U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Wanted to update everyone on this thread. Yesterday, I hardwired the laptop to the router and created a network using the Windows network wizard. It was fine this morning and it connected automatically. I turned the laptop off all day to see if it would connect tonight. It did, but knowing my luck it would be a glitch. Turned it off, had dinner and turned it back on again. I figured, hardwiring it to the router did the job, but since my call with Dell was already scheduled for tonight, might as well let them call. The tech, after all the questions, decided he was going to update the driver. At this point, I asked why none of the techs who were responding to my e-mail confirmed this when I pointedly asked. He said that until they checked everything else, they could not summarily suggest this. Of course, he was the only one who explained that downloading the update just effectively re-installs the driver and fixes any corruption in the existing driver! I could have understood that and downloaded it 3 days ago if they bothered to explain it. He seemed knowledgeable although I was a little concerned that he was able to remotely access the Linksys site and show my settings (including my pass key) during remote assistance. BTW, should I have to change my pass key now since he saw it? Or should I not worry about it at all?

So, for now, everything's working, at least for today. Tomorrow is another day. I sincerely thank everyone who provided the good suggestions here. I wanted Dell to do it since the laptop is still under warranty. I figure, if anyone were to mess it up, it's better them than me.

Thanks again all!
I'm glad to hear that this is probably resolved.
Some computers are funky when it comes to changing settings while others are fine. This is why I always suggest running the Windows networking wizard, pretty much to rule that part out. I also always suggest hard wiring it, either to the router or modem so that it gets the settings from it. I've found that hooking up a wireless network is easier when the hardware has already found each other wired.

IDK about the passkey, I would have changed it before he saw it, to something temporary, then would have changed it back after but we don't get these options all of the time. I think I'd change it for now just in case.

I don't blame you for wanting Dell to "fix" it. With all of the horror stories you hear, you're better off.

We have a home technology panel. It's basically where all of the TV, internet & phone cables meet in the basement. Since most techs aren't familiar with it and we don't have directions or a diagram, one of the techs tried to rig it to work when we moved in. We've been having TV & phone problems since. The electrician tech that comes out has been the same, he knows I build computers & know what I'm doing, he knows one kid works for DirecTV with the other working for Verizon, before that Comcast. Yes, I've had him here enough that we talked. Anyway, he came out yesterday to once again try to fix it, he mentioned, well I know you like to do this and that.. I said, no, had I touched it it wouldn't look like that, you're the only one that's touched it except for the companies we use. I wasn't letting him blame any of it on me.

Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,754,719 times
roselvr - I wish I had better news to report...I still am experiencing the same problem this morning despite the installation of the updated driver. I will reconnect directly to the router again tonight and if that doesn't work for 2 consecutive days, I'm at a loss. I don't know how to change the passkey though. I'm really frustrated now, as hubby is blaming me for everything (but that's a whole new different issue!)

Old 01-07-2009, 02:09 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Quote:
roselvr - I wish I had better news to report...I still am experiencing the same problem this morning despite the installation of the updated driver. I will reconnect directly to the router again tonight and if that doesn't work for 2 consecutive days, I'm at a loss. I don't know how to change the passkey though. I'm really frustrated now, as hubby is blaming me for everything (but that's a whole new different issue!)
k, well tell him it's no one’s fault and that blame doesn't solve problems..

You don't need to change the passkey if it's connecting at all meaning you've already got the right password in..

Here's a simple solution.. pickup another wireless card for you laptop (a pop in one pcmcia or Express Slot or usb if you have too) and see if that works properly with laptop.. this test will prove one of 2 things..

1. You have a software problem (means windows)
2. You have a hardware problem (means your internal card)

Old 01-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
k, well tell him it's no one’s fault and that blame doesn't solve problems..

You don't need to change the passkey if it's connecting at all meaning you've already got the right password in..

Here's a simple solution.. pickup another wireless card for you laptop (a pop in one pcmcia or Express Slot or usb if you have too) and see if that works properly with laptop.. this test will prove one of 2 things..

1. You have a software problem (means windows)
2. You have a hardware problem (means your internal card)
Thank you kindly sir! I wish I had my own router so I don't have to deal with him. This whole changeover to WPA from WEP was my idea to protet his laptop since he holds on to clients' financial info (SSN's, bank account #s, etc.) and now I'm the one screwed up and getting yelled at!

I have a spare Netgear USB adapter and a spare Belkin USB adapter so I was thinking of what you were suggesting (thought about it this morning) instead of buying one. I still have the installation CD's of both. How can I tell which one is having a problem (SW or HW)? In either case, it's still Dell's problem, isn't it? I only got this last June and is still very much under warranty.

Oh, and as far as checking the pass key, I asked because the Dell tech brought up my Linksys while on remote assist and while he was tabbing from page to page, brought up the setup with the full pass key displayed. Should I be worried that someone saw my pass key, and a tech at that?

Old 01-07-2009, 06:34 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
Consider this for what it's worth: I wouldn't worry about it. I just checked my router and yes, the passkey is not encrypted so if the tech tabbed past that page your passkey was compromised. We have our router set with a username and password that no one knows, even tech support has to have me key it in before they can access the rest of the router. You can do the same. Easily too. You can also change the passkey. Easily. Ours is a phone number that we don't use anymore. I would venture that 80% of the WPA passkeys out there are phone numbers. If you are not sure how to go about changing the user account information to access the router or to change the WPA passkey just ask. I'm sure others besides me know how to explain it to you.

H

Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Well...my hubby's laptop started acting out today and more of the blame game happened. He says his connection was fine before "I" messed up with settings. Dell sent me an e-mail today replying to mine this morning that whatever they did wasn't working. They said they will mail me an adapter. Do I just stick this into my laptop? I asked for more info on which one they would send. I imagine it is an external wireless adapter from Dell.

Much as I wish to change the passkey, I dare not at this time as that means I have to monkey around with the router and all PC's. Hubby and I already had a yelling match over this so at this point I really don't want to do anything anymore. If ever I am asked to change the passkey, I'll post again or send a DM on how to do that. If I remember correctly, he got the IP address of my machine from cmd using ipconfig and he compared that against the setting of the router. I just don't know how to bring up the settings screen again to check my connection. As I said, right now, I should let cooler heads prevail as this has really gotten under my skin, and now his. He is extremely dependent on his connection and being a total jerk about workarounds (he has a data port behind him so if his wireless card went bad, he could still connect) but I can't do anything about his frame of mind.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:47 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Quote:
Well...my hubby's laptop started acting out today and more of the blame game happened. He says his connection was fine before "I" messed up with settings. Dell sent me an e-mail today replying to mine this morning that whatever they did wasn't working. They said they will mail me an adapter. Do I just stick this into my laptop? I asked for more info on which one they would send. I imagine it is an external wireless adapter from Dell.

Much as I wish to change the passkey, I dare not at this time as that means I have to monkey around with the router and all PC's. Hubby and I already had a yelling match over this so at this point I really don't want to do anything anymore. If ever I am asked to change the passkey, I'll post again or send a DM on how to do that. If I remember correctly, he got the IP address of my machine from cmd using ipconfig and he compared that against the setting of the router. I just don't know how to bring up the settings screen again to check my connection. As I said, right now, I should let cooler heads prevail as this has really gotten under my skin, and now his. He is extremely dependent on his connection and being a total jerk about workarounds (he has a data port behind him so if his wireless card went bad, he could still connect) but I can't do anything about his frame of mind.
Either of these cards would prove fine.. the idea is this if the card doesn't work then the problem is more than likely = software.. if the card does work then the problem is more than likely onboard wireless card.. = hardware

If both you and husband are having continued problems maybe the best thing really to do (since then you’re saying it's more than one laptop) is to bring in a new router.. maybe you just have a really old model that doesn't do WPA that well..

It's actually possible to bring in a brand new router and set it up with your exact password and SSID (that's the broadcast name for the network) and not have to reconfigure a single client if *again* the settings for the name and password are kept identical..

But maybe, really the best thing to do is to hire someone local in your area that has great understanding of this stuff and let them fix your problems.. this way the blame is shifted to a nameless person you know as "the computer guy" and no I wouldn't recommend dell outsourced technicians for this or geeksquad.. need to find someone that speaks "geek" well..

Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Either of these cards would prove fine.. the idea is this if the card doesn't work then the problem is more than likely = software.. if the card does work then the problem is more than likely onboard wireless card.. = hardware

If both you and husband are having continued problems maybe the best thing really to do (since then you’re saying it's more than one laptop) is to bring in a new router.. maybe you just have a really old model that doesn't do WPA that well..

It's actually possible to bring in a brand new router and set it up with your exact password and SSID (that's the broadcast name for the network) and not have to reconfigure a single client if *again* the settings for the name and password are kept identical..

But maybe, really the best thing to do is to hire someone local in your area that has great understanding of this stuff and let them fix your problems.. this way the blame is shifted to a nameless person you know as "the computer guy" and no I wouldn't recommend dell outsourced technicians for this or geeksquad.. need to find someone that speaks "geek" well..
I would trust anyone on this forum more than I would trust the Geek Squad. Can I fly you from Denver? His computer guy charges waaaay too much money. Well things are calmer today. What works for me now is to leave the profile of an open network where my laptop connects to, and then I connect to my own. This didn't use to work before the driver update so maybe a little "fix" happened with that. This is how he used to connect. This morning, he was fine from booting up from hibernation.

The router is pretty new...only a year and half old. If the PCI card works for me, then I know it's half hardware and half software. My HP laptop does not have a connection issue, even through a VPN so I think Dell is behind in trying to adapt to WPA technology. If he continues to have this problem, we will order a 1390 compatible PCI card for him. He claims that the one time he hardwired on the wall, his stream speed was degraded and he had more "problems". Talking to my hubby about tech stuff is like explaining rocket science to a 4-year old. His mind just shuts down when he starts hearing IP address, encryption, yadiyadiya.

Thanks so much for your helpful posts, and understanding as well!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
I actually think this is a good logical next step.
My router is old, I don't doubt hers is too.
There was a reason I never put security on my wireless then ended up turning it off, due to it not working correctly.

Quote:
The router is pretty new...only a year and half old. If the PCI card works for me, then I know it's half hardware and half software. My HP laptop does not have a connection issue, even through a VPN so I think Dell is behind in trying to adapt to WPA technology. If he continues to have this problem, we will order a 1390 compatible PCI card for him. He claims that the one time he hardwired on the wall, his stream speed was degraded and he had more "problems". Talking to my hubby about tech stuff is like explaining rocket science to a 4-year old. His mind just shuts down when he starts hearing IP address, encryption, yadiyadiya.

Thanks so much for your helpful posts, and understanding as well!
While it's new to you, I think it's older then that. I can't find the exact model but if it's the one I think it is, I don't think it's all that new.
Quote:
I have a Linksys 54WG.
Can you look at it again and post the exact model?
I assume you're in the US..

This is the one I think you have? WRT54G

I have the WRT54GS which I'm almost sure is newer then the other model I linked to. I'm positive I bought it in 2005 or 2006

If I'm buying a new one, it's going to be wireless N technology
Linksys products

Newegg wireless networking

Quote:
I'm really frustrated now, as hubby is blaming me for everything (but that's a whole new different issue!)
I sympathize.
We're having issues (think I mentioned it) and after having the tech out, our phones are still messed up. I can only do what I can.

I think the new router suggestion is good. If you post the exact model, we can google to see if anyone else is having issues. If it's the router I think you have, I would put it away and buy a new one with better, newer technology, especially since there are client files you're trying to protect.

Look at it this way, either you spend money on a new router to see if that's the issue or you call someone in, I myself would put the money towards a new router.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:51 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
There isn't (IMO) such a thing as hardware that only works partially. If you had a hardware problem, either with the router or with the PCI card you would know it. Nothing would work under any circumstances. That you have been able to establish connectivity albeit sporadically indicates a setup issue. You do not want a 1390 compatible PCI card unless you are using Mac systems. Maybe not even then. I have the same router as you. It is perhaps five or six years old as the previous poster said. They are still being sold even as we speak, which is why yours is newer. Five years is not too old to do WPA by any stretch. Even if you replace the router it is clear you would still need someone to come in and set it up. My advice: call your cable provider. Let their tech figure out how to get you and your hubby connected. They can, and will, do it. Carefully watch the setup and document the steps this time. If you need a new router let them tell you that and let them provide it. Likely they will replace both your cable modem and router with a combination unit that will serve as both wired and wireless distribution point for the Internet feed. The cost will be rolled into your monthly bill. Final question: is hubby able to connect laptop to unsecured networks in the neighborhood?

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or