U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 04:52 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
People who spend half their time troubleshooting problems and fighting off viruses are their own worst enemy. I spend exactly ZERO time fighting viruses or spyware on any of the computers in my house. Other problems are pretty rare. Now if you're going to buy an HP loaded to the gills with crapware, then load up 15 IE toolbars and blindly click on every "free offer" you see on the net, I guess you should by a mac because its obvious you lack the common sense required to keep a PC out of the STD clinic.
You know it just occurred to me with the consistent bad economy news.. apple is likely to take a few points in their 1-3% market share.. honestly since the pocketbook matters to most people.. mac sales are going down.. yah! for my favorite team.. ibm clones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:46 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
You know it just occurred to me with the consistent bad economy news.. apple is likely to take a few points in their 1-3% market share.. honestly since the pocketbook matters to most people.. mac sales are going down.. yah! for my favorite team.. ibm clones
Yep, when times are good and daddy's little girl just can't live without a $1500 mac, sure, get it! When daddy's worried about losing his job, an $800 Dell will do just fine.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:31 PM

4,326 posts, read 21,215,314 times
Default I have both

We have 3 Macs and 4 Dells in the house. Mac's are desktops and the Dells are laptops.
I favor the Macs, but use the Dells for work (software must run Windows).
Yes I know I can run Windows on a Mac, and will probably switch when either 1. my work Dell dies, or 2. I smash it to bits out of frustration. My skinny pocket book keeps me from #2.

Recnetly I had a problem with my wireless network, and call Apple support to get it fixed. Talked to a very pleasant person in Canada. He took care of my problem, and even went a little beyond trying to sort out the related issue with my Dell.
I had to call Dell tech support. I talk to a surly individual in India, could not understand one word and had to ask to someone that could speak English I could understand. I finally go another surly techie that did finally get my problem solved.
However, it was a couple of the worst hours I have ever spent on this earth. They wanted to charge me twice for the tech support (I had no arguement with paying for tech support), and he wanted me to 1. run my network without security turned on, 2. reformat my hard drive, 3. had me do the same things over and over again with the same results.
No only would he not listen to my problem, I had to ask him to repeat himself over and over.

We finally got the problem fixed by restoring the settings from 2 days before.

My point is, if you ever have to talk to someone about an issue, you would never question about choosing Apple or Dell. There is no comparison.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Status: "Settling in for the dreary winter" (set 3 days ago)

3,165 posts, read 2,598,775 times
I was wondering what the OP decided on.

I have a PC laptop that is 4 years old and I'm waiting for it to die...lol. I want a Mac notebook. I've been also a MAC (desktop) user for 8 years. My first MAC lasted 8 years and not one problem. I recently got the new iMAC , love it!

Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 PM

4,357 posts, read 6,538,987 times
I am the OP. I hate Windows and Microsoft and in using them I feel like I must pay a ransom to anti virus, spyware, and malware companies just to keep it operating. On the other hand my MAC is free of these annoyances but the initial expense is too high and Apple charges too much for support and programs. I have decided to go with a laptop with a Linux distro preloaded. I am leaning towards a Lenovo.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am the OP. I hate Windows and Microsoft and in using them I feel like I must pay a ransom to anti virus, spyware, and malware companies just to keep it operating.
You're doing something seriously wrong then. I've never paid for anti-malware software and I haven't paid for anti-virus software in YEARS because:

1) Its easy to avoid malware for free ...

2) There's plenty of good products available for free on the Internet should you actually need them.

Blaming your computer for getting malware is like blaming your car when you drive it off a bridge.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 01-18-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 07:59 AM

You are the only person I know that can find anti-virus software at no cost. Most people, like myself, usually pay companies like Norton, and/or others, and initial cost and then an annual fee to stay virus free. Please share your knowledge with the computing buffs here at CD. I am sure there are many who would benefit greatly from free anti-virus software. Please tell us how to do it.
FYI, I wasn't referring to malware as a single entity but as part of a group of malicious programs intended to wreck havoc with a PC.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:23 AM

535 posts, read 1,573,969 times
don: free.avg.com, there ya go. There are other AVs that are cheap, like NOD32.

One thing I'd do for windows is create 2 accounts. One for administrator so you can install stuff and the other account for day to day use that has user only rights, no power user, no admin.

For spyware protection I use malwarebytes (25.00 but you can get it for free). For people with with free version you can run a scan once/mo and clean everything up.

I have a Mac Mini at home. Cost under 500.00, set it up in August of 2005 and the only things I've done are put an external HD in then upgrade the OS to 10.5. No viruses or anything yet. There are some viruses out there for OS X but they're uncommon. If I was going to target someone I'd go after windows - a lot of people run with admin rights which is bad.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
You are the only person I know that can find anti-virus software at no cost. Most people, like myself, usually pay companies like Norton, and/or others, and initial cost and then an annual fee to stay virus free. Please share your knowledge with the computing buffs here at CD. I am sure there are many who would benefit greatly from free anti-virus software. Please tell us how to do it.
FYI, I wasn't referring to malware as a single entity but as part of a group of malicious programs intended to wreck havoc with a PC.
Tools for staying malware-free:

1) A brain. Nothing beats a good brain and common sense. Think about what you're clicking on before you do it. If you're intent on screwing up your computer by clicking on every cheap come-on on the net, just give up now.

2) Firefox

3) AVG Free Edition

4) Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

None of the things listed here cost a dime although for some, #1 isn't available at any price.

I do run as admin because Windows is a pain to run as a limited user. That's changing with Vista but I still run as admin with UAC disabled. I do have AVG installed but its never alerted on me. Never. I don't have MalwareBytes installed but I use it and AVG frequently to remove junk from people who missed out on #1.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 PM

castufari,

Thanks for the advice!

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers