U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:38 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There isn't (IMO) such a thing as hardware that only works partially.
You are incorrect (IHMO)..

Just for starters..
I once troubleshooted a router that was fine for many years sending wirelessly port 25 SMTP for email.. then I got called it cause it wasn't.. that hardware worked fine except for the fact the ability to send email no longer worked.. does it not sound like it worked fine partially in this scenario?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
In this instance I am correct. It is not a hardware problem. But I am not going to argue with you. I for one do not have the money to simply go out and buy PCI cards or routers when I have connectivity issues, I actually have to knuckle down and solve the problem with brains and patience vs cash. Either will work but my way saves me $$$ and I simply imagine everyone likes solutions that save money as well.

H

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,754,719 times
[quote=Roselvr;6897317]I
This is the one I think you have? WRT54G
quote]

You are correct. This is the one we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There isn't (IMO) such a thing as hardware that only works partially. If you had a hardware problem, either with the router or with the PCI card you would know it. Nothing would work under any circumstances. That you have been able to establish connectivity albeit sporadically indicates a setup issue. You do not want a 1390 compatible PCI card unless you are using Mac systems. Maybe not even then. I have the same router as you. It is perhaps five or six years old as the previous poster said. They are still being sold even as we speak, which is why yours is newer. Five years is not too old to do WPA by any stretch. Even if you replace the router it is clear you would still need someone to come in and set it up. My advice: call your cable provider. Let their tech figure out how to get you and your hubby connected. They can, and will, do it. Carefully watch the setup and document the steps this time. If you need a new router let them tell you that and let them provide it. Likely they will replace both your cable modem and router with a combination unit that will serve as both wired and wireless distribution point for the Internet feed. The cost will be rolled into your monthly bill. Final question: is hubby able to connect laptop to unsecured networks in the neighborhood?

H
I thought I would need a 1390 PCI card if for my husband's laptop since he has a 1390 WLAN card on his (his is older than mine). Are you saying that if he were to go this route, he would also need a 1395 PCI?

The phone company people did set up the router. We are even paying for the faster speed. I asked them to set it up as WPA in the beginning, but the tech that came in didn't know how to do that (see what I mean?) so he set it up as WEP. It was very annoying to have to key in the 26 char when setting up printers. If I call them back and have them re-configure the settings, I would have to specifically have a person who would know how to configure it to WPA, or in the situation where I replace the router, to WPA2. And yes, if we ever had to go that way, I will watch, take notes, and ask questions. On both cases, the initial set-up of the phone company using WEP, and the geek's resetting to WPA, I was not available to watch. This would not be happening otherwise as I take good notes. I guess I don't really understand the arbitrariness of the connection. I don't have a problem connecting to an open network around me. I have added that open network to my selected profiles because sometimes, I don't have the time to play around and I just want to check my e-mails quickly. This morning, I could connect to this open network (linksys default) but could not connect to my own. Tonight, I connected to linksys, but was able to transfer to my own with no problem. This issue only started happening with the change from WEP to WPA and sometimes it happens on my machine, and sometimes it happens to hubby's machine. It never happens to the desktops that are either hard wired or operating on a Netgear adapter. If it is the router setup, why does it work on the desktops?

I will wait to see if the PCI card from Dell solves my problems first before I go out buying a new router. I am overwhelmed with the variables and trying to narrow down what is causing the problem. Getting a new router and an incompetent tech (either from the phone company or anywhere else) will add a new variable to the equation and I cannot afford a new problem arising at a very critical time. My hubby's business involves daily downloads from the software vendor and the IRS; a failed connection in the middle disrupts the download and causes massive problems unfortunately.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:17 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
I started doing some research last night after the poster posted after my last post.

What i found was: (and I'm just going to paste some stuff in, so that facts are in one place, I'll have to stop to run out)

Dell Inspiron 1520 - XP sp3
Linksys router -WRT54G
PC Anywhere
ISP = Comporium

PC's --
3 laptops - Dell Inspiron 1520 - 1395 WLAN Dell wireless mini-card
Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard
Release Date: 9/2/2008
Version: 4.170.77.3 (Driver); 4.170.77.13 (Application) , A20

From what I can see - Modem, Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n for 1395 wireless card

Hubby's Dell -
Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard
Release Date: 9/2/2008
Version: 4.170.77.3 (Driver); 4.170.77.13 (Application) , A20

HP work laptop running on a VPN connects automatically to router

2 desktops going
- Are the desktops wireless as well?

WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router -
* All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point
* Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G clients
* Wireless data rates up to 54Mbps -- 5 times as fast as Wireless-B (802.11b), but also interoperable with Wireless-B devices (at 11Mbps)
* Advanced security: Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA), wireless MAC address filtering, powerful SPI firewall

Dell Inspiron 1520 @ Cnet review
Dell Tech Support 1520 inspiron - Connect To A Wireless Network - not sure if you've been there but there are a bunch of trouble shooting options
Post about issue
HP post on issue that got resolved (http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1003226 - broken link)

Now, I was trying to figure out the difference between your internal wireless and your hubby's. If you look at what I posted, they both use the same driver. While technically they are the same, I actually wonder if yours has known issues, but I haven't been able to dig in that deep to see.

Next suggestion is to use a notebook wireless card, link, this will allow you to see if it's the wireless adapter built in to your laptop or the router.

As I said, the router isn't the newest technology, and with them being cheap, I myself would go with a new router, possibly a wireless card for the laptop and go from there.

I've seen some routers that work better with some parts then others; could be the router is flaky.

Linksys WRT54G - tech support - you will see the firmware on the top right.

I notice the inspiron internal card is Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n the router is wireless "B" - does anyone know if this would be an issue? Been a while since I had to deal with this stuff

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM

9,640 posts, read 10,030,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I started doing some research last night after the poster posted after my last post.

What i found was: (and I'm just going to paste some stuff in, so that facts are in one place, I'll have to stop to run out)

2 desktops going - Are the desktops wireless as well?
Most likely not. But they could be. One of my desktops has a wireless card that I put in. In an apartment where you are not allowed to drill walls etc. wireless PC cards make for very low impact network installations. CAT 5/6 cables could become extinct in this decade.

Quote:
WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router -
* All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point
* Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G clients
* Wireless data rates up to 54Mbps -- 5 times as fast as Wireless-B (802.11b), but also interoperable with Wireless-B devices (at 11Mbps)
* Advanced security: Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA), wireless MAC address filtering, powerful SPI firewall

I notice the inspiron internal card is Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n the router is wireless "B" - does anyone know if this would be an issue? Been a while since I had to deal with this stuff
From your own research you found the model number of the router matches the o.p.'s (an mine as well). The "G" in the model name is for 802.11g. Thus the router is not "B" so it is not an issue. In any case "B" and "G" interoperate well which was the point. If there is a "B" device anywhere in the network the entire works will kick down to "B" speed. Speed is the only difference. As you can see there is plenty of functionality in that ancient router. FIOS customers don't even max out a "G" speed router. "N" is only warranted for realtime video streaming on an internal network but no ISP is offering bandwidth that requires an "N" standard router AFAIK. In any case bringing new hardware into an issue of setup conflict will not solve the issue. The new router will still need to be setup. May as well setup the existing one properly and call it good.

H

Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM

Okay the mini card came in the mail. I'm deathly afraid to open the back of my laptop. I've read the instructions but I'm too tired and too full from a good dinner tonight. I hope I didn't static the thing already, as I'm known to be a walking lightning rod! Other than the warnings and guidelines in the manual, any other tips I should follow? I'm seriously static-ky so I think tomorrow, I'd walk around barefoot when I approach my laptop. What does static do as I'm installing this card anyway? Not that I won't do anything to prevent it at all costs, but just my luck (which is not much lately) it would happen anyway. I know I'm supposed to remove the battery, but I don't have one of those wrist straps thingy (a technical term, BTW!) to eliminate ESD. Sorry I'm so paranoid but I'm afraid to make things worse.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:52 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Well, the fear will do in you in from my standpoint..

I handle 100's of computers parts a year.. I never bother with anti-static wrist strap.. it just doesn't happen very often.. I have done static discharges on computers (where I noticed the snap) and they have worked afterword.. if you’re worried buy a wrist strap.. if you can live it with don't bother.. a normal mini-pci laptop card takes about 5 minutes to swap.. after you've broken out the little Phillips head screw driver kit..

I know that computer manufactures that handle parts all year round have toasted some of theirs from supposed anti-static discharge but then again it could have been DOA too?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:39 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay the mini card came in the mail. I'm deathly afraid to open the back of my laptop. I've read the instructions but I'm too tired and too full from a good dinner tonight. I hope I didn't static the thing already, as I'm known to be a walking lightning rod! Other than the warnings and guidelines in the manual, any other tips I should follow? I'm seriously static-ky so I think tomorrow, I'd walk around barefoot when I approach my laptop. What does static do as I'm installing this card anyway? Not that I won't do anything to prevent it at all costs, but just my luck (which is not much lately) it would happen anyway. I know I'm supposed to remove the battery, but I don't have one of those wrist straps thingy (a technical term, BTW!) to eliminate ESD. Sorry I'm so paranoid but I'm afraid to make things worse.
Stop stressing.
Take everything into the kitchen, before you open it up, touch the side, you'll be fine.

My hubby bought a strap from CompUSA years ago, we never use it.

This is why I suggested what I did. Your laptop should have the slot on the side to throw the card into, all you do is pop it in.

Are there any local places that are authorized to work on Dell's?
With Compaq, I always had a local place. I remember the days of being nervous, things have changed so much with the web. You can find a tutoprial for everything these days.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
This is why I suggested what I did. Your laptop should have the slot on the side to throw the card into, all you do is pop it in.
No, that space is for Express cards. The mini card goes at the back after I unscrew the cover. I have to take off the "antenna" connections. I found the instructions in the manual. For now, everything is working okay. I think I'll save the card for when things are not working at all (again) if ever.

Thanks everyone for your help. You guys/gals are awesome and patient!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or