Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

I really believe now that my computer has a virus and it is messing up my internet access.

What are the best ways to get rid of the viruses? And what places are the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM

825 posts, read 2,818,853 times
You need an anti virus software program. AVG has a free program that has done well for me. Download it at AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads

Old 12-01-2007, 09:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
You can scan from the Internet:

http://tinyurl.com/yt4uyk (broken link) Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA (http://tinyurl.com/2xis - broken link)

Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab (http://tinyurl.com/e3dsx - broken link)

Key in "online virus scan" (no quotes) in Google for more!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You can scan from the Internet:

http://tinyurl.com/yt4uyk (broken link) Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA (http://tinyurl.com/2xis - broken link)

Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab (http://tinyurl.com/e3dsx - broken link)

Key in "online virus scan" (no quotes) in Google for more!
Trend Micro is one of the best online free virus scanners I can think of. They take care of Viruses, Spyware, Trojans, and Worms.

First we agree on laptops, now virus scanners.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Trend Micro is one of the best online free virus scanners I can think of. They take care of Viruses, Spyware, Trojans, and Worms.

First we agree on laptops, now virus scanners.
Great minds..........

Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I would do a panda scan 1st, then take it from there. If you are that infected, your best bet is to backup, reformat & reinstall, starting fresh with AV & firewall...

ANTIVIRUS / SECURITY

AdAware - spyware scanner
AntiVir Personal Edition (broken link)
AVG Free Edition - antivirus scanner (recommended)
Avast antivirus - free of charge for HOME users for NON-COMMERCIAL use.
Spybot - spyware scanner
ZoneAlarm - firewall
hijack this
Clam AV -a GPL antivirus toolkit for UNIX
Clam win - free anti virus
Pocket KillBox - Pocket Killbox deletes files that cannot be erased from Windows Explorer.
Get rid of files that stubbornly refuse to allow you to delete them.
spywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web
Windows Defender - Windows Defender is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software

Panda Software online virus scanner. Not software that is installed, but a free scan that usually will remove infections your AV has missed. Panda should be run on a monthly basis. This is not a substitute for AV software, it is used in addition to your AV. Scroll to the bottom of the page, the left bottom will have a link for the free scan. Follow prompts.

Housecall - Free online virus scanner. Just like Panda, this is not AV software; it is to use in addition to on a weekly / monthly basis.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:55 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
If you need help removing malware, you can find free help from one of the ASAP member sites. ASAP is the Alliance of Security Analysis Professsionals. Strict guidelines have to be met before someone can either join as a member or a member site.

The link to ASAP is: Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™

Old 12-04-2007, 10:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
I second Kaspersky - I was in a similar situation just about 3 months ago with one of my Wintel machines and had to act quickly to get it back to normal. Kaspersky can be downloaded and installed for free, and used for 30 days without significant limitation.

In your situation I'd download it, run it and then evaluate if you want to purchase it. I did try several of the other free online virus/spyware checking tools and although I had success with them detecting the bad program I had on my machine none of them actually removed it the way Kaspersky did. I spent way too much time at the free "checker sites" before I found Kaspersky so I hope I save you some time with this advice.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
A couple of things to be aware of if you do a Kaspersky scan, it will take a long time to complete (be patient) and you have to be on Internet Explorer as it uses ActiveX. Also, if you've used anti-malware solftware to clean up whatever problem you have, the Kaspersky scan will still show an infection in your old system restore points. Don't be alarmed by that. At some point you will wish to flush your old restore points anyway.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:24 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
If you are still having issues, you can check out this link, which gives pretty good instructions on what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers