U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:17 AM

712 posts, read 1,963,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
If Mac and PC hardware are the same then why would you be charged 3x more if you own a Mac?
You tell me?? you can build a better PC or buy one that will have at least x2 the specs of a Mac made machine.. and run Mac OSX x86 illegally on it.. and still save yourself $500 minimum even if you buy a Mac OSX license..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times
Not that I want to bash Apple, but their hardware prices have always been over the top. I did a memory upgrade for a client on a Mac Pro, below are links for Apple's price and Crucial's price.

Apple; Memory - Apple Store (U.S.)
2GB $499
4GB $999
8GB $2,399

Crucial; Computer memory upgrades for Apple Mac Pro (8-core Xeon 5400 Series) Desktop/PC from Crucial.com
2GB $86
4GB $120
8GB $340

Which one would you go with?

Old 01-29-2009, 12:10 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,951,394 times
I upgraded the memory in my iMac, and indeed do go w/ Crucial. That price differential is insane.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,808,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Keep in mind when reading this I'm neither pro Windows nor pro Mac, I like both.
There is one thing to blame when getting your PC infected with a virus... you. You did something you shouldn't have done or were not as vigilant as you could have been. I have a Windows desktop and a laptop, I run no active antivirus or anti spyware on either of them, and have never been infected in my 15 years of computing. It's not luck, it's paying attention, being careful, and common sense. When my customers ask me how/why they got the infection that cost them a hundred bucks to clean, I tell them it's because who ever was using it at the time did something they shouldn't have done. If you can afford a Mac get one, the best thing about them is the OS, current Apple hardware is about the same as PC's, but your paying the big bucks for the design and the name.
I'm curious as to how you can do ANYTHING on the Internet without running antivirus or spyware. The only thing I can figure out is that you are running a VERY good firewall that blocks any of these attempts.

BTW, the best firewall out there (IMO) is Comodo. The free version is EXCELLENT.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I'm curious as to how you can do ANYTHING on the Internet without running antivirus or spyware. The only thing I can figure out is that you are running a VERY good firewall that blocks any of these attempts.

BTW, the best firewall out there (IMO) is Comodo. The free version is EXCELLENT.
Its called not being stupid. BTW, a firewall doesn't address viruses and spyware because those are invited in when you click on stupid crap you shouldn't click on. A software firewall will stop worms but a $40 NAT router is a better choice since it can't easily be disabled by malware

Old 01-31-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

I should rephrase that, I don't run any REAL TIME virus or anti-malware apps, I scan with malwarebytes and clamwin AV when I feel a need. BTW, I remove this stuf from clients computers on a daily basis, so I probably have a leg up on the average PC user

Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 AM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
You tell me?? you can build a better PC or buy one that will have at least x2 the specs of a Mac made machine.. and run Mac OSX x86 illegally on it.. and still save yourself $500 minimum even if you buy a Mac OSX license..
No, you tell me, you are the one who made the claim.

OSx86 works fine, but the amount of support that you get depends on if someone wants to be cool and get around to coding an update. Personally, I support Project OSx86, but it will take a lot of work from dedicated hackers to make it work.

A legit copy of OSX will not work on a non-Apple machine without making a modification to the mobo.

No one is denying that a person can build a computer just as powerful, if not more so, than a Mac Pro for less money, but you continuously seem to miss the point; people who buy Macs either (A) can afford them or (B) don't mind the higher price or (C) mind the price, but feel justified in paying it for one reason or another.

Quote:
Not that I want to bash Apple, but their hardware prices have always been over the top. I did a memory upgrade for a client on a Mac Pro, below are links for Apple's price and Crucial's price.

Apple; Memory - Apple Store (U.S.)
2GB $499
4GB $999
8GB $2,399

Crucial; Computer memory upgrades for Apple Mac Pro (8-core Xeon 5400 Series) Desktop/PC from Crucial.com
2GB $86
4GB $120
8GB $340

Which one would you go with?
I should point out that it is well known in the Mac community that Mac users know not to buy RAM from Apple. The people who do, either do not care or do not know any better. The only advantage to purchasing RAM from Apple (or a certified Apple retailer) is that it is considered an OEM product and thus covered by warranty.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I should point out that it is well known in the Mac community that Mac users know not to buy RAM from Apple. The people who do, either do not care or do not know any better. The only advantage to purchasing RAM from Apple (or a certified Apple retailer) is that it is considered an OEM product and thus covered by warranty.
That advise doesn't only apply to RAM, here's another rip off, a 75 dollar 750GB SATA for $300
750GB SATA Hard Disk Drive Kit for Mac Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

Buyer beware definetly applies when buying some stuff from Apple.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:26 PM

8,193 posts, read 22,571,425 times
Quote:
That advise doesn't only apply to RAM, here's another rip off, a 75 dollar 750GB SATA for $300
750GB SATA Hard Disk Drive Kit for Mac Pro - Apple Store (U.S.)

Buyer beware definetly applies when buying some stuff from Apple.
Yeah, I don't know why. It's ridiculous. Even on Apple's own discussion board people will to you not to purchase this stuff directly from Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers