U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,269,130 times

Advertisements

For some reason my Xbox 360 has decided to give me problems.

My network is as follows:

Cable Modem

Runs to Desktop
and
Runs to Linksys Wireless N Broadband Router

Xbox 360 should (at least used to) connect to the Router with ease..

I have since uninstalled the Cisco VPN client.. and still no worky..

My problem is this. I find my router fine through the Xbox and I set IP configuration to automatic..

weird thing is it comes back with an IP address that isn't in my network (and thus I can't get to anywhere on my xbox 360)

For instance.. it should come back with the normal 192.168... etc ip address from my router..

however its getting some 169.174 address and I don't know where its coming from.

Only thing I can think is I recently installed a Cisco VPN client on my desktop and maybe somehow that messed things up??

Does anyone know anything about Xbox wireless connectivity or Linksys routers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 AM

11,715 posts, read 36,334,693 times
The Cisco VPN client on the desktop won't have any bearing on the link between the router and the xbox. The 169.174.x.x address you're getting is a self-assigned IP address. When a Windows PC is set to get an IP address automatically but it can't get one, it will assign itself an address in that range. Apparently the Xbox does the same thing.

Is your Router set to use any type of wireless encryption? If so, what kind? Try running without encryption and see if the xbox will connect. If it works without encryption, you know that's the issue. You're either giving the Xbox the wrong key or something.

Don't leave your router on the default SSID and/or channel unless your nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Having another router nearby on the same channel can cause all kinds of weird issues like being able to see your network, but not connect to it. I find few people use channel 3 so that's a good one to pick. For the same reasons, you never want to use the default SSID of "linksys".

Also, update the firmware on the router. This could simply be a bug that's been fixed.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:49 AM

11,712 posts, read 11,303,041 times
Escape is correct. That kind of IP address is generated internally when a connection is present but no DHCP service is found. That would generally lead you to look at the router as being the troublemaker.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM

4,439 posts, read 8,269,130 times
Thanks! At least that gives me something to look at. Just before it happened I received the red ring on the xbox which may explain something.

The encryption thing has me wondering..

I went to a static IP on the Xbox (one that I knew wasn't in use) and used the same subnet as my desktop and the router IP as the gateway and it still didn't work. That leads me to believe its an encryption setting.

I'll check it out tonight.

By the way is there any website out there that explains the 169 address?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM

1,189 posts, read 3,644,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

By the way is there any website out there that explains the 169 address?
There probably is...basically it means something is wrong.

It is either a hardware (network card is dead, etc...), software (bad drivers), or connection issue (plug the stupid thing in).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers