U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 AM

535 posts, read 1,574,060 times

Advertisements

If you have a thumb drive go over to a friend's house (or work, anywhere with a fast connection) and download it there. If you don't have a USB drive buy one - they're 10.00 and will save you from having to burn CDs for everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 01:18 PM

2,792 posts, read 3,699,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
If you have a thumb drive go over to a friend's house (or work, anywhere with a fast connection) and download it there. If you don't have a USB drive buy one - they're 10.00 and will save you from having to burn CDs for everything.
Yup but I'll have to wait until tomorrow when the library is open,my old laptop won't burn CDs. I wonder if that link is any good? I tried several times to downbload it to the laptop to try it out,it downloaded fine,but got the error message that the start up files were corrupted,whatever that means!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 6,157,859 times
Default Use Process Explorer instead of Task Mgr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
How/where do I find the task manager?
Process Explorer is a much better tool than Task Manager. Microsoft must think so too, since they provide it for download on their TechNet page.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM

11,488 posts, read 21,889,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Well,everything is running SO slow,I can't get ANY websites to open. I wonder if I can download it on another PC & put it on CD then put it on?
What computer are you on now?

FWIW, tap F8 as it is booting, it will offer you the option to start in safe mode with networking, select that, then go to Panda scan and see if it cleans it up.

You can also click start - then go to Msconfig in XP - see if there is anything starting there that you can disable.

FWIW, just because AVG says you have a trojan doesn't mean it's true it could be a false positive. We use Avast AV which is free and seems to be the one most computer sites recommend these days. AVG was popular but was giving a lot of false positives

As was mentioned, go get yourself a thumb drive.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 PM

how do I know which processes to turn off in task manager? I installed Malwarebytes & did a full scan & found nothing.Neither did Avast. STILL unable to open any pages at all. Uninstalled AOL again but still lots of stuff w/ AOL init when Idid a search.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM

I think your best bet is to go to a forum that specializes in this.

Startpage.CPM post
Post 2
post 3

As for the msconfig, what I've done is googled what I've seen. I usually start at the bottom as newer things go down there. I don't have any more time but I'd look for something that says startpage in the entry.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:40 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
Yeah, I've been sending people to BleepingComputer, too, though there are also some other good sites. Some of the same people helping you at one place may also be seen on another site.

BTW, KsStorm, if you go to one of these sites, be patient because they may not get to you immediately.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Yeah, I've been sending people to BleepingComputer, too, though there are also some other good sites. Some of the same people helping you at one place may also be seen on another site.

BTW, KsStorm, if you go to one of these sites, be patient because they may not get to you immediately.
Good to know that someone's been there as I haven't.
I did a google search for the trojan and that's what came up. He's already a few days into this, if it was me I'd want it resolved by now.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks! I posted my problem on Bleepingcomputers. Sure hope they can help me figure it out!!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
I was doing a little reading and found a couple of things that might help. One was to turn off System Restore. Here is another version of the instructions from Symatec. The reason for doing this is that is because when it is on, it might back up the bad stuff, so when you reboot, the virus or whatever, is restored.

The second thing was to run the AntiMalware program FROM the thumb drive.

Another thing is to run it again, in safe mode, or else run it in safe mode on the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers