U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM

3,823 posts, read 9,241,815 times
Default Running HP All-In-One Scanners in Vista

I just wanted to pass on a tip on how to get an HP All-In-One printer/scanner to scan in Vista. I have a new HP 4580 printer, but couldn't get the scanner function to run in Vista. Do a complete un-install, download the latest software from HP (4500 series comes with V11 on disk, so go to HP's site and download/save V12). Right click on the saved program and click on "Run as Administrator." Plug in the USB cord when it tells you to and there you have it. If done correctly, you'll see the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon in lower right corner of the toolbar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-08-2009, 05:32 AM

6,083 posts, read 7,361,979 times
That advise is good for installing any new hardware, get the latest drivers from the mfg's website as the included ones are usually a revision or 2 old if not older.

Unread 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 6,884,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
I just wanted to pass on a tip on how to get an HP All-In-One printer/scanner to scan in Vista. I have a new HP 4580 printer, but couldn't get the scanner function to run in Vista. Do a complete un-install, download the latest software from HP (4500 series comes with V11 on disk, so go to HP's site and download/save V12). Right click on the saved program and click on "Run as Administrator." Plug in the USB cord when it tells you to and there you have it. If done correctly, you'll see the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon in lower right corner of the toolbar.
I heard of that problem with peripherals on Vista (thus my aversion to buying a Vista Notebook). Check with the support pages on HP United States - Computers, Laptops, Servers, Printers and more, there should be a driver for it. However, even with my daughter's Vista Notebook, I had to reinstall the printer numerous times to get it just to print.

I have taken only 20 minutes to install on my Macbook Pro and get it running perfectly.

Unread 01-08-2009, 09:29 PM

11,730 posts, read 21,963,926 times
It really varies with HP. For some devices, they have a full driver package on the web site for Vista. Others have a basic, print-only driver for an all in one, meaning you lose the scanner function. For still others, Vista has a driver built in and it will print, but unless you have Vista Ultimate or Business, you can't use the scanner because HP has ZERO software on their web site.

Of course 99% of anything sold within the last couple of years is going to have Vista drivers available, usually in the box. Blaming Vista for 3rd parties not supporting their own product is stupid. Don't want you device orphaned when a new OS comes out 6 months later? Don't buy HP. Then again, HPs drivers are so awful, just don't buy HP's consumer crap ever. I'd like to personally flog the driver writers over there. I've even downloaded drivers from HP that claimed to be for Vista and have them do weird things like not print from IE as long as UAC was enabled. Apparently no one in HP quality control prints web pages.

Unread 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM

39,614 posts, read 39,313,947 times
I have aC6280 all-in-one and its works prefectly;never had a problem, at all.Both my wifes laptop and my desktop running Vista.

Unread 01-09-2009, 05:15 AM

6,083 posts, read 7,361,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Of course 99% of anything sold within the last couple of years is going to have Vista drivers available, usually in the box. Blaming Vista for 3rd parties not supporting their own product is stupid. Don't want you device orphaned when a new OS comes out 6 months later? Don't buy HP. Then again, HPs drivers are so awful, just don't buy HP's consumer crap ever. I'd like to personally flog the driver writers over there. I've even downloaded drivers from HP that claimed to be for Vista and have them do weird things like not print from IE as long as UAC was enabled. Apparently no one in HP quality control prints web pages.
You hit the nail on the head

Unread 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,240,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Have fun repeating that process in a week or two when your HP suddenly stops responding and requires a complete uninstall/reinstall of the software. (I'm not wishing this on you, but that's pretty much been my experience with this process).

It does vary with the device. My HP 7210 would spontaneously stop working and require a reinstall every three weeks or so in XP. Now that I have a Vista machine it is better, but it still isn't fully supported. The onboard "scan to" button doesn't work, so instead of hitting a couple buttons I now have to navigate through onscreen menus that take much longer. And for some reason I have to manually resize each scanned page, which gets old when you're scanning a 40 page document. At least some HP models have never been fully supported in Vista - I'm glad yours is, but that might be the exception, not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers