U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:53 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,710,538 times

Advertisements

I am wondering why all the new laptops I am looking at have that glossy screen that reflects stuff behind me and probably causes eyestrain.

It is hard to believe that screens would be sold that cause eyestrain.

Do they? Are the sticky sheets that are sold to prevent glare on laptop screen effective and worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:12 PM

535 posts, read 1,574,060 times
They do well in bright conditions. I have some clients who use them in a retail setting and love them.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:46 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Adjusting the angle of the screen just a little can resolve the glare issue.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,336,945 times
Glossy LCDs look great and have amazing color saturation but you do have to be careful where you put them. I wouldn't put one on a wall opposite a window. Any monitor will get glare doing that but the glossy ones are worse. I haven't seen anything you can put over them to reduce the glare but I'm sure anything that attempted it would also reduce the image quality substantially too.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,571 times
I think they're terrible and make it hard to see the screen. You might try a 3M privacy filter. It would give privacy and block the glare.

3M US: Computer Filters

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,702 times
My wife has one of those smooth type screens. I like it a lot better than mine. Being bigger helps, too.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:44 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
I have a Matt screen on my old laptop Dell Latitude D620. After having seen my Macbook Pro 15.4" Intel processor with glossy screen - I find that the images are so bright and vivid that I have to turn down the brightness.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM

34,310 posts, read 59,623,818 times
I have a Dell Laptop with a 17" glossy TrueLife screen.
I love it, but I try to have my lighting overhead, and not behind me.
Lights behind me do give too much glare, but are not really necessary, either.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,710,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I think they're terrible and make it hard to see the screen. You might try a 3M privacy filter. It would give privacy and block the glare.

3M US: Computer Filters
I hate them. For a laptop you travel about and use the computer in various places. Also, in a business environment desk orientation generally does not consider the direction that the light is coming from.

It is true that over time eyestrain creates stress, and a shiny screen does not seem necessary. Wacom, which some call the industry leader in artist tablets, has a mat finish to avoid the glare (as well as to add texture) because staring through glare over time will increase weariness even though the worker is not aware of it doing so.

The customer might not be expected to know these things, but the manufacturers certainly should. So, someone, for some reason, thought this was a good idea or a cheaper idea and the rest followed.

I found, also, a 3M site for laptop screens, but they are both removable and can be kept on when the notebook is closed:

3M anti-glare, anti-static and anti-radiation filters relieve eyestrain.

3M Frame-less Privacy Filters for Notebook Laptop and Desktop LCD - safeguard delicate LCD displays and protect confidential documents. Monitors
Features of the 3M Frame-less Notebook and Desktop Privacy Filter would include:
  • 3M's privacy technology blacks out the monitor so that only the person directly in front of the monitor can see on- screen data
  • This filter protects delicate LCD screens from scratches , fingerprints, or more serious damage
  • Filters attach and detach easily, and can remain in place when the Notebook is closed
  • Anti-glare surface with increased contrast
I just wondered if anyone knew WHY companies are making those shiny screens?
Retailers have mentioned complaints by customers about them.
The LED screens, someone told me, are not as glossy, but they are often a more costly upgrade. I don't know how true that is.

Last edited by goldengrain; 01-02-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 PM

28,617 posts, read 40,594,929 times
I spend the majority of my computing time (and I spend a LOT of time on a computer) in front of a laptop with a "shiny" screen. All I do is angle it so there is no light source reflecting on it behind me, or adjust it so a light source can't reflect directly into my line of sight.

I simply do not understand the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or