U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times

Advertisements

Ohh, 9 million PCs out of, what? a billion or so? I guess I'll just have to sell the most productive and useful tool I own because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:00 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Clam AV, which seems popular, does. I only looked at the Mac version, so maybe the Windows version is different.
Clam AV for Windows isn't popular. I don't recall ever seeing it on a user's machine.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,204,983 times
The cost difference vs. average user, would heavily favor PC. You can save $500+ for a desktop, and even more for a laptop.

If you use Word, Email and some internet, why would you need a Mac?

Hell if you play games, record audio (which I've done sucessfully on my DAW(s) for 10 years) and do light photo manipulation PCs are good for that too.

And I've had problems with both Mac and PC. Macs freeze; a current Mac at work has a tough time getting online. Something about a IPv4 - IPv6 conflict; an older Macbook had a problem where the graphics chip would separate due to faulty soldering. Also what really ticked me off was when they didn't put firewire on the new Macbook...

Sure my home-built PCs don't look as pretty but they are cheaper and outperform them.

If I had money to burn there is no doubt I'd buy a Mac Pro desktop with a nice big apple display(Close to $5000). Just so I could try Logic out. But even so I'd still be tempted to build my own PC (for probably half that) because I like to tinker.

Knowing PCs well I can deal with problems that may come up. However, a LOT of PC problems in a normal environment have disappeared. A lot of the hapless troubleshooting I was doing years ago on my 486s is no longer. Granted Vista was a step backwards for the average user and muddied things up. However I'm running Vista now and it's fine. (once you disable and configure some things).

When I think about Macs over PCs I think about:

1. The styling.
2. The quality.
3. The OS
4. The "ease" of use.
5. Software availability

The main thing is the OS, that is what make Macs a Mac. Well, that, along with their software suite.

To me, those things aren't worth the price difference.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM

11,544 posts, read 26,367,674 times
I have a five year old Mac. My friend custom built a dual boot PC with W98 and XP on it. last year. I booted it once to see if it works. Since I bought Mac, I have not seen BSOD, a KP, or any type of crash, no virus, no trojan, no malware, no spyware. I rarely apply updates, I never saw a patch I needed. I installed Clam X. I run it twice in five years.

People are forever trying to compare the price of an Apple built Mac to a MS OS. There is no camparison. If you want to compare oranges to oranges then you benchtest similarly built machines with OS X Leopard, Vista and Linux with Mandrake or Red Hat installed. Then you run them together through the same benchmark tests.

What you learn is you've invested approximately $9k in 3 machines that do the same thing. When it comes to actual work whether it is creating a symphony or a scientific paper filled with
citations and formulae, performance wise there isn't a nickels worth of difference between them.

The big diff between PC and Mac is the hardware. A new printer, camera, scanners, fax ... will work perfectly out of the box with a 10 year old Mac. I can't say the same for PC. And my Epson printer works fine with the no name PC, too.

Another diff is Mac users are their own techs. We rarely need to call anyone for help. Satellite TVs are far more troublesome than Mac.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:16 PM

403 posts, read 1,053,765 times
I have an iMac and a Macbook. The first one is the family computer and the second is my personal computer. Yes they are a little pricey but what you need them for will determine whether it's worth your while to spend a little extra.

I'm very simple minded when it comes to computers so for me the macs were my choice due to reliability, cool looks, and the fact that I can run Windows on it if I need to.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:18 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Clam AV for Windows isn't popular. I don't recall ever seeing it on a user's machine.
Well, it has been mentioned in the forum numerous times as the one to get. I don't know if the Mac version is different or what, but it is a Unix program. There is another free AV program that gets a lot of mention on here as well but the name escapes me at the moment. I looked into that one, too, and just like Clam it wasn't plug and play, so to speak.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]

That's U.S. market share.. there world-wide market share is 1% or more like .01%.. you shouldn't even try to play numbers games against Microsoft and clone manufactures they ship to the thousandths power any day of the week vs. apple.. this is why there business model wins and why Mac can get by on innovation.. the only successful and not good *enough* product I've seen out of apple is IPOD..

And honestly when you get right down to it if you get rid of the "home market share" numbers.. then there right down to 1% or less again..

People can claim mac is moving up all they want there are likely more computer users running mac software illegally on x86, then there are actual Mac legal made PC's out there.. (yah, this could be jumping the gun again.. but it could be true as well)
Somewhere between 90 and 95% (depending on your source of info) of all computers worldwide use a Windows OS, so yes, worldwide Apple is still small pickings.

Numbers games? Why would I do that? I want less people to own Macs

Project OSx86, aka Hackintosh are not that popular, partially because the hacked version is all that you get. No support from Apple, no security updates and all other updates are at the mercy of someone getting around to it. Of course you would have to trust that person. Installation takes a bit of computer savvy as well. The typical computer user is going to get lost along the way trying to install it or just give up all together.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
Judging from the complaints and questions filling my inbox, Windows security looks like it's already on track for its worst year this decade. The latest attack is a worm called Downandup, Downadup, Kido!, or Conficker (all the same thing), and it primarily seems to be being delivered via infected USB drives.

this is why I have an apple......
I see so if the reverse were true... and apple had 99% of the computer market and microsoft had 1%.. you'd be saying you love microsoft right?

Because the reason why there are 100,000 virus's for ibm clones/windows platform vs. 10,000 for apple is not cause it's so insecure or awful... it's cause 99% of the world uses it.. meaning if you write a virus to attack windows machine.. you have a greater market to infect vs. a mac virus which while they exist is a joke market to infect..

I bet you the few people writing virus's/adware/whathaveyou for mac don't give themselves a high-five when they don't make the news.. and or no one cares..

Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 PM

34,310 posts, read 59,623,818 times

We interrupt our scheduled programming to bring you an important message...

Way Cool, and that coming from a PC guy.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:36 PM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times
In addition.. here's proof.. that apple is taking a hit.. there growth is slowing..

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090121-apple-earnings-take-a-hit-but-not-a-dive.html

When it comes to hard times it doesn't take a economic genius to tell you people will spend with their pocketbook and opt out of mac feel good marketing to buy cheaper pc's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers