U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:57 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,005,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I would agree with this option. When the installation is done windows reboots the machine in an attempt to boot off of the hard drive, but if the disk is in the drive, and the CD drive is set in the CMOS as the primary boot device, it will boot off the CD every single time. Remove the disk so it can check for the install on the hard drive.
As roselvr said, it won't boot from the DVD unless you hit a key, the exception to this is if the boot loader detects there is no operating system on the hard drive, in which case it will boot to the DVD without prompting to hit a key. I'm curious to see what happens when the DVD is not present, I suspect a non system disk error will occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 04:41 PM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
As roselvr said, it won't boot from the DVD unless you hit a key, the exception to this is if the boot loader detects there is no operating system on the hard drive, in which case it will boot to the DVD without prompting to hit a key. I'm curious to see what happens when the DVD is not present, I suspect a non system disk error will occur.
My guess is that something was done wrong during the build; it would be great to have a parts list.

2 times I've had a similar issue, with my 1st build when I had 4 sticks of ram that were not supported in my motherboard.. it kept looping during the install and another time when the heat sink fan wasn't making correct contact with the processor.

Another guess might be the order of the drives if they are on an IDE cable verses what the jumpers are set to. This is another reason I asked for a parts list, most boards these days only have 1 IDE channel to run 2 drives verses 2 on the board. Everything is now replaced by sata.

Also can be something stupid like a dead cable. I opened a new IDE cable the other day, it was bad right out of the package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or