U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,490,880 times

Advertisements

Sometimes internal devices are connected via USB, too. Does your PC have a memory card reader? I had one that went bad and caused what you describe. Even though it's an internal device, it was connected via the internal USB ports on the motherboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM

175 posts, read 1,346,931 times
Mystery finally solved!! (I think). Today it started making the 'guitar plucking' noise again, but THIS TIME, a little thing popped up from the bottom of the screen and it said "Your USB Mass Storage device can perform faster if it is plugged into a hi-speed port".
Turns out, it was the memory card reader for my digital camera! I always just kept the USB cord plugged in to the PC tower...but it had never made any noises or anything before Well, I unplugged it and the noises have stopped.
Wierd that it didn't do it months ago, when I first had the cord plugged in! Thanks everybody, for your help and ideas!!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 AM

339 posts, read 1,149,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Mystery finally solved!! (I think). Today it started making the 'guitar plucking' noise again, but THIS TIME, a little thing popped up from the bottom of the screen and it said "Your USB Mass Storage device can perform faster if it is plugged into a hi-speed port".
Turns out, it was the memory card reader for my digital camera! I always just kept the USB cord plugged in to the PC tower...but it had never made any noises or anything before Well, I unplugged it and the noises have stopped.
Wierd that it didn't do it months ago, when I first had the cord plugged in! Thanks everybody, for your help and ideas!!
It sounds like the device is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, as has already been said. This may indicate a problem with your device.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM

526 posts, read 942,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hey ya'll---This I do not understand. I have a new Dell XPS series PC. Bought in October 2008, no problems at all. But starting yesterday, there is this weird noise coming from the computer. It occurs sometimes about once every 5 minutes or so (even if I'm not working on the PC and it's on screen-saver). Sometimes the noise repeats over and over a couple of times. It almost sounds like the plucking of a string, like a guitar/bass string or something....up-down, down-up. Like a 'computerized' sounding plucking of a string. There have been NO new additions, downloads, anything like that.

Oh, and when the sound occurs, the cursor momentarilly changes--to the blue circle (like the old hourglass). Anti-virus stuff, firewall stuff, etc. is all up-to-date.
I've held the mouse over all the little icons on the toolbar at the bottom, nothing pops up as "updates needed" or anything like that. What the heck is going on?? My computer is suddenly 'talking to me', but I don't know why, and don't understand what it is saying!! HELP!! It's driving me crazy!!!
stock fans/ power supply from makers assuming you bought a dell hp, or compaq. when you are running a few things at once, when the load on the cpu gets higher, the fan will spin faster, when i installed vista on my friends e machine that was capable, because it was higher requirements on the cpu it would spin and spin like it was going to take off, my suggestion is just open up the side, look at the spinning fan, then start doing various tasks if you hear it getting louder thats the problem, you may need to add another fan to the case, or just let it spin like that and deal with the airplane like noises lol

Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,451 times
My computer is making the same noise, but the only thing attached is the power cord. When it happens, the "tray" at the bottom moves "in and out" a little, by about 1 cm. Help! It's very annoying!!!

Old 04-06-2012, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
I might have an answer to a "wierd noise" on your computer. It might be the Wireless Link in the Control Panel. My noise sounds like a "smothered kind of twanging". Almost science-fictiony. I un-checked the "Play sound when Infrared device in near by" box and it went away. I don't know if this helps anybody. I've got a problem with my page jumping up and down. Particularly when I'm in "OpenOffice". Also my curser disappears and then reappears on another part of the page. Any advice? You can email me at [email]larryasingleton@yahoo.com[/email] Hopefully my putting my email address isn't inapropriate in some way. If it is I apologize. But I am Desperate with a capitol "D" to get rid of this thing and I've looked everywhere for a solution. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
You should start a new thread Larry.

Also no one is going to email you to help you. We don't work like that.
It's not inappropriate to post your email but it's not the smartest thing to do either. You could be exposing your email address to spammer.

Welcome to the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or