U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:13 AM

956 posts, read 3,631,729 times

Advertisements

Santa brought me a Sony turntable that allows me to tranfer vinyl (albums) to my hardrive. The turntable connects to the computer with a USB cable. My problem is that I get no sound thru my computer speakers. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 AM

588 posts, read 2,585,886 times
Need some more details. The turntable presumably came with a driver on a CDROM. Have you installed that? Are you using an audio app that came with the turntable, or something else?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:20 PM

juggler:
I'm using the software that came with the turn table, it is installed. The name of the product is Sound Forge Audio. When the turntable is connected to the computer, I can transfer music. However, I don't get anything thru the speakers. Not only that, but as long as the turntable is connected at a USB port, I can't get any sound thru the speakers from any source. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable, the speakers work just fine.

Last edited by Rtom45; 01-02-2009 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 PM

Assuming Win XP here, if you go into Control Panel, click on Sound and Audio Devices, then click on the Audio tab, what is the Sound Playback device set to? It could be that the turntable USB device becomes the default playback device when it is plugged in, thus disabling the speakers.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 AM

juggler:
Thanks, i checked that. The default is Sigma Tel Audio. I made sure that didn't change when I plugged in the turntable. I can get sound from internet radio source and from my flash drive with the turntable connected, I assume from CD's also, but I didn't try that. I'm still not getting sound thru my speakers from the turntable. My turntable has a line/phono switch and I have that set to line (although I did try the phono setting just to see). My speakers do work on my stereo system when I plug the phono jacks into the amp.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 01-03-2009, 04:45 PM

According to this website, a downside to the Sony Sound Forge is that it does not support pass through audio, i.e. you are not able to hear what you are recording.

I looked at some of the other turntable suppliers out there. I saw that Ion turntables use Audacity software for recording, and it DOES support pass- through audio. Last time I checked, Audacity was freeware, so you might try downloading that, enabling pass through, and see what happens.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:36 PM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
If it's USB it's already digital and the encoding has been done. In that case it's nothing more than transferring the audio stream to the HDD. Slight technical difference. Audacity might work however it may not support the hardware.

Just a FYI for those reading this considering doing this, you don't need a special turntable to do this although one specifically made for it may produce better quality audio since it's being encoded by the device.

RCA is the common type connections used on analog equipment like turntables, these would be the same as the yellow/red/white used for TV's. Go to radio shack or your local electronics store and get a stereo RCA to mini jack adapter.Plug it into the mic or aux jack on your computer. Use Audacity as described above for recording. The quality from this is "good enough".

There about $4 so it's certainly a avenue to pursue before laying out a lot of cash.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If it's USB it's already digital and the encoding has been done. In that case it's nothing more than transferring the audio stream to the HDD. Slight technical difference. Audacity might work however it may not support the hardware.
Per the second post of the OP, he can transfer the audio to the HDD without a problem, he just wants to hear the audio that he's transferring. That's where the audio pass-through throws a hiccup into things.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM

OK, so if I'm reading this correctly, I'm asking the software to do something that its not designed to do. I guess I can go ahead and record to the harddrive without hearing whats going on. Just seems kind of silly if I have a record that skips and I don't know it when I'm recording. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 AM

40,212 posts, read 41,799,403 times
Doesn't the record player have regular analog output jacks for a normal receiver so you can listen on regular stereo while recording to the computer? You might even be able to hook it up to your computer in that fashion using my suggestion above for those with a regular turntable. Use the analog outputs to listen and the USB for recording.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or