U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
You know it just occurred to me with the consistent bad economy news.. apple is likely to take a few points in their 1-3% market share.. honestly since the pocketbook matters to most people.. mac sales are going down.. yah! for my favorite team.. ibm clones
Apple has 6 - 8% of the computer market, and something around 85 - 90% of the mp3 market. Mac sales may be going down, but not enough to make you go 'yah!' There are many, many, many long-term Mac addicts that are more than willing to pay the asking price of a new Mac. To them, the price is more than worth it. The only sales that are going to suffer are those long time Windows users who are used to buying a $600 computer. And they moan about that price, but then, these users were always iffy about purchasing a Mac anyways.

As long as Apple keeps producing cutting-edge technology like the iPhone, iPod, AppleTV, etc., the gadget-heads and technophiles will keep them in business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Tools for staying malware-free:

1) A brain. Nothing beats a good brain and common sense. Think about what you're clicking on before you do it. If you're intent on screwing up your computer by clicking on every cheap come-on on the net, just give up now.

2) Firefox

3) AVG Free Edition

4) Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

None of the things listed here cost a dime although for some, #1 isn't available at any price.

I do run as admin because Windows is a pain to run as a limited user. That's changing with Vista but I still run as admin with UAC disabled. I do have AVG installed but its never alerted on me. Never. I don't have MalwareBytes installed but I use it and AVG frequently to remove junk from people who missed out on #1.
Some of these free AV programs require command prompts to install, update, and run. The average home user is going to be lost with all of that. As for your #1; viruses and spyware are everywhere and often disguised as inconspicuous items/pages. You can get infected simply by clicking on or looking at something that you believe is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 11:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Some of these free AV programs require command prompts to install, update, and run. The average home user is going to be lost with all of that. As for your #1; viruses and spyware are everywhere and often disguised as inconspicuous items/pages. You can get infected simply by clicking on or looking at something that you believe is safe.
Tell me, which of the programs I listed required sitting at a command prompt to install, update, or run? This isn't 1994.

As for #1, there's two possibilities: Either I'm such a genius and the only person on Earth capable of avoiding malware, OR it's just not that hard to avoid that junk and the people who get it only have themselves to blame.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 01-21-2009 at 12:05 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 AM

733 posts, read 1,737,709 times
I just prefer my Mac...

had PC's for years, but the Mac is just a better choice for me.....

Old 01-21-2009, 12:25 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,394 times
Quote:
Tell me, which of the programs I listed required sitting at a command prompt to install, update, or run? This isn't 1994.

As for #1, there's two possibilities: Either I'm such a genius and the only person on Earth capable of avoiding malware, OR it's just not that hard to avoid that junk and the people who get it only have themselves to blame.
Evidently, not all of the rest of the users have the same amount of intelligence or knowledge as you do regarding how to surf the 'net. Of course, the 'net in and of itself, and the devices that these peons are using, these two pieces are never at fault... its only the goofballs behind the keyboard - they are the only part of the problem that creates the need to protect from malware.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Eh, you got me. Whoop dee do.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Free versions of AV and anti malware have been around for many years, if you couldn't find one it's because you didn't look, as many dont, they just jump on the Norton or Mcafee advertising bandwagon or pay up because a trial version was included on their new PC.As mentioned, a healthy dose of common sense is your first defense, I run no active anti-virus/malware on any of my PC's, and have never had an infection in my 15 years of PC use.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Quote:
The first part is BS as was already pointed out, the second part is quite correct, banner ads and such on legitimate websites can be a good source, happened not too long ago on a popular legit website. Email, free apps, and P2P are also good sources.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:34 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Quote:
Apple has 6 - 8% of the computer market, and something around 85 - 90% of the mp3 market. Mac sales may be going down, but not enough to make you go 'yah!'
That's U.S. market share.. there world-wide market share is 1% or more like .01%.. you shouldn't even try to play numbers games against Microsoft and clone manufactures they ship to the thousandths power any day of the week vs. apple.. this is why there business model wins and why Mac can get by on innovation.. the only successful and not good *enough* product I've seen out of apple is IPOD..

And honestly when you get right down to it if you get rid of the "home market share" numbers.. then there right down to 1% or less again..

People can claim mac is moving up all they want there are likely more computer users running mac software illegally on x86, then there are actual Mac legal made PC's out there.. (yah, this could be jumping the gun again.. but it could be true as well)

Old 01-22-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
The first part is BS as was already pointed out, the second part is quite correct, banner ads and such on legitimate websites can be a good source, happened not too long ago on a popular legit website. Email, free apps, and P2P are also good sources.
Clam AV, which seems popular, does. I only looked at the Mac version, so maybe the Windows version is different.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM

733 posts, read 1,737,709 times
Apple beats Street in holiday quarter; shares soar (AP) by AP: Yahoo! Tech

Apple beats Street in holiday quarter; shares soar

U.S. consumers may have stayed home this holiday season, but no matter for Apple, which managed to turn a profit in the last quarter as people elsewhere stocked up on iPods, Macbooks and other goodies.

Downandup/Conficker worm infects 9 million PCs : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Judging from the complaints and questions filling my inbox, Windows security looks like it's already on track for its worst year this decade. The latest attack is a worm called Downandup, Downadup, Kido!, or Conficker (all the same thing), and it primarily seems to be being delivered via infected USB drives.

this is why I have an apple......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers