as of right now. Data is never deleted until it's overwritten, continue to use the machine and it will inevitably get overwritten.

You'll need to remove the drive and hook it up to another computer so no data will be written to it anymore. This will preserve anything that might be left. Download and install this program to the second PC :

CONVAR & PCinspector Data Recovery Datenrettung recupero dati datarecovery récupération données

Turn the computer off and you'll have the drive up you want to recover file from.

Boot the computer and use that program to search the drive for deleted and partial files. I'll venture to guess you''l find a partial one, you only need to look for ones with a .dbx extension as they are what holds emails for Outlook Express..

If you get that far or need more istructions I'll try and help.

Again I'll warn you if they are that imporatant you should close all your programs and shut the computer off. do not use it again until after you have recovered the files using a seperate computer.

The likely success of recovering at least a partial file is very likely but the more you use the compouter those odds drop.
Thank you coalman, I think I'll leave this to the experts. I'll take it to the guy who looks after my computers. I have a feeling they are somewhere.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM

I also found this on line.

Restore Outlook Express folder - tool for restore a Outlook Express folders. Recover Outlook folder, Outlook Express restore, restoring Outlook Express files
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or