U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,754,719 times

Advertisements

Less than a week ago, we have had our tech person change our router security from WEP to WPA. Since then, I found myself not automatically connecting to our network when I boot up my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with XP on it. I open the wireless card utility and attempt to connect, including putting on my 8-char pass key. The only time I can connect is if I reset the router. I have never had this experience when the security was set to WEP. I have had to alert everyone connected in the house that I am resetting the router and it gets very annoying. Can anyone please tell me if I have some setting that is making it do this? My husband has another Dell laptop and his seems to be fine. It happened once with his, but it seems that it is happening more on mine. I also noticed that I have a 1394 connection and was enabled. I disabled it but I really don't think this is the reason. Should I leave it enabled? He has PC Anywhere and I would need to be able to log on to his laptop when he's away using PC Anywhere. I know these 2 are probably unrelated but I thought I'd ask anyway. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Wow.. your 2nd problem/question makes it more of a doosie.. (do to all the writing out)

Okay, problem one wireless.. I suggest you make sure you have the following SP3 for xp at a minimum you want sp2 (you can right click my computer and do properties should tell you your service pack number) and that you update your wireless card driver.. those are the two steps I would start with..

It's been years since I worked with PC Anywhere.. so I honestly do not know what port it operates on anymore.. there are 2 main problems in connecting to a computer remotely.. (this doesn't include internal static IP/dhcp leases etc. for long term use)

1. is knowing the Internet IP address of your ISP.. often enough a lot of these addresses are dynamic (meaning they change..) when that is the case the best way to deal with that is to use Dynamic DNS.. which is a registration service.. which basically allows you to connect to your pc.. with a domain name.. for example.. mypc.mydomain.com would be one such address...

2. The 2nd thing you have to do is forward the port number that pcanywhere operates on via your router.. maybe 5901?? (you need to look it up.. or google it) to the computer that is running the receiving software.. but I highly suggest if you have the following editions of windows.. XP Pro, XP Media Center, Vista Ultimate that instead you use on the remote PC.. Terminal Services or as called.. Remote Desktop.. (which only requires that you setup a password to make it work on windows) I can tell you that the Remote Desktop port = 3389 (it's what I use) I do control my desktop from remote locations or my pocketpc all the time..

Okay, here's basic starter instructions.. let me know if want more detailed (written help) because it does require a lot of explanation.. there are 3rd party tools to use besides Remote Desktop.. like the logmein.com site and vnc however.. I'm just picky I know Remote Desktop is the best (uses math 1, 0's for desktop.. has features to allow all or no colors.. can play music (decently) and will even try to do videos.. (awful at that))

Last edited by themaster; 12-29-2008 at 09:29 PM..

Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 PM

themaster - thank you for your reply.

As far as the first one is concerned, yes I have SP3 on my laptop so I guess that rules that out...I mean my having to reboot the router constantly since we've changed to WPA, and again, only my laptop is experiencing this problem.

As far as PC Anywhere, we have not tried that yet. I enabled back the 1394 since I don't know what I'm doing. As soon as I try to use this PCAnywhere and am not able to do it, I'll post a follow-up. The techie tested it though, but strange things ALWAYS happen after your techie leaves. We all know that.

I'll be back if my laptop keeps getting kicked off the network, and then I'll have to e-mail Mr. Techie.

Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
bibit612 ... I've been forced to reset my router a number of times lately and we've had no tech people here nor have made any changes. I have zero explanations to why my desktop with its wireless gadget (as well as my daughter's laptop and my laptop both with built-ins) will connect fine at one point and then not so fine later on. I just know that a trip to the router will show me that all the pretty lights are still flashing away except the one for the wireless.

I have Comcast. Do you?

Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
bibit612 ... I've been forced to reset my router a number of times lately and we've had no tech people here nor have made any changes. I have zero explanations to why my desktop with its wireless gadget (as well as my daughter's laptop and my laptop both with built-ins) will connect fine at one point and then not so fine later on. I just know that a trip to the router will show me that all the pretty lights are still flashing away except the one for the wireless.

I have Comcast. Do you?
No I have Comporium, down here in SC. I just hate having my hubby blame me for the disconnects, when I actually had his laptop in mind when I had it changed over to WPA from WEP! It just hasn't been this frequent before when we had WEP. Of course, maybe all our neighbors are home and logging on to their networks so there might be a lot of traffic. Maybe that has nothing to do with it either, but I'm no techie and that's why I'm here! Guess I have no choice but to reset...today I was fine, booted up and it automatically connected. So did my work laptop, so I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops going on fine. But tomorrow is another day, and we'll see!

Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Making the change from WEP to WPA seems to be the cause of your problem.. per your description..

You should update your wireless card driver.. run windows updates (maybe it'll have a driver update) or head to your laptops manufacturers site and see if something is new..

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Making the change from WEP to WPA seems to be the cause of your problem.. per your description..

You should update your wireless card driver.. run windows updates (maybe it'll have a driver update) or head to your laptops manufacturers site and see if something is new..
There seems to be a new driver for my WAN card. I opened up a chat session to see if I need this. Excellent suggestion...thanks!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:47 AM

Well, I got a real idiot for a tech support guy in Dell, and our chat session got terminated. From my search of forums, this seems to be a prevalent problem with laptops and WPA, although I have not found a solution yet as far as additional drivers or patches are concerned. My workaround this morning was I clicked on the Windows troubleshooting button when I tried to connect and it popped up a dialog box. This seems to force the card to connect to the router, instead of me resetting the router everytime. Would have to happen again for me to see if this is a one time fix or it works everytime.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Less than a week ago, we have had our tech person change our router security from WEP to WPA. Since then, I found myself not automatically connecting to our network when I boot up my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with XP on it. I open the wireless card utility and attempt to connect, including putting on my 8-char pass key. The only time I can connect is if I reset the router. I have never had this experience when the security was set to WEP. I have had to alert everyone connected in the house that I am resetting the router and it gets very annoying. Can anyone please tell me if I have some setting that is making it do this? My husband has another Dell laptop and his seems to be fine. It happened once with his, but it seems that it is happening more on mine. I also noticed that I have a 1394 connection and was enabled. I disabled it but I really don't think this is the reason. Should I leave it enabled? He has PC Anywhere and I would need to be able to log on to his laptop when he's away using PC Anywhere. I know these 2 are probably unrelated but I thought I'd ask anyway. TIA.
Here is a long shot but I'm going to suggest it.

I would connect it via a cord, then run the network wizard on it.
That usually takes care of everything from what I've found.
You then restart and making sure you can access everything, including the other computers. You might have to reshare your folders/files, then shut it down, unplug it, restart and try connecting via the wireless. You should be good to go.

FWIW, usually I see problems with XP Pro.
My son started installing DTV's internet, he also has issues with XP Pro computers.

As for the 1394 connection, ours is always disabled. I disable it in the bios, don't have anything that runs firewire.

What router do you have?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Here is a long shot but I'm going to suggest it.

I would connect it via a cord, then run the network wizard on it.
That usually takes care of everything from what I've found.
You then restart and making sure you can access everything, including the other computers. You might have to reshare your folders/files, then shut it down, unplug it, restart and try connecting via the wireless. You should be good to go.

FWIW, usually I see problems with XP Pro.
My son started installing DTV's internet, he also has issues with XP Pro computers.

As for the 1394 connection, ours is always disabled. I disable it in the bios, don't have anything that runs firewire.

What router do you have?
I have a Linksys 54WG. What do you mean by connect with a cord? Is it the same as plugging my laptop onto a dataport on the wall, or do you mean connect my laptop directly onto the open ports of the router?

And when you say, run the Network Wizard, did you mean the Windows Network Wizard? I'm afraid to touch anything that will involve the other machines, esp. my husband's as he needs it for his business. I'll get skinned alive if his is working, I fool around with it, and his stops working. I am having a terrible time getting the non-English speaking/reading tech support peeps of Dell in India reply to a simple question as to whether I need updated drivers for my WAN card. Mine has a 1395 WLAN Dell wireless mini-card, and my husband's has a 1390, an older version. Thanks for your answer on the 1394...I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but I'll disable it anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or