U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM

1,751 posts, read 6,157,001 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a simple, small app that will let me remotely access my dad's desktop. We bought him a new Vista notebook a couple months ago and, at 82, he's having some problems figuring out how to do things he did on his old WinME desktop.

I saw UltraVNC on Filehippo and will probably give it a try as it's a very simple setup from his side of the fence. I'm not looking for a "go to my pc" type service. I've used Laplink in the past too, but am looking for something basic and easy for him to launch and understand.

Any experience with UltraVNC or other remote desktop (PC to PC) apps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 AM

11,710 posts, read 11,301,056 times
Remote Desktop Connection comes as part of Windows. Read up on it and see if it does what you want.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-30-2008 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks mensaguy, I know Remote Desktop CAN do the trick. The problem is that my father would need to go in and change a bunch of network and firewall settings that could, literally, take him hours to do even if I walk him through it. And if he screws up a setting, I'd get a migraine trying to debug it. UltraVNC allows me to create a setup exe that I can simply mail to him that will setup his notebook so that I can access it. I say "simply," but I've not yet tried to set it up. Then again, I suppose, I could get a trial account with go to my pc and set it up for him. That's a possibility.

Last edited by JTGJR; 12-30-2008 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: additional thought

Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 AM

11,710 posts, read 11,301,056 times
The Remote Desktop connection port is already in the exception list for the Windows Firewall. Generallt, all you need to do is put a check in the box to allow Remote connections.

I haven't seen UltraVNC, but had used VNC thousands of times. It is quite easy to set up.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 PM

4,584 posts, read 8,192,327 times
even with the config capability - you may still need to configure the firewall on his router to allow the right ports for connection. And you should filter that so only YOU can get in.....

Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM

307 posts, read 1,084,586 times
Realvnc has a free version. You might check them out here.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:19 PM

20 posts, read 47,669 times
VNC would still require firewall setup to allow connections, microsofts terminal service client would be the best and easiest in my opinion.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,332,431 times
What's wrong with "go to my PC type of service"? I use logmein's free version and it works great. There's no firewall or router configuration issues. Once its installed, your dad doesn't even have to know its there until he calls you for help, you remote in, and his mouse starts moving around.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 PM

Thanks EscapeCalifornia. If there's a free version, that's great and I'll check it out. But I don't expect to have to use it more than a few times per month and I don't want them to have to pay a monthly charge. Tried to rep you, but was denied. I hate that limitation!

Old 01-01-2009, 12:13 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,332,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Thanks EscapeCalifornia. If there's a free version, that's great and I'll check it out. But I don't expect to have to use it more than a few times per month and I don't want them to have to pay a monthly charge. Tried to rep you, but was denied. I hate that limitation!
Yeah check it out. Create an account with them, then go to your dad's computer and logon to it there. You'll then have the option to add his computer to your account. Once added, their tray icon loads up at startup and you can see that his computer is online when you logon to their web page. I have all of my computers, my parents' computers, and a few others added to my account. The free version is quite fast (limited only by the host's upload speed) and the only thing it lacks compared to the paid version is printer redirection and file transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers