U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 05:23 AM

252 posts, read 992,010 times

Advertisements

My icons on my desktop take entirely too long to open, are these issues repairable? If so, how do I go about doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:17 AM

535 posts, read 1,574,060 times
Are they slow to load, slowly "revealing" themselves?

Make sure your antivirus is up to date. I'd also run a spyware scanner, like malwarebytes (malwarebytes.org). Run it a couple of times.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:34 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
You might want to check what programs are preloading when you're booting. I know that older programs running can affect desktop icons. In my case, after I finish playing an older game that requires a different desktop setting (lower resolution), it takes a little bit for all my icons to re-reveal themselves once my system's settings are returning to normal resolution.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:33 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Visual Effects

Fill radio button for Adjust Best Performance

Click OK and wait.... screen goes to gray scale and back

This will speed up performance in general, including the icons, menus opening, displaying anything on the screen. It shuts off all those fancy, not required effects, like fade in/fade out, etc.

I turn this off on every PC I work on if it has speed issues and I have never received a single complaint. People don't even realize it's not on.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 AM

11,717 posts, read 11,305,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Visual Effects

Fill radio button for Adjust Best Performance

Click OK and wait.... screen goes to gray scale and back

This will speed up performance in general, including the icons, menus opening, displaying anything on the screen. It shuts off all those fancy, not required effects, like fade in/fade out, etc.

I turn this off on every PC I work on if it has speed issues and I have never received a single complaint. People don't even realize it's not on.
Excellent advice! I only have one thing to add. Avoid putting actual documents, folders or programs on your Desktop. Put them somewhere else (say, in My Documents, for instance) and place a shortcut on the Desktop. This helps your computer start faster since the Desktop has to load as your profile is activated and the shortcuts are much smaller files than their targets.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Excellent advice! I only have one thing to add. Avoid putting actual documents, folders or programs on your Desktop. Put them somewhere else (say, in My Documents, for instance) and place a shortcut on the Desktop. This helps your computer start faster since the Desktop has to load as your profile is activated and the shortcuts are much smaller files than their targets.
I agree!

Remember: Icons on your desktop use an inordinate (25 cent word!) amount of resources. Keep them to a minimum. I use the Quick Launch Bar for the majority of my icons. Fewer resources (they are, by definition, shortcuts) and it only takes a single click to open. In addition they are available for clicking without having to return to the desktop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers